Outrage culture

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 03:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  7 May  2018, 14:22
Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlet Witch in the MCU, went on record to say she wished the corset she wears didn't have to reveal so much cleavage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/05/01/elizabeth-olsen-avengers-costume-scarlet-witch-infinity-war/567787002/

But is the media going to start a backlash against Avengers: Infinity War over this, just as they did against the supposed "sexist" Amazon costumes in JL? Nah.

What was the issue with the costumes? I missed that.

Had a look at her costume and didn't think there was much cleavage there anyway. Could've been much more.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Tue,  8 May  2018, 22:55
Our culture is getting to be where you can't criticize anything without people jumping from 0 to 100. If you don't like a popular movie, you're a non-conformist hipster. If you do like a popular movie, you're jumping on a bandwagon. If you simply try to have a drama-free conversation about film, someone jumps in and it becomes a political war, as if our entire culture hangs on the balance of the sociological applications of movie opinions and how it allegedly shows what's wrong with the world. I'd rather just watch and talk about movies, so I just try to scroll past.

Blame it on the hype culture. The media today is responsible for perpetuating this childish comic book movie feud for over a decade now. First it was over Batman movies, now it's DC vs Marvel. They do this to generate clicks. But the people are even more guilty for buying into this rubbish, and they bully each other by essentially becoming brand whores. Morons.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue,  8 May  2018, 23:03
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  7 May  2018, 14:22
Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlet Witch in the MCU, went on record to say she wished the corset she wears didn't have to reveal so much cleavage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/05/01/elizabeth-olsen-avengers-costume-scarlet-witch-infinity-war/567787002/

But is the media going to start a backlash against Avengers: Infinity War over this, just as they did against the supposed "sexist" Amazon costumes in JL? Nah.

What was the issue with the costumes? I missed that.

When JL was released back in November there was outcry from wankers on Twitter complaining that Wonder Woman and the rest of the Amazons were objectified. There had been several bloggers who despise Zack Snyder, both from a creative and personal level, making tweets claiming the Amazon costumes were too skimpy compared to Patty Jenkins' movie.

For anybody with a fresh pair of eyes and a functioning brain, that's a load of bullsh*t. There were hardly any changes to any of the costumes between the two movies, there even actresses who played Amazon warriors gave positive feedback about the costumes they worn, one even expressed she 'empowered' by wearing it: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbip_CMno49/?hl=en

But it didn't stop certain critics from using this to condemn the movie. Even Jessica Chastain took the opportunity to retweet a blog about this non issue, in a moment of virtue signalling.

But here comes Elizabeth Olsen, an actress in another popular film openly admitting to feeling very uncomfortable about wearing a costume exposing a bit of cleavage...where is the fuss over this? As I said before, the media just loves to foster this comic book movie hostility bullsh*t between the fans who are idiotic enough to fall for it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  9 May  2018, 12:47
[
When JL was released back in November there was outcry from wankers on Twitter complaining that Wonder Woman and the rest of the Amazons were objectified. There had been several bloggers who despise Zack Snyder, both from a creative and personal level, making tweets claiming the Amazon costumes were too skimpy compared to Patty Jenkins' movie.

For anybody with a fresh pair of eyes and a functioning brain, that's a load of bullsh*t. There were hardly any changes to any of the costumes between the two movies, there even actresses who played Amazon warriors gave positive feedback about the costumes they worn, one even expressed she 'empowered' by wearing it: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbip_CMno49/?hl=en

But it didn't stop certain critics from using this to condemn the movie. Even Jessica Chastain took the opportunity to retweet a blog about this non issue, in a moment of virtue signalling.

But here comes Elizabeth Olsen, an actress in another popular film openly admitting to feeling very uncomfortable about wearing a costume exposing a bit of cleavage...where is the fuss over this? As I said before, the media just loves to foster this comic book movie hostility bullsh*t between the fans who are idiotic enough to fall for it.

Oh how ridiculous.

The whole world needs to step back and have a nice cup of "Shut the f*** Up."

Neither Wonder Woman nor Justice League sexualized the Amazons. Sure, there's leg, but it's never "Hey, look how sexy these legs are." Meanwhile, there's Michael Bay going, "Hehe, look at the girl's butt."

I'm struggling with this entire concept. It's tough to think of anything that anybody can wear that won't turn somebody on. I might not find certain things sexy but I'm not naive enough to think that somebody out there doesn't think it's the hottest thing ever. How can a movie possibly be made where a female character's wardrobe doesn't send somebody in the audience into orbit with, ahem, passion.

If Olsen wasn't comfortable with her attire in the movie, too bad for her. Hopefully next time the costume designer will be a bit more sensitive to what she wants.

I can argue there is a big difference between something being sexy/someone finding something sexy and objectification/sexism.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 10 May  2018, 01:41
I can argue there is a big difference between something being sexy/someone finding something sexy and objectification/sexism.
Be my guest.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 May  2018, 02:17
Be my guest.

It all comes down to intentions. Wonder Woman's role in her films hasn't been to arouse the audience sexually. She has a pro-active role that is important to the story. If you cut her out, the story loses a lot. In comparison, they are countless slasher films where the sole purpose of women in the films is to get nude and have a minute affect on the story. If you cut those sort of characters out, you lose absolutely nothing.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 10 May  2018, 10:52
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 May  2018, 02:17
Be my guest.

It all comes down to intentions. Wonder Woman's role in her films hasn't been to arouse the audience sexually. She has a pro-active role that is important to the story. If you cut her out, the story loses a lot. In comparison, they are countless slasher films where the sole purpose of women in the films is to get nude and have a minute affect on the story. If you cut those sort of characters out, you lose absolutely nothing.
And yet people still think Gal Gadot is smoking hot in her Wonder Woman outfit.