Fans launch #ReleaseTheSnyderCut website

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 13:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 03:00 #10 Last Edit: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 03:02 by GoNerdYourself
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Feb  2018, 03:22
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 31 Jan  2018, 13:33
Tragically, I've seen some fans on Twitter (and many of them are listed in that testimonials list on the website) have voiced displeasure over the film because they believe WB robbed Snyder from his true vision. Some even go far to suggest they're actually happy that the film failed at the box office.
I felt that way, and at the core, basically still do. I was fuming mad about the cut content. Do I want to see Snyder's true vision released on home video? You bet. But is it going to happen? No. So there's no point exerting energy about this anymore. What's done is done.

This is how I feel. I absolutely want to see Snyder's cut of the film realized, but it's not going to happen. It's very unlikely WB would exhaust money and resources to finish effects, sound editing/design, color grading,scoring, etc, to finish whatever work needs to be done, which is probably a lot. By comparison, Superman II was a much smaller operation and one that never seemed like it was going to happen until it finally did. (And it still technically isn't what Richard Donner's final version of SII would've been.)

Honestly, I would just be happy to see the scenes released some day, though I wouldn't hold my breath for that either. It sucks, but this is the hand we've been dealt, so let's see where the DCEU goes from here on out.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Mon, 12 Mar  2018, 03:00
By comparison, Superman II was a much smaller operation and one that never seemed like it was going to happen until it finally did. (And it still technically isn't what Richard Donner's final version of SII would've been.)

Donner's cut of SII wasn't even close to a finished product at all. It used a lot of screen test footage, some CGI for certain sequences and recycle the S78 ending because Donner never got the chance to come up with a different ending. Of course as you know, the irony is that ending was originally supposed to be made for the sequel, not the first one.

The thing is none of us really knows how further into Snyder went into production. For all we know, he might've progressed as much as Donner did for his movie, or even less. Or maybe even further. Nobody knows for sure. Too many rumours and speculation are misleading people to get a clear picture. Unless Snyder decides to break his silence and sets the record straight once and for all, the gossip will continue.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 10 Mar  2018, 23:33
It's one thing to be upset over scenes that didn't make it to the final cut. But it's another matter if people are just going to tear the movie apart for even the most innocuous things.

For example, I've seen fans complain about this one moment during the Steppenwolf battle where Batman gives this rather surprised smile. I can't remember when it happens exactly, it might've been when Superman returns.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see what the big deal is. There's nothing really wrong or over the top about this facial expression, and yet, some people are making it out as if it makes a mockery of Batman. Hell, I've seen some people on Twitter going so far to compare Batman in JL as a complete cartoon joke, just because of this and some lines that Whedon reshot.

Again, the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
Listen up, duderinos. I'm not a fan of this smile in particular. I'm not against Batman smiling, case in point against Napier in Axis, and the Strongman in Returns. These give Batman a smug confidence which I like. But the Justice League moment makes him appear like a starstruck fanboy. Yes, I get that Batman was inspired after Superman's death by shaking off some of his darkness. But I think this was a step too far. But is it a deal breaker? No, it's not. The vast majority of the portrayal is too good for this to be a serious issue. It's only for a couple of seconds.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 18 Mar  2018, 00:27
Listen up, duderinos. I'm not a fan of this smile in particular. I'm not against Batman smiling, case in point against Napier in Axis, and the Strongman in Returns. These give Batman a smug confidence which I like.

I'd argue Keaton's smiling in both scenes had an air of unhinged psychosis, but I digress.

But the Justice League moment makes him appear like a starstruck fanboy. Yes, I get that Batman was inspired after Superman's death by shaking off some of his darkness. But I think this was a step too far. But is it a deal breaker? No, it's not. The vast majority of the portrayal is too good for this to be a serious issue. It's only for a couple of seconds.

Okay, that's a rather fair assessment. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the consensus among the DCEU fans at the moment. A lot of them ARE taking a big issue with this. I've looked up a lot of these fans who posted their own little testimonials on that For Snyder Cut website on Twitter, and they're saying JL destroyed everything that's good about Batman from BvS; using that little one second smile as an example. I think it's ridiculous. I'd say both films cover Batman as a vulnerable human being who punches above his weight whenever he can, but he's not a God. This counterargument to this meme below captures this sentiment perfectly.

JL does have things to lament about. I think it's more reasonable to complain about the lack of reaction from the entire globe when Superman returns from the grave, no exploration into how Clark Kent could get his old life back when everybody thought he was dead, as well as the trouble behind the scenes involving Snyder and WB. But this example is beyond pettiness.

But what do you expect? I've seen somebody complaining Batman in JL was a 'coward'. Yeah, really it was really cowardly of him to insist bringing Superman back to life despite the protests and concerns by Alfred and the group, and driving the Batmobile to attack and distract the Parademons. ::)

When it comes to DC, a lot of people lose their minds and their critical thinking is completely warped.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 21:16 #14 Last Edit: Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 21:20 by Azrael

Listen up, duderinos. I'm not a fan of this smile in particular. I'm not against Batman smiling, case in point against Napier in Axis, and the Strongman in Returns. These give Batman a smug confidence which I like. But the Justice League moment makes him appear like a starstruck fanboy. Yes, I get that Batman was inspired after Superman's death by shaking off some of his darkness. But I think this was a step too far. But is it a deal breaker? No, it's not. The vast majority of the portrayal is too good for this to be a serious issue. It's only for a couple of seconds.

Also, don't forget this.

The problems with JL, Batman wasn't one of them. Justice League Batman has always been a bit different than Gotham Batman, a bit more of an adventure hero and less of a Dark Knight. That's not a problem. There was even a JL Animated episode where Batman is singing. Batman, singing.

JL is a disjointed mess with some CG so bad they are distracting, featuring what is possibly the lamest supervillain ever seen in the history of big budget comic book movies. Mediocre character design, CG that looks like early PS3 cutscenes, and the voice/mo-cap actor (the sadly wasted Ciaran Hinds) obviously phoning it in. These are problems, this is part of the reasons this movie is bad, not because Batman smiles.

Storyboard artist Jay Oliva, who worked on BvS as well as known for directing animated adaptations of The Dark Knight Returns and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, has taken to Twitter to tell internet bloggers and trolls alike (at this point, there is not much difference between the two tbh) that a Snyder cut does exist. The video below contains screenshots of what he said.

Oliva is not holding back. The other day, clickbait site Batman-News.com wrote a tweet telling him he needs to stop giving fans a false sense of hope. Oliva's responses are gold:

Ummm who are you to tell me to stop? Seriously what do you care what I share on MY Twitter account. Don't you have some "rumor" you'd rather be covering? Do you have any clue how films nowadays are made? Or how Zack made JL? Were you there? I'm curious please enlighten me.

For a news site you really get your facts wrong. Please do some research and go back in my history if you want to see what I really said about it. As for me stopping, well I'm never gonna stop until #ReleaseTheSnyderCut gets to see the film Zack made.

Fans will be fans. You and I cannot control them. All we can do is try to inform them is a positive and productive manner. I use my Twitter to help educate them because I had inside knowledge about how these films were made. I'm supporting all fans.

Source: https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/1014936048475037696

I'm glad somebody is putting the clickbait mongers in their place, I'm tired listening to their pathetic gossip.

Oliva is probably in a better position to speak intelligently about a Snyder cut.

But, based on what has been made public, I would imagine calling this thing the "Snyder cut" gives it a level of credibility it may not deserve. My understanding is that Snyder's version needed some reshoots and a complete score by Junkie XL. Probably completed visual effects as well.

Put simply, the movie isn't finished. And it's probably not possible anymore to finish it to Snyder's satisfaction.

I would love to be wrong about all of this, believe me. But I'm thinking that Whedon's hackjob mess is the best we can hope for.

Zack, if you're reading this, I am BEGGING YOU to prove me wrong because I don't want Whedon to have the last word on this film.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 15 Jul  2018, 00:01
But I'm thinking that Whedon's hackjob mess is the best we can hope for.
This description also fits Whedon himself.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 15 Jul  2018, 00:01
Oliva is probably in a better position to speak intelligently about a Snyder cut.

But, based on what has been made public, I would imagine calling this thing the "Snyder cut" gives it a level of credibility it may not deserve. My understanding is that Snyder's version needed some reshoots and a complete score by Junkie XL. Probably completed visual effects as well.

Put simply, the movie isn't finished. And it's probably not possible anymore to finish it to Snyder's satisfaction.

I would love to be wrong about all of this, believe me. But I'm thinking that Whedon's hackjob mess is the best we can hope for.

Zack, if you're reading this, I am BEGGING YOU to prove me wrong because I don't want Whedon to have the last word on this film.

I think the people involved in this Snyder cut movement are perfectly aware that his vision for JL isn't 100% finished. At this stage, they don't care. From what I've read of their comments on social media, they'll be happy with a cut that's 70% completed, even if it's less than that. Of course this should go without saying, but it's a show of support for the director too.

Regardless, this was what Oliva told Forbes writer Mark Hughes on Twitter:

I think they [the fans] are responding to people saying that the Snydercut (prior to Whedon's involvement) does not exist and is not a cohesive story because Zack left. It may not be 100% polished but all of the planned scenes were shot and edited into a full timeline.

Source: https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/1007851887444422657?lang=en

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 15 Jul  2018, 04:39I think the people involved in this Snyder cut movement are perfectly aware that his vision for JL isn't 100% finished. At this stage, they don't care. From what I've read of their comments on social media, they'll be happy with a cut that's 70% completed, even if it's less than that. Of course this should go without saying, but it's a show of support for the director too.

Regardless, this was what Oliva told Forbes writer Mark Hughes on Twitter:

I think they [the fans] are responding to people saying that the Snydercut (prior to Whedon's involvement) does not exist and is not a cohesive story because Zack left. It may not be 100% polished but all of the planned scenes were shot and edited into a full timeline.

Source: https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/1007851887444422657?lang=en
Mmm, his word is good enough for me. There may be hope yet.