Zeller's Department Store Commercials

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 25 Jan 2018, 23:18

Previous topic - Next topic
There's some beautifully over-the-top animation in these ads. And bonus points to the creators for using Catwoman's purple dress costume.

For anyone who's interested, here's a blog by one of the animators offering some insight into the production of these commercials: https://johncelestri.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/batman-semi-clean-rough-poses-x-sheet.html

Yeah, I remember these. It looks like an animated version of Brian Bolland's art. This is what the animated Killing Joke should have looked like.

Cool commercials.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 27 Jan  2018, 06:14
This is what the animated Killing Joke should have looked like.
Great comparison. Something like this would've been perfect. It strongly evokes the original version of TKJ.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 27 Jan  2018, 09:00
This is what the animated Killing Joke should have looked like.
Great comparison. Something like this would've been perfect. It strongly evokes the original version of TKJ.

QFT, agreed.

I like that the audio in these ads is pure West vintage. They've got the classic theme and Robin's 'holy' exclamations. But it also sounds as though they sampled the laughter of Romero and Gorshin for the Joker and Riddler.

Yeah, I remember these. It looks like an animated version of Brian Bolland's art. This is what the animated Killing Joke should have looked like.

Right. The colour scheme is straight out of The Killing Joke. It's a shame the animation in the 2016 TKJ movie used the muted palette from the deluxe edition instead of the 1988 original. The altered footage in this fan trailer does a better job of capturing the comic's distinctive visuals.