Men are still good

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 7 Nov 2017, 11:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 17 Dec  2017, 03:46
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 17 Dec  2017, 03:20Critics would probably say Superman should've said something instead of flying away, but that still wouldn't have prevented the media from skewing public perception. In real life, sometimes when one finds themselves stuck in a predicament that's out of their control, they're either damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
Strange to think how all that was laid out on the table before #FakeNews ever became a meme.

I'm inclined to think it was a coincidence. With that said, I find it hard pressed to remember which other superhero film that analyses how contemporary media can manipulate the narrative as BvS. Maybe on a subconscious level, that's another reason why journalists (and when it comes to entertainment, I use the term loosely) don't like this movie. They were expecting their fictional counterparts to embrace Superman with open arms, but instead they were reminded how their ilk can have a toxic influence on society by creating division and prejudice. Even with using the slightest of misinformation and speculation.

Fortunately, Lois Lane was the one honest journalist who played a significant part in bringing down Lex. Then again, I could be just talking right out of my ass by writing this entire comment.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Dawn of Justice was a realistic representation of the FAKE NEWS media.

Superman has nothing to do with the Congress bombing and he helps save injured members of the public.

But what does CNN get out of that? Here's a quote from the film, as stated by the 'news' anchor.

"There are so many unanswered questions, chief among them if Superman was involved in the PLANNING of this attack."

And what is their headline in big letters? 'WAS SUPERMAN INVOLVED?'

Jenny from the Daily Planet says this after reading from her 'story':

"And so we are left to wonder if Superman was aware of the threat and did nothing, was he then complicit in the Capitol tragedy?"

These outlets whipped up a frenzy against an INNOCENT MAN. Effigies are burned. It's all accusation and no evidence. Feelings override facts and apologies aren't given. And if they are, they're not worth spit. Absolutely disgusting.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Feb  2018, 03:54
Dawn of Justice was a realistic representation of the FAKE NEWS media.

I think it reflects how that entire industry is so ruthless and obsessed with sensationalism that it even taints good-natured people who work within it. Another example is Perry White. He's not a bad man by any means, but even he is guilty of speculating instead of going after facts. As soon as he finds out about Wallace Keefe defacing the Superman statue, he immediately tells everyone at the Daily Planet to start working on tomorrow's headline: "Is the love affair with the man in the sky over?". Superman might've already had a divided impact on the world, but Perry pushing for this narrative certainly makes the situation worse.

But I guess when you've been working in a declining industry such as print media, it's your job as the editor to go after stories that will grab people's attention, no matter if there's any real basis behind it. After all, it's more interesting to speculate over the most powerful man in the world and indirectly fuel suspicions and paranoia that he could betray the human race one day, than questioning if a rogue vigilante is violating civil rights in a certain city. You could tell that Perry looked guilty when he looked at the headline reporting Superman's brave sacrifice in the printing room.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

^Following up to what I last said, it amuses me that we see the media's pursuit for juicy headlines and provocative stories based on rumours and allegations surrounding Superman in BvS, and in the real world, we see online entertainment always speculating the future of DCEU actors for clicks.

This film really highlights the frenzy and manipulation the media creates. Life imitates art.