Batman Forever Fan Edits

Started by greggbray, Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 17:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey Batfans.  Been a few years since I've dropped by here, I hope you're all well.  :)

Great time to be a Bat-Fan.  There seems to be a great deal of Bat-properties in the mix as of late!  The 60s DVDs from a few years ago, the two Adam West (RIP) animated properties, the Timm-created animated Batfilms, and the live action material (though much of the recent stuff isn't for me).  As Batfans, we have an embarassment of riches. 

Among them are the BF fan edits.  I have seen two, the Red Book Edition, and another edit (whose name I'm blanking on).  These edits, in my mind, demonstrate there is a stronger Batfilm in the mix.  True, much of the material was taken from the deleted scenes Bonus material on the DVDs, as well as clips from various trailers and music videos that had been left on the cutting room floor--but I'm grateful for it.  Val Kilmer's best work (such as his thoughts on retiring in the cave) is restored, some of Two-Face's over the top antics are cut down, as well as the goofy sound effects, and there seems to be a better balance in the dark hero/campy villain mix.

A good edit elevates BF quite a bit, though little can be done with how Two-Face was written and performed.  And Carrey's Riddler is based on Gorshin.  It's a love it or leave it interpretation (though I'm fine with it).

Has anyone given the fan edits a look?

If this is a redundant topic, feel free to edit, delete, or merge. 

Tbh, I don't gravitate toward fan edits too much. There are multiple reasons for that.

The only truly worthwhile fan edit of anything I've ever seen is the Tolkien Edit of The Hobbit, details of which can be found at https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com. It's a four hour distillation of the Hobbit trilogy sticking as closely to stuff Tolkien actually wrote and avoiding as much as possible the supposedly unnecessary additions Jackson created.

Might check that out, as The Hobbit 9 hour movie-marathon is too much for me these days.  Haven't made it through any of them yet.

The fan edits of BF, to me, really just show there was a better film there in the material.  On par with Burton's films?  No, but certainly stronger than the theatrical release. 

I rather enjoy BF as it is now. The few fan edit concepts I've seen (one tried to diminish the neon by draining the color from the picture) suggests that the editor is thinking only in superficial terms. Deleting or adding scenes or destroying the video won't change the fact that BF was creatively intended to be lighter than Burton's films.

Having said all that, Batman- The Dark Knight and The Red Book Edition are supposed to be worthwhile in their way. I've never bothered watching them but I've heard positive things from others.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/jreviews/tag/originalmovietitle/batman-forever/?criteria=2

Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 05:39 #4 Last Edit: Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 05:54 by Azrael
I have watched one titled Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint and it's really good. It was shared three years ago in this very forum. http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=1582.0

Some reviews were glowing. Nothing to add except I agree with them.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon,  5 May  2014, 05:15
Just re-iterating how much I love this edit: I'd only skimmed it before to see the changes in context, but didn't watch it all the way through. I did now and it was even better with a proper viewing! I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS EDIT ENOUGH. Perfect gift for the film's 20th anniversary next year!

Quite a bit of 'silly' bits were trimmed, but the trimming was damn-near seamless! Even more impressed! Especially loved the inclusion of a few bits from the trailers/Seal music video (new shots of Batman and Two-Face during the bank scenes) and the reinsertion of "If the Bat wants to play, we'll play!" (which is a line I always loved).

I also love the improved logic this edit brings to the Batmobile chase in the middle of the film. It's obvious that in the script it made sense, but it fell apart when it was moved around. But putting it back after the GCPD rooftop scene, it makes sense why Two-Face knew where Batman was, since they'd seen the signal too and would be ready to spring a trap, and they'd know he'd still be by the GCPD. Makes the scene less insipid.

What I wouldn't give to get this in HD from Warners themselves, in a special 20th anniversary pack of the first three films. For my money, the one true "Batman Trilogy."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 10 May  2014, 15:30
I have seen your edit.

I agree with all Doc says. This is a phenomenal job and breathes new life into BF. The original sequencing of the film, which you present, is miles better. It has better pacing and feels more logical. The opening Arkham sequence connects well with the one at the end with Nygma. To think how BF could have been, all because that opening Akham scene was deemed too dark, yet later we see Two-Face shoot his helicopter pilot dead without a care.

The deleted scenes make a big difference as far as I am concerned, and honestly don't dislike any of them. Bruce regaining his memory in the batcave is wonderfully cinematic. Cutting that, and frankly the others, which do provide greater context to the plot, was such a silly idea. They had the material right there and chose not to include it. They weren't superfluous scenes.  Riddler's jamming device on the batmobile - the barber shop scene, provides answers to the audience and gives more power to the villain's scheme. In the scene, Batman is powerless and confused.

I am all for a 'Donner Cut' style BF release. I doubt it would happen, but I'd be all over it. This excellent re-edit makes me sad about the final cut WB released, because it's not the true representation of all BF could be. The Virtual Workprint edition of BF is a solid Batman movie - and feels a lot more like the capper to Burton's.

Again, great job.

I would agree with the assessments above, and that's the edit I prefer.  It doesn't change the film, or attempt to turn the film into something it isn't (which, though I enjoyed it, is something the Red Book edition does).  It just restores the material that gives the film a little (lower case "d") depth--especially for Batman/Kilmer.    I wouldn't want a whole-cloth reimagining, just an inclusion of what could realistically be there.