Death of Superman (2018)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 12:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 17 Mar 2018, 17:41 #10 Last Edit: Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 17:15 by thecolorsblend
Oh, one other thing. Small potatoes maybe but The Death Of Superman is a story published in Superman #149 in the 1960's. In that story, Lex Luthor pretends to have changed his ways just so he can get the drop on Superman and poison him to death with Kryptonite.

The story from 1992 where Superman is beaten to death is called Doomsday. I don't give a flaming fart what the g***amn trade paperback is called. The comics I paid money for are called Doomsday and that's what I go by.

NB4 "That title has already been used for an animated movie", DCE is going back to the well in fact so I don't understand why they're afraid of going back to the well in name. Whatever, it's not my problem.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 17 Mar  2018, 17:41
Oh, one other thing. Small potatoes maybe but The Death Of Superman is a story published in Superman #149 in the 1960's. In that story, Lex Luthor pretends to have changed his ways just so he can get the drop on Superman and poison him to death with Kryptonite.

I remember reading that story a few years back. The Silver Age Superman and Superboy comics are terrific. In general, I think they hold up a lot better than the Silver Age Batman comics do.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 17 Mar  2018, 17:41
The story from 1992 where Superman is beaten to death is called Doomsday.

And of course the same thing happened with The Dark Knight Returns. It was originally titled Batman: The Dark Knight. 'The Dark Knight Returns' was only the title of the first chapter. However the TDKR moniker has now become synonymous with the entire series thanks to the retitled trade paperback edition. It's odd how that happens sometimes.

I'm not a fan of the animation style. The overall production looks cheap and underwhelming. We didn't need another version of this story. I'd rather see something else, such as the electric blue Superman arc which fascinated me as a kid.

Hmmmmmmmm .........

Would have preferred the animation to emulate Dan Jurgens art style (similar to how Superman/Batman: Public Enemies emulated Ed Mcguinness' art style) if anything, than what we're getting here. Which, for some inexplicable reason, appears to be a continuation of the animation seen in the New52 adaptations.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 30 Mar  2018, 10:54
I'm not a fan of the animation style. The overall production looks cheap and underwhelming. We didn't need another version of this story. I'd rather see something else, such as the electric blue Superman arc which fascinated me as a kid.
I think the animation for most of the DC movies have been pretty bad. Which is odd, cause they used to be great not too long ago. Now everything looks all generic and cheap.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  4 Apr  2018, 23:27
I think the animation for most of the DC movies have been pretty bad. Which is odd, cause they used to be great not too long ago. Now everything looks all generic and cheap.
My understanding is that cell animation has experienced a serious talent-drain in the last fifteen'ish years. Artists who would've gone to work for those cell animation studios simply went in other directions or pursued other styles.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  4 Apr  2018, 23:27
It's a real shame because animated movies used to be a strength. Now they're forgettable. If the animation isn't bland and cheap, the story has been needlessly altered into a mess. The content of The Killing Joke and Gotham by Gaslight was strong all on its own. I'm just thankful they managed to adapt TDK Returns so well before their artistic quality went down the toilet.

I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes with these films. The last really good animated DC movie was released half a decade ago. Since then we've been inundated with a steady stream of mediocrity. The decline in quality is obvious. What's less obvious is the cause.

Have the budgets been cut? Have the production schedules been accelerated? Have the filmmakers themselves become careless and complacent?

I have to agree with the consensus over the stagnation of DC Universe Animated Original Movies in the last five years. One of my peeves is they've created this continuity based on the New 52, which I haven't been too excited about. All of the Batman-centric films focused on his relationship with Damian Wayne, who is somebody I don't like very much. Other than that, the JL films such as War and Throne of Atlantis were passable but nothing extraordinary, and Justice League vs Teen Titans was rather crap. I was worried about this happening ever since The Flashpoint Paradox, which is a storyline I don't have a high regard for.

I'm disappointed that the first Superman-centric movie we get since 2013's Superman: Unbound is going to be another take on 'The Death Of...' story arc. My only guess is they're going to do an adaptation of Funeral for a Friend and The Return of Superman.

The last DC animated film I truly liked was Batman: Assault on Arkham, which was a better Suicide Squad movie than the live action adaptation itself, in my opinion.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei