Tales from the Crypt (1972) and the Comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Coincidentally to SN's post, I finally pulled the trigger on picking up the Scream Factory double feature blu of TFTC/Vault of Horror this past Dec (along with Black Christmas 1974 on 4K, and It's A Wonderful Life 4K), and honestly, I never really thought about the 1972 TFTC movie being a 'Christmas movie', but apparently I must subconsciously think so or something since one of the major reasons why I had the itch to buy the blu ray was due to the "... And All Through the House" segment of the film. Easily my favorite.

Plus, 1971/1972 Joan Collins? Va-va-voom!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Those are some great festive classics you've bought there, Joker. It's a Wonderful Life is one of my all-time favourite movies. I hope the Scream Factory release of Vault of Horror is the uncut version. It probably is.

I've heard that Robert Zemeckis is a big fan of the 1972 Tales from the Crypt, though apparently he watches it on Halloween rather than around Christmas. Here's his 1989 remake of '...And All Through the House' from the HBO series.

When I started this thread in 2013 the Rotten Tomatoes score for TftC was at 86%. It's now gone up to 90%. It's good to know more people are starting to appreciate this movie. I rank it as the second best CMB of the 1970s after Donner's Superman.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  4 Jan  2023, 15:25
Those are some great festive classics you've bought there, Joker. It's a Wonderful Life is one of my all-time favourite movies. I hope the Scream Factory release of Vault of Horror is the uncut version. It probably is.

It is.

Honestly, the Scream Factory edition gives "Vault of Horror" the 5 star treatment compared to 1972's "Tales from the Crypt". As the Scream Factory edition is a 2-disc set that includes a double feature blu of TFTC/Vault (uncut), and the other disc featuring both a theatrical cut of Vault, and a open matte version of Vault as well. Vault also has a theatrical trailer included for extras, along with a alternate opening that features (apparently) the original title card of, "Tales from the Crypt 2".

Would have loved at least a commentary track for TFTC since that film has no extras to speak of on this set, whether it be from a Amicus productions historian (similar to how Universal adds commentary tracks for their Universal Monsters blus), or especially if Joan could have provided a commentary for at least her segment. That would have been fun, but it is what it is.

QuoteI've heard that Robert Zemeckis is a big fan of the 1972 Tales from the Crypt, though apparently he watches it on Halloween rather than around Christmas. Here's his 1989 remake of '...And All Through the House' from the HBO series.

Ah, didn't know that. That's interesting. Zemeckis' version of "...And All Through the House" is pretty solid for what it is. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the HBO rendition. Liked it well enough when it was originally airing, but I can't say I've ever really felt the need to re-watch any of the episodes all that much. I will say that I thought Larry Drake looked more like the deranged Santa from the original EC Comics than Oliver MacGreevy, but I still generally prefer Oliver nevertheless.

QuoteWhen I started this thread in 2013 the Rotten Tomatoes score for TftC was at 86%. It's now gone up to 90%. It's good to know more people are starting to appreciate this movie. I rank it as the second best CMB of the 1970s after Donner's Superman.

Yeah, during the 1970's, the Bixby/Ferrigno "The Incredible Hulk", and "The (new) Adventures of Wonder Woman" with Lynda Carter were the winners on television, but with movie theaters, "Superman: The Movie", and 1972's "Tales from the Crypt" were the standouts for the decade.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

That's a terrific picture! Zombie Grimsdyke has sparked some debate over the years. Arthur Grimsdyke was such a kind and gentle old man that it's near impossible to imagine him seeking revenge and brutally ripping someone's heart out. Yet that appears to be what happens.

One interpretation of that scene is that the zombie isn't Grimsdyke. Yes, it's his reanimated corpse, but not necessarily his will controlling it. His body might've been operated by some sort of demon or spirit of vengeance seeking to punish Elliot for what he did to Grimsdyke.

An alternative interpretation is that it is Grimsdyke and that his personality simply changed after his death. Maybe he spent a year suffering in Hell after committing suicide and then, having learnt of Elliot's deception, sought revenge. Perhaps he was brutalised by damnation and wished to drag his tormentor down to Hell to share in his suffering. Elliot certainly goes to Hell at the end of the movie, along with the other four characters.

The original story from Haunt of Fear #12 implies that it is Grimsdyke himself (named Abner in the comic) who seeks revenge. The Old Witch says, 'We won't let him get away with this... or rather Abner won't! But it took him almost a year!'

That doesn't necessarily mean it was Grimsdyke's will controlling the zombie in the film. I suppose it's up to each viewer to interpret the scene for his or herself.

Interesting analysis on Grimsdyke, Silver!

I always had interpreted it as Grimsdyke being embedded with supernatural powers for a very limited time, post-resurrection, and it being conveyed/suggested/telepathically communicated with him, "Now, what are you going to do with this? Make the most of it."

Sorta like a different take on Eric Draven's return as the Crow, or Spawn to some degree. I agree that a lethally aggressive Grimsdyke doesn't really fit his personality whatsoever, but this was also the case with Burgess Meredith's Luther Dingle, in the Twilight Zone episode, "Mr. Dingle, The Strong" where a unassuming and timid man suddenly becomes a absolute extroverted showboat thanks to the powers he was briefly given. Grimsdyke's motivation for revenge beyond the grave can also be legitimate especially since he was, evidently, also granted the knowledge after death, of just how much of a target he was by the unrelenting and callous James Elliot.

I don't really like the idea that Grimsdyke being sent to hell and granted a brief reprieve for revenge, due to his suicide (especially considering the circumstances), so I just prefer to think of Grimsdyke's tale being akin to Eric Draven and the Crow, but that's just me.

And All Through The House ....

"What are your plans when you leave here?"