If Batman Forever came out today...

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 12:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Another thought occurred to me if this movie came out today. Would the progressive media dared to have supported this film because of the director's sexual orientation? I can't help but think it might've, when you take into account some movies in the last few movies got praised for satisfying an agenda based on identity politics.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 11 Jul  2018, 14:51
Another thought occurred to me if this movie came out today. Would the progressive media dared to have supported this film because of the director's sexual orientation? I can't help but think it might've, when you take into account some movies in the last few movies got praised for satisfying an agenda based on identity politics.
The butt-shots in the movie were a source of discomfort for some and ridicule for others back in 1995. I think the only difference today is that most people wouldn't voice their thoughts publicly.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 12 Jul  2018, 20:45
The butt-shots in the movie were a source of discomfort for some and ridicule for others back in 1995. I think the only difference today is that most people wouldn't voice their thoughts publicly.

I find that hard to believe, given we live in a meme-obsessed culture nowadays.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I suspect that Schumacher would be attacked these days by #MeToo for sexually objectifying men.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Seeing as trends often go in cycles, audiences would probably embrace another less mature Batman film.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 12 Jul  2018, 20:45
I know what you mean. Anything remotely playful would probably be howled down as hateful and homophobic. If you don't want that avalanche people learn to say nothing. Especially critics who work in the industry.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 11 Jul  2018, 14:51
Another thought occurred to me if this movie came out today. Would the progressive media dared to have supported this film because of the director's sexual orientation?

I think it's interesting that bad guy Edward Nygma and his obsession with Wayne come off as at least vaguely homoerotic but the film was made by a gay director, I don't usually take into account personal characteristics of a filmmaker but that does make that possible subtext giving feel more playful or just neutral rather than mean-spirited. Nygma/the Riddler generally is a villain and yet doesn't come off as that evil, he's supposed to be entertaining and even in some ways likeable (especially considering that Jim Carrey had soon before and somewhat similarly played superhero the Mask).

Commentators today, if they thought there was a homoerotic subtext to Nygma, would probably be a little puzzled but also perceive it as just playful rather than trying to send an anti-gay or pro-gay message.

I never thought there was a homoerotic subtext behind the Ridder's motives. I just chalked as a nerdy, wannabe entrepreneur who wanted to be understood and admired Bruce Wayne as a great businessman, if all else. I just chalked him up as a fan of a celebrity, albeit an upstanding one.

With that said, I could see the character be misinterpreted on purpose by people with an agenda against Schumacher.