RIP Adam West

Started by Travesty, Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 15:36

Previous topic - Next topic
With the passing of Roger Moore and now Adam West, it's been a bad year for lovers of escapist entertainment. It's so weird to hear this news because with Roger dying recently it made me think of Adam. And here we are. I was playing the Batman66 level of Lego Batman 3 only two days ago as well.

Adam was not just a fantastic Batman, he seemed to be a truly fantastic human being. He embraced Batman as he got older and didn't shun it. I really respect that. The silver lining to this news is the fact he lived long enough to see the TV show get officially released. He saw the second coming of the 66 brand with comics, new animated movies, books and various other merchandise.

RIP to one of the greats.

There are no words. This ripped my heart out.

Sun, 11 Jun 2017, 07:50 #12 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Jun 2017, 10:39 by The Dark Knight

A lot's been said over the years about West's Batman being the best dancer, but now I'd like to make a case for him being the best singer too. The only other Batman I remember singing was Conroy's in the Justice League Unlimited episode 'This Little Piggy'. And while Conroy was good, I don't think he had quite the same musical panache as West.

Modern crime fighters might neglect this aspect of their training, but when your gallery of rogues includes the likes of Minstrel, Siren and Chandell, a strong understanding of music and sound is essential. How else would one escape from a situation like this?

Sun, 11 Jun 2017, 20:35 #14 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Jun 2017, 20:37 by Azrael
I remember one night, maybe 9-10 years ago, I was sleepless and, to put it mildly, one of the worst nights I ever had.

The TV was on, while switching channels I happened upon "Return to the Batcave"... Saying Adam West and Burt Ward felt like a visit from old friends would be an understatement.

It doesn't matter that this version of Batman has never been a favourite of mine, that's beside the point. That night Adam West "saved" me and no doubt he has saved many others, without ever meeting them, in different ways.

No other Batman actor has devoted such a large chunk of their life to the Batman brand.

He filmed 120 episodes along with a feature film. The cameras stopped rolling in 1968 and for 49 years Adam could not escape the show. It was simply way too iconic to forget. Much like Batman (1989), it was the right thing at the right time. Adam realized he was forever going to be associated with Batman and he made peace with it. Your likeness preserved for eternity as one of the most iconic characters of all time isn't a bad footnote. I'd take that.

In terms of Batman's sense of adventure and fun, nobody did it better than Adam West and nobody else will.

I'm glad he held out as long as he did. We're finally at a point where it seems most of the Bat-universe is finally giving that series the respect it deserves. Even those who hate the camp realize that the character would not be nearly as popular without the West series.

I did get to meet Adam shortly in 2014 for a photo op with Burt Ward. Glad I did.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 16 Jun  2017, 04:24
I'm glad he held out as long as he did. We're finally at a point where it seems most of the Bat-universe is finally giving that series the respect it deserves. Even those who hate the camp realize that the character would not be nearly as popular without the West series.

I did get to meet Adam shortly in 2014 for a photo op with Burt Ward. Glad I did.
That's awesome.  They look friendly.  How was your brief encounter with the Caped Crusaders?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Very good news about the Two-Face animated movie. It's confirmed that West completed his dialogue.