Black Panther (2018)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 01:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Black Panther won 'Best Visual Effects' at the Critics' Choice Awards. According to the Broadcast Film Critics Association, these were the best visual effects of 2018:

That's the most amazingly idiotic thing I've heard all day.

And just to put that in perspective, I work in an industry which is starting to feel the effects of the US government's shutdown.

People who say that comics are killing cinema... yeah, I'm starting to agree with them. And now it looks like we can add "convincing visual effects" to the list of things they're killing.

Odds are if Superman Returns came out in today's world, either it would win some kind of Oscar or else Bryan Singer would get #MeToo'd, pick one.

Black Panther didn't win awards for being a technical marvel. Other factors were at play.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 14 Jan  2019, 23:35
Other factors were at play.
Careful. That's a slippery slope to saying the movie earned so much acclaim for something besides its merit.

We're not supposed to say that because feelings.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 23 Dec  2018, 02:05
At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie gets overblown Oscar nominations, because the Oscars is nothing more than politised, agenda-driven rubbish as well.

And that's exactly what has happened. It just got announced the movie has been nominated for seven Oscar categories...including Best Picture. The overblown praise for this movie is complete.

Source: https://deadline.com/2019/01/oscar-nominations-2019-academy-award-nominees-list-1202538943/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I posted the following news in the private random chit chat sub forum, but I'll also share it here as its relevant to this topic: Chadwick Boseman has tragically passed away.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chadwick-boseman-dead-dies-black-panther-1234753232/

Apparently, Marvel Studios announced plans to produce Black Panther 2 at last year's D23. It seemed they didn't know anything about Boseman's fight with cancer.  :(

This is now a very delicate situation. Whatever decision they will make with the character will undergo intense scrutiny. It could potentially be a lose-lose scenario as far as the fan base is concerned.

But putting that aside, it's such a sad way for Boseman to go, at such a young age. Despite my criticism of the media's overhypying, I still regard Black Panther as an entertaining film and by far one of the few Phase Three films worth watching. Boseman had such grace when playing T'Challa.

RIP

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 29 Aug  2020, 06:59But putting that aside, it's such a sad way for Boseman to go, at such a young age. Despite my criticism of the media's overhypying, I still regard Black Panther as an entertaining film and by far one of the few Phase Three films worth watching. Boseman had such grace when playing T'Challa.

RIP
I 100% concur with these words.

I woke up this morning to read about Chadwick Boseman's death at the young age of 43, and I'm utterly devastated by this news.  Although I don't think Black Panther reinvented the wheel as far as superhero films go, and so maybe a lot of its huge praise is attributable more to its cultural significance than its success as a piece of cinema, it is still, as The Laughing Fish says, a very worthwhile movie, and arguably one of the best within the entire MCU canon.

Irrespective of that, Boseman's performance as T'Challa across the four films in which he appeared, particularly his MCU debut in Captain America: Civil War, is one of the most humane and empathetic within the franchise, and I don't think it's hyperbole to say that Boseman is the closest any actor has to projecting the nobility, wisdom and compassion of a live-action superhero, since Christopher Reeve.

From all the interviews and red carpet footage I've seen of Boseman, he also came across as a likeable, humble and unassuming kind of guy.  It's a real blow to lose such a charismatic figure just as his career was kicking up such steam (he was brilliant in this year's Da Five Bloods, as another noble and heroic character).

Rest in Peace
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I had no idea he was battling cancer. RIP

Way too young. :(

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 29 Aug  2020, 14:20
I had no idea he was battling cancer. RIP

Way too young. :(
Most people didn't. This wasn't public info. He apparently kept it quiet and only a handful of family members and close friends knew.

This is very sad and unexpected news. If he'd passed away at the age of 63, I'd have said it was far too soon. But 43 is ridiculous. It's amazing to think he was visiting sick children in hospital while secretly battling cancer himself.

This news is going to break the hearts of a lot of children in the same way George Reeves' death did in the 1950s. :(