Krypton (SyFy TV Series)

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:47

Previous topic - Next topic
This was in development for two years, but now the pilot is finished and the trailer for it is released.

Interesting to note, this IS part of the DCEU, and takes place two hundred years before MOS.

Not sold on the low production quality, but I'm curious about giving it a go.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

If it actually coms out, I'm down. I think it actually looks great for TV. And I also like how its tied into the DCEU.

Sign me up if it actually comes out.

Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 23:06 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 23:11 by The Joker
I thought it was another tv series outside of the DCEU. Just like all the CW shows, and Gotham (and Powerless if you want to really add it). But being that Syfy's Krypton is *really* apart of the DCEU .... then I can't help but be interested. If even just initially .... we'll see.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'll give it a day in court.

Honestly, I'm not that excited this is within the DCEU. I don't really need to know any more about Krypton other than what we're told in Man of Steel. Krypton was an advanced planet that shunned natural birth. It became complacent and it blew up. I feel that the television format simply won't make it *feel* like the Snyder Krypton universe either. But that's just me. It also continues a trend of Superman media where Superman himself is either absent or has a limited role. I wish the show all the best, but those are my initial thoughts.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 10:53Honestly, I'm not that excited this is within the DCEU. I don't really need to know any more about Krypton other than what we're told in Man of Steel. Krypton was an advanced planet that shunned natural birth. It became complacent and it blew up. I feel that the television format simply won't make it *feel* like the Snyder Krypton universe either. But that's just me. It also continues a trend of Superman media where Superman himself is either absent or has a limited role. I wish the show all the best, but those are my initial thoughts.
People have said over the last 15'ish years that Superman is in very real danger of becoming Mickey Mouse: A corporate mascot at the top of company letterhead but not a viable character anymore.

I think there's something to that.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 17:24
People have said over the last 15'ish years that Superman is in very real danger of becoming Mickey Mouse: A corporate mascot at the top of company letterhead but not a viable character anymore.

I think there's something to that.

At this point it feels like they're taking the mick. We've had a Superman show set before he becomes Superman, a show focusing on his cousin in which he makes occasional guest appearances, and now a show set before he's even born.

Batman hasn't fared much better when it comes to live action television. First we had Birds of Prey occurring after he's vanished from Gotham, then Gotham taking place before he's donned the cowl. I suppose the next step will be a medical drama centred on Thomas Wayne, climaxing with Martha giving birth to Bruce in the series finale.

Why not simply make live action TV shows based on Batman and Superman, actually starring Batman and Superman. In costume. Why's that so difficult? There were excellent Superman TV shows in the fifties and nineties. Why not now?

For Batman, he's a proven multi-billion dollar franchise and he has to be managed more carefully than Superman (who, I'm convinced, WB execs and even some DC execs don't like). WB knows that it's possible to damage Batman in the public mind. They lived through that in the late 90's and early 2000's as we all know. They love the character, I'm convinced, but the specter of Batman & Robin looms large and WB seems to want to err on the side of protecting the character.

So if Gotham (the TV show) comes out and it's a train wreck... well, that's not good for the Batman franchise, obviously. But at the same time Gotham probably won't put much of a stink on it either. On that same note, I don't think it's an accident that Batman is auspiciously absent from the Arrowverse while zillions of other characters have been referred to or even outright shown. He was also intentionally kept out of Smallville.

I think WB is protecting him because that's probably the closest thing they have to a golden goose. They've spent the last almost 30 years hyping and promoting Batman, the public finally moved beyond Adam West about ten years ago and the character can be very dynamic right now. So he has to be handled carefully.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 19:10
At this point it feels like they're taking the mick. We've had a Superman show set before he becomes Superman, a show focusing on his cousin in which he makes occasional guest appearances, and now a show set before he's even born.
Exactly. I'm cool with how Snyder is handling Superman and Cavill's the best since Reeve. But I can see where the die-hard, rusted on Superman supporters are coming from even if certain comments border on the hysterical. It's no secret Batman will be front and centre forming the group with Superman coming back near the end. As a big Batman fan am I going to complain about that? Not a chance. But there does seem to be a trend of Superman being more of an idea/plot device. He's not really the main man as he was in the past. Again, I'm cool with Snyder's direction and I think it will pay off - especially post Justice League. I think another solo film with Cavill and Adams will be the tonic that soothes their concerns.

In the interest of accuracy, I am not aware of Superman being the frontman in assembling the Justice League of America. And he spent the first few years of the Post-Crisis era as an auxiliary member. He wasn't a regular fixture of the JLA until 1992... but then a few months later he died. I don't think he officially rejoined until 1997.

So let's be realistic, there is plenty of historical precedent for Superman to at least not be in on the ground floor for the founding of the JLA.