Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 3 Mar 2017, 23:43

Previous topic - Next topic
This is gorgeous. So much better than those generic character-standing-with-back-to-camera posters we've been lumbered with for the past decade.

Indeed.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe films are among the few that are still keeping the poster art alive, although I still long for the days of the iconic work of John Alvin and Drew Struzan.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

You're not wrong about Alvin and Struzan. I'll never understand why Hollywood turned its back on the art of film posters.  :(

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  5 Mar  2017, 17:58
You're not wrong about Alvin and Struzan. I'll never understand why Hollywood turned its back on the art of film posters.  :(
Two expensive/not cost-effective, I suspect, especially after the rise of the internet and multiple accessible trailers and teasers.  Still, there are plenty of hobbyist artists and graphic designers making their own custom posters, it's just a shame that the film studios don't seem too interested in reviving this lost art-form.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  5 Mar  2017, 17:58
I'll never understand why Hollywood turned its back on the art of film posters.  :(
I didn't have a problem with these:

Those aren't bad by today's standards. But when gobbs and myself refer to the art of the film poster – with specific reference to people like Alvin and Struzan – we're really talking about this sort of thing:

You don't generally see beautiful artwork like that in modern film marketing. Not unless it's a deliberate throwback, as in the case of the Kung Fury and Stranger Things posters.

Those above posters are gorgeous (The Last Crusade and the Back to the Future trio are a particular favourites of mine), but I'll give the Suicide Squad marketing department some props for at least making a much bigger effort on their posters than most others seem to these days.  I do quite like the stark simplicity and instant recognisability of the skull iconography for each member of the team plus The Joker.

The identity of Stallone's character has been revealed. Apparently he's playing Stakar Ogord, aka Starhawk.

If his costume looks like this in the movie, then I can see why the early reports compared his appearance to that of Judge Dredd.

More importantly, Miley Cyrus is apparently providing the voice of Mainframe. ::)