Logan (2017)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 17 Feb 2017, 23:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Never bothered watching this movie. Until about a week ago, that is. I rewatched The Wolverine and thought this could be a decent palette cleanser. And it was... in ways.

This is a dreary, bleak, depressing film. Yeah, it wraps up Logan and Xavier's stories. But it does so in the most wrist-slitting fashion possible that I honestly can't imagine ever watching this film again.

And yet, I do consider it to be a worthy send off in some ways. Xavier goes out with a whimper (in more ways than one) while Logan died as he lived: in a berserker fury, covered in blood. There's some dignity to Logan's demise. He's trying to do the right thing and help others... but he's also trying to get old while retaining his dignity. If that's not a hell of a goal.

In the end, I'd say this film's worth watching. But I don't think it's worth rewatching.

Watched this a while ago and I think it's one of the few "franchise" movies of our era that's memorable, and a genuinely good movie. A movie, not a glorified marketing maschine, a big budget meme-generator.

Bleak. But genuine, not in a fake, pose-y way. It was the comic book movie equivalent of saying farewell. It's maybe Wolverine's TDKR. Loved it. Batman deserves such a movie too. I don't think he'll ever get one in our lifetime.

It's one of the few comic book movies of our era that will stand the test of time, I think, and maybe the real finale of the Fox X-Men franchise, started in 2000.

As for rewatchability, it's maybe like Johnny Cash's Hurt, a song one can't really listen often, but can admire and respect.

Sat, 1 Jul 2023, 16:33 #12 Last Edit: Sat, 1 Jul 2023, 19:51 by Silver Nemesis
Has anyone seen Jean-François Richet's Blood Father (2016)? I watched it last night, and I was struck by certain similarities with Logan.

To begin with, Jackman's appearance in Logan is very similar to Mel Gibson's in Blood Father.

Both heroes are aging drunks who are trying to put their violent pasts behind them. Both have to protect their daughters from the ruthless villains pursuing them.

Both men wear vests during the gory finale, and both (SPOILERS) ultimately give their lives to protect their daughters.

Both films were shot in New Mexico and showcase sandy rural vistas. There are also similarities in cinematography, with both movies utilising a yellow-gold colour palette congruent with the arid setting.

I know Mangold cited Shane (1953) as an influence on Logan, but I can't help wondering if Richet's film might also have influenced it. If only on a visual level. Filming on Logan began on the 23rd May 2016, which was precisely two days after Blood Father premiered at the Cannes Film Festival.

Anyone who enjoyed Logan should give Blood Father a watch. It's a solid action thriller.

Interestingly, Gibson was approached about playing Wolverine in 1997 when the first X-Men movie was in the early stages of pre-production. The studio even produced the following piece of concept art depicting him in the role.