Happy! by Grant Morrison

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 06:25

Previous topic - Next topic
If you're subscribed to Netflix, you may have seen or noticed a show called Happy!, that has Christopher Meloni talking to an imaginary flying unicorn.

Well, I've watched the show, and as soon as I saw Grant Morrison's name as Executive Producer, I knew it was based on a comic. So I got my hands on the comic and read it today.

What do I think? Having watched the show already, I'd say this is some ways even more twisted than the show, while the show itself goes into edgy territory that the comic wouldn't dared to. I guess you might they cancel each other out, but I prefer the comic.

The gist of the story is mostly the same as the first season of the show: ex-cop and present day hitman Nick Sax gets alerted by a some kid's imaginary friend that he needs to save her from a creepy kidnapper dressed in a Santa Claus costume; the girl turns out to be Sax's biological daughter. The comic, like the show itself, is graphic, dark, raunchy, and bloody. But despite all that, I say the comic does a much better job in depicting Sax's more sympathetic backstory compared to the TV show: a bright and enthusiastic cop with a strong reputation moves into a new town, and over time, becomes disillusioned as he struggles coming to terms with the horror and corruption of a major city. The pressure and stress within the job and environment would have a great effect on his marriage and mental health, becoming a dangerous cynical mess of a man.

In spite of all the graphic violence and uncomfortable subject matter, there is a redemptive arc for Sax that makes the plot worthwhile. In contrast, the show and particularly in its second season, continuously portrays him as a reckless deadbeat. So yeah, I'd say comic > the show. The show getting cancelled after two seasons as a few loose ends are left untied doesn't help matters either.

If you have a taste of reading about the worst that human nature has to offer in comics, but a guy who can still come to save the day despite being a casualty of his own surroundings, then this is for you.

If you're curious about the show, watch only for Chris Meloni of Law and Order: SVU make a complete ass out of himself for comedic value. Though special mention has to go to Patrick Fischler who plays the sadistic mob enforcer Mr. Smoothie. Very creepy. I look at him and think he could've been a great Riddler. Oh well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Back before DC's Vertigo imprint got run into the ground, it sounds like Happy! would've been published under that line.

Honestly, this comic doesn't really sound much like my blend. Mostly, I've been getting into horror and/or vampire comics lately.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 18 Apr  2020, 16:28
Honestly, this comic doesn't really sound much like my blend. Mostly, I've been getting into horror and/or vampire comics lately.

Put it this way, if you hated how children were horribly victimised in Batman: Earth One Vol. 1...well, the Happy! comic doesn't quite go that far, but the alternative danger is just as bad. I would say reader discretion is advised.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei