BvS Video Essay - Allegory & Allusion

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 9 Nov 2016, 04:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 9 Nov 2016, 04:35 Last Edit: Wed, 2 May 2018, 13:19 by The Laughing Fish
A fan has compiled a video essay of pop culture references and inspirations seen in BvS.

Some of these comparisons were already found in this site's list of comic references as well.
http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/4/9/comic-influences-on-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-2016/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I found another video with more examples.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the scene where Lois cradles Superman's lifeless body was identical to Lamentation of Christ.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

These are two great videos. BvS ticks a lot of boxes. 1. It's an entertaining experience. And 2. It still has depth and complexity without, in my opinion, the overboard preaching. It's also my opinion that the ultimate edition is one of the best comic book films ever made. I'm sure to some, that makes me a lover of poor films, but it's a tag I'm happy to cop. The critics were biased beyond belief and simply got it wrong.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 15 Nov  2016, 11:39
These are two great videos. BvS ticks a lot of boxes.

My favourite allusion would have to be at 1:35 in the second video, where Superman rescues Lex from Doomsday's punch as a callback to "no man from the sky ever saved me from daddy's fists and abominations". That was the most satisfying Superman moment I've seen on film in a long time, until we get to see his heroics in the ending.

But whatever, Superman isn't a hero in the DCEU, right?

He is a man who is relentlessly hounded by the media and told to go away. But he perseveres and actually wins. He very nearly dies, but survives and returns better than ever. Sound very familiar to something else that also happened this year...

This wasn't part of the video, but somebody made this connection to emphasise how important Lois Lane is in the DCEU.

Wow, these videos have made me appreciate BvS even further. I usually hate saying this, because it usually sounds smug and contrarian, but I'll make an exception. This film is sorely underrated.

Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 01:37 #7 Last Edit: Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 01:41 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Mon,  2 Oct  2017, 15:05
Wow, these videos have made me appreciate BvS even further. I usually hate saying this, because it usually sounds smug and contrarian, but I'll make an exception. This film is sorely underrated.
Fans of BvS - especially the ultimate edition, are in on one of the comic book world's greatest secrets. The detail and depth Snyder puts into his films is really remarkable. People who dismiss the film for whatever reason are ignoring the masterpiece that is is.

People had something else in mind for the first film between the two characters, and in my opinion, they weren't willing to give it a fair chance because of it. Superman was killed off too early! They should've been friends and had a World's Finest team-up! The tone was too dark! Batman shouldn't kill! Superman was too serious! Lex can't be like this!

Etc, Etc. It's a bit like Alien 3. If you don't have a problem with Newt or Hicks being killed off, or the idea a facehugger snuck on board Ripley's ship, it's a solid entry into the franchise. When I see BvS getting called a poor film, I can't help but shake my head. I'm eager to see JL, but BvS is a high mountain to climb.

Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 11:11 #8 Last Edit: Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 14:16 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  3 Oct  2017, 01:37
Fans of BvS - especially the ultimate edition, are in on one of the comic book world's greatest secrets. The detail and depth Snyder puts into his films is really remarkable. People who dismiss the film for whatever reason are ignoring the masterpiece that is is.

People had something else in mind for the first film between the two characters, and in my opinion, they weren't willing to give it a fair chance because of it. Superman was killed off too early! They should've been friends and had a World's Finest team-up! The tone was too dark! Batman shouldn't kill! Superman was too serious! Lex can't be like this!

I don't necessarily mind that there are people who were genuinely disappointed with the film not lining up to their expectations. After all, I appreciate the film, but even I don't think it's perfect. I think it tackles the deconstructive themes of the characters well, but at the same time, it can make the film to drag a bit.

But my problem with the biggest detractors of this movie, and MOS, is I've noticed the majority who championed the darkness and deconstruction of certain films in the past - regardless if those particular films even stand up to honest scrutiny or not - suddenly see these words as dirty and want 'fun'. How convenient. I don't mean to tar everybody in the same brush, but when I hear buzzwords i.e. 'fun', I often wonder to myself if people are pandering to groupthink. The fact that Batman killing is still an issue when every film except for only ONE do the same thing in the past twenty eight years is a massive red alert that people are getting influenced.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  3 Oct  2017, 01:37
It's a bit like Alien 3. If you don't have a problem with Newt or Hicks being killed off, or the idea a facehugger snuck on board Ripley's ship, it's a solid entry into the franchise.

Which is funny, because the Alien 3 audiences had in mind really isn't all that appealing to me. I can't help but picture Lost in Space with xenomorphs. I'm quite fond of the third film, particularly the assembly cut. 

The way films are criticized by some is very odd to me. For example, when I hear people speak of Tim Burton's Batman,"Oh, it's so dated." Batman & Robin, "It's so campy! Batman should be dark!" Batman V. Superman, "Why is it so dark?!" It's like people get so caught up in defining what a movie is and making criticisms based off that instead watching a movie honestly and basing their criticisms on what the movie actually does, which is a billion times more important.

There's also social influence, in which people can actually have their opinions swayed or warped by being around others who subscribe to a certain idea or opinion. People can be very susceptible to this, particularly when there is an assault of hype, buzz, articles, blogs, videos, and aggressive opinion basically telling you how to feel about a movie.

This is unfortunate because some movies do require a second viewing in order to process. We are so used to films being optimistic and when a film, especially a tentpole superhero film, makes you feel less happy about the world, it can blindside us, leave us on the fence. Then we need to watch it again and see why it does that. 

This is why our culture needs to stop relying on hype to tell us how to feel, but instead allow movies to make us feel the way they intend to make us feel.