The Penguin's election campaign

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 08:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I remember listening to a podcast reviewing the film, where one commentator thought that Burton was attempting satire when Penguin would campaign to become Mayor of Gotham City. He assumed it was because of how easily duped the public can be by a feel-good story about a outcast from the sewers who had a "big heart" as reported on live TV and newspapers, and how Schreck could use his influence to manipulate the public and Cobblepot for his own self-interest.

I never thought about it in that context. I understood Schreck used Penguin to try to get his power plant plans together after Bruce turned it down, but I didn't look at the entire sub-plot at how businesspeople could use mass media to control people's perception of a particular subject.

Thoughts?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

My first thought is I would vote for Oswald over the idiots running in this year's US presidential election, because he has as much business in the White House as either of them.

My second thought is that I'm sure there are quite a few Max Shrecks in the business wold. Probably more than we'd like to think, and I'm sure a lot of the same tactics are used (anyone bought a window lately, coincidentally of course at the same time they post a help wanted ad for a secretorial position...?). I'm sure the fake smiles and feel good stories aren't something that's "just in the movies." I want to believe them and not be a cynical bitch. Alas....

As for the media, the way I've seen those slimeballs handle stories that I have some knowledge on has taught me you can't trust those motherf***ers for anything except what date it is (and even then I'm going to refer back to my calendar). It's all agenda and sensationalism. Pretty much anything that becomes a headline anymore, I'm skeptical as hell. And yet I see people lap that bullsh*t up like a dog at a water bowl on a hot day. So I don't doubt for a second that Max/Oswald scenarios do and have played out in real life. It's depressing, so I go into like shutdown mode and avoid it which is bad but trusting everything that we are told is worse.

My fourth thought is I'm sleep deprived and pissed off about it so I may have missed the point of this altogether. Oops.

This whole election has been utterly depressing.

Two terrible candidates and absolutely zero focus on policies and issues.  Just tittle-tattle and personal sleaze (and to be fair, that's as much the fault of the candidates for carrying such baggage, as it is with the media).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 16 Oct  2016, 12:50
My first thought is I would vote for Oswald over the idiots running in this year's US presidential election, because he has as much business in the White House as either of them.
Do you REALLY want to go there? Because I will go nuclear if pushed.

Nobody's pushing anything, but if you want to get a little man complex and have a bitchfit over what I said you're in the right corner.

Take it easy everyone. This thread is supposed to be discussing about the Penguin running for Mayor used for a personal agenda, not the current US election. :-\

As for the media, the way I've seen those slimeballs handle stories that I have some knowledge on has taught me you can't trust those motherf***ers for anything except what date it is (and even then I'm going to refer back to my calendar). It's all agenda and sensationalism. Pretty much anything that becomes a headline anymore, I'm skeptical as hell. And yet I see people lap that bullsh*t up like a dog at a water bowl on a hot day. So I don't doubt for a second that Max/Oswald scenarios do and have played out in real life. It's depressing, so I go into like shutdown mode and avoid it which is bad but trusting everything that we are told is worse.

Given how gullible the public were about Cobblepot and Schreck, it does seem as if Burton was mocking the masses. It wasn't the only time either; in B89, the greedy public were eager to show up for Joker's parade despite knowing he's a mass murdering psychopath.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've always leaned toward the satire interpretation myself. In a post-Carter world where a former movie star gets elected President in 1980 and reelected in 1984, it stands to reason someone like Burton would be a tiny bit weirded out by that.

I'm not taking political sides there; just venturing a guess.

Anyway, so I think he'd twist that concept for his own purposes, homage the TV show in the process and use the exercise as an opportunity to scrutinize the gullibility of the masses. Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And any mob of people is only as smart as its dumbest member. So in large masses of people, the stupidest run the show... ergo nearly electing a hideous freak like the Penguin to be the mayor.

Penguin was just a puppet to Max - but nonetheless he was a bad man who gave into his anger and resentment. He was given a friendly media image but it was all completely fake, with spin and coverup often utilised. He's sending his goons to cause mayhem in Gotham, just as a certain political party in the US hired goons to violently interfere in opponent's rallies to create a false narrative. The media fawned over the Penguin too with clear bias, which is still a problem today. And when the lid was finally lifted on the whole sham, the public learnt the freak should have been in prison instead of running for office.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 19 Oct  2016, 13:01Penguin was just a puppet to Max - but nonetheless he was a bad man who gave into his anger and resentment. He was given a friendly media image but it was all completely fake, with spin and coverup often utilised. He's sending his goons to cause mayhem in Gotham, just as a certain political party in the US hired goons to violently interfere in opponent's rallies to create a false narrative. The media fawned over the Penguin too with clear bias, which is still a problem today. And when the lid was finally lifted on the whole sham, the public learnt the freak should have been in prison instead of running for office.
Agreed. The Penguin groped a college girl in full view of the local media and nobody batted an eyelash over it. Even the college girl seemed to pretty much roll with it.

In light of current events in 1992 and in subsequent election years, it's frightening how much that rings true... not naming names but I'm sure you can think of a "public servant" or two who have done this sort of thing with all but professed complicity from news media.