"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 02:02Glad you all liked it. I think our feelings on the key points are universal. It's a different beast, it's pure Batman and a breath of fresh air. I've spaced my second viewing out and it's worthwhile to approach it that way. I enjoyed myself even more, and think it's on equal ground with Burton in terms of appreciation but for other reasons. I'm glad you saw it in the cinema colors, because this movie particularly needs that level of immersion.
I'll go a step farther and say that the movie was worth waiting through all of the delays and the drama. Quality material always is. I understand that the movie has to appeal to wide audiences. But there are a lot of treats for the hardcore fans going on in the movie and I value that.

Oh man, I'm so happy to see most of you liked it.

I've seen it three times now. I can't stop gushing over this movie. And that score is just stuck in my head. Giacchino did an amazing job with it. It may be the most effective Batman score. I still think Elfman has the most iconic Batman theme, but Giacchino has the overall better pace and mood. And one thing I loved about Reeves, is how he just held shots. You really get an understanding of what Batman is thinking, even if it's just him staring onward.

Bah, I love this movie!

Quote from: Travesty on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 16:13
And one thing I loved about Reeves, is how he just held shots. You really get an understanding of what Batman is thinking, even if it's just him staring onward.

Pattinson's Batman has a quality which, for me at least, has been lacking from every actor in the role since Keaton: that pensive internalised air of thoughtfulness, where you can tell he's constantly thinking and weighing his options. He doesn't stare at things blankly; he stares at them as though he's analysing them. Keaton exuded the same quality, and West did too in a more comical sense. I never really saw it in Kilmer, Clooney, Bale or Affleck, but Pattinson's got it. His Batman voice was perfect, but his body language was also carefully calculated for maximum effect. When not fighting he moves slowly and with precision, as though each step or inclination of his head is driven by intellect rather than impulse. It's hard to articulate the exact quality I mean, but West, Keaton and Pattinson all had it.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 17:12
And one thing I loved about Reeves, is how he just held shots. You really get an understanding of what Batman is thinking, even if it's just him staring onward.

Pattinson's Batman has a quality which, for me at least, has been lacking from every actor in the role since Keaton: that pensive internalised air of thoughtfulness, where you can tell he's constantly thinking and weighing his options. He doesn't stare at things blankly; he stares at them as though he's analysing them. Keaton exuded the same quality, and West did too in a more comical sense. I never really saw it in Kilmer, Clooney, Bale or Affleck, but Pattinson's got it. His Batman voice was perfect, but his body language was also carefully calculated for maximum effect. When not fighting he moves slowly and with precision, as though each step or inclination of his head is driven by intellect rather than impulse. It's hard to articulate the exact quality I mean, but West, Keaton and Pattinson all had it.

I completely agree. For the longest time I felt that Keaton was the only Batman actor that understood less is more. However, Pattinson got it right. Wasn't too much of a fan as to how that boiled over into his Bruce Wayne, but I thought the understated approach to Batman was on point and it's something we haven't seen on screen in 30 years.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 19:33

I completely agree. For the longest time I felt that Keaton was the only Batman actor that understood less is more. However, Pattinson got it right. Wasn't too much of a fan as to how that boiled over into his Bruce Wayne, but I thought the understated approach to Batman was on point and it's something we haven't seen on screen in 30 years.

Well, actually I think Affleck had it in spades--despite my problems with the movies, I was very much a fan of how Affleck played the character. Very evocative of Keaton, especially in BvS.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 17:12

Good point. Keaton and Pattinson especially have the power of extended silence which gives them an aura of weird mystery. Which is why I can't understand the comments which claim Pattinson feels like a regular man who happens to wear a fancy suit. He feels a lot more than that to me. He's operating on a heightened sense of awareness in the way you describe.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 10 Mar  2022, 12:17
my spoiler free review

https://www.batman-online.com/features/2022/3/10/the-batman-2022-review
Good thoughts Paul. I agree the film is being praised across the fandom. A large part of that is Reeves tapping into various influences from different eras, with Burton and Nolan fans particularly getting a lot of what they want. Your point about Batman being depicted like a sheriff is amplified when you consider the sound of his boots when he walks.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 10 Mar  2022, 12:17
my spoiler free review

https://www.batman-online.com/features/2022/3/10/the-batman-2022-review

Good review, ral. I didn't detect the reference to Hefti's theme in Giacchino's score, but I'll certainly keep an ear out for it the next time I watch the movie.

Nicolas Cage wants to play Egghead in the sequel.

Quote"I've been thinking about this, because we have this new, Robert Pattinson as the Batman, which I'm excited to see but I haven't seen it yet. The villain that Vincent Price played on the '60s show, Egghead. I think I want to have a go at Egghead. I think I could make him absolutely terrifying. And I have a concept for Egghead. So let them know over at Warner Bros. I'm down for Egghead."
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3707162/nicolas-cage-wants-to-play-a-terrifying-version-of-batman-villain-egghead/

I'm game. Nicholas Cage as Egghead. Why not?

Jason Alexander also said he wanted to play Egghead back in 2019.

Quote"Haven't seen Joker yet but it's clearly a hit. So, in anticipation of films featuring other Batman villains, who would be better than me to play Egghead? Go ahead, throw out some names."
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/joker-jason-alexander-wants-to-play-egghead-batman-villain/