"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
I dunno, I absolutely loved it. I'm having a hard time thinking of things I didn't like about it. People keep talking about the third act, but I had no problems with it. And that score was amazing.

I really am trying to think of things that I wasn't feelin, but I thoroughly loved it. I'm going again tomorrow, and I'm totally stoked.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 04:10
People keep talking about the third act, but I had no problems with it.
Glad you appreciated it too. And I agree - the third act is an essential part of the movie.

I'll see it again on the weekend.

I'll be in the spoiler thread after I see it again and properly digest it, but goddamn, did I love this movie. I'm going to give it more time and viewings, but I think this is my favorite live action Batman movie. I loved it!

I'm jotting down some observations between The Riddler and Batman which I think are important. More time and more viewings are the answer to a movie like this. Since I first saw it I haven't been able to stop thinking and typing about it. I'm now thinking it's possible if my childhood connection to Burton didn't exist I'd have no problem placing this at the top. Getting a trilogy or more of movies like this would be something else.

Oh, and another thing: Pattinson's Batvoice. I absolutely loved it! It was just the right amount of gruffly disguise, but not overbearing like Bale's. I had no problems understanding him. It was great!

Man, I loved this movie! lol

The opening segment that establishes Gotham feels like a modern love letter to the beginning of B89. We get an establishing shot from within the city that feels very inspired by that film, and we see how criminals feel about the possibility of running in to Batman. I have the introduction of Pattinson just about on par with Keaton's encounter with Nick and Eddie. Right now is a good time for those who sat at the front of the Pattinson Train.

I have a chance to see it tonight. I'm very curious about it. It's funny that most of the bad reviews I'm seeing go up on Youtube are predictably people who still carry a torch for The Dark Knight. Now I've come way around on the Nolan films and many of you will remember that I was a Burton or death guy at one time. Away from the toxicity of fandoms I was able to enjoy them. Alot. And being on the outside feels good. I don't feel the need to tear down the next wave of Batman stuff anymore. I can tune out the mob and just enjoy the thing on its own terms. I was all in on Battinson's casting and I look forward to sharing my thoughts. Let's see what we got!

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 14:49
I have a chance to see it tonight. I'm very curious about it. It's funny that most of the bad reviews I'm seeing go up on Youtube are predictably people who still carry a torch for The Dark Knight. Now I've come way around on the Nolan films and many of you will remember that I was a Burton or death guy at one time. Away from the toxicity of fandoms I was able to enjoy them.
Yeah, pretty much this. Getting shown the door at, ahem, that OTHER forum and settling in around here was good detox for me. Now, I can appreciate Nolan's trilogy in a way I never could've back then.

Amazing what one small change in the environment can make.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 14:49Alot. And being on the outside feels good. I don't feel the need to tear down the next wave of Batman stuff anymore. I can tune out the mob and just enjoy the thing on its own terms. I was all in on Battinson's casting and I look forward to sharing my thoughts. Let's see what we got!
The thing about Pattinson that works great for me is how it looks like there will be plenty of room to develop and evolve his version of the character in sequels. No idea if that was intentional. But the way people describe Pattinson's portrayal of the character, there are many ways to grow and refine him.

I don't think any previous incarnation of Batman onscreen has ever been in quite this position before.

I woke up happy knowing that I'm going to see this again.

I'll be in the theater in about 3hrs. Lets do this!

(I may go tomorrow and Sun, lol)

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 15:24
The thing about Pattinson that works great for me is how it looks like there will be plenty of room to develop and evolve his version of the character in sequels. No idea if that was intentional. But the way people describe Pattinson's portrayal of the character, there are many ways to grow and refine him.

I don't think any previous incarnation of Batman onscreen has ever been in quite this position before.
It's a huge reason why I'm so eager for the sequels. The people who say Pattinson's Bruce Wayne is lacking can't really use that as a complaint when they're witnessing the opening gambit of a character arc. The portrayal is deliberate and designed to grow. I see why at least three HBO Max spin-offs have been bandied about as well. There's a lot of ground covered in The Batman, but with such a complex Gotham City having been created it's screaming to be fleshed out. Because as I said previously, I'm not sure if three films would be enough otherwise. People would be left wanting more to see the full developments take place.