"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 26 Feb 2022, 11:00 #510 Last Edit: Sat, 26 Feb 2022, 11:05 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 26 Feb  2022, 04:41
I have a ton of faith in him. I don't think we'll be disappointed one bit.
Some older stuff I posted:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 17 May  2019, 09:46
I made my mind up about Pattison weeks ago and have wanted him to get the role ever since, so I'm glad things look to have turned out this way. To be completely honest I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get it now. It clicked in my mind really fast, from "WTF" to "actually... yeah...I see it."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  1 Jun  2019, 00:08
Glad to hear the deal is officially sealed. I would've been disappointed if Pat was passed over for Hoult.

These two comments also came to fruition:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 07:13
I'm hoping for a detective style Batman (using a flashlight ala BTAS) with the same physicality of Affleck.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 11 Feb  2019, 11:18
But that said, how about a film that reduces the Bruce Wayne aspect for one film of a trilogy? I'm talking about something like Arkham Asylum, where Bruce is in the suit all the time.

I'm getting JOKER vibes. The tone is similar. And like that movie, the main character's struggle drives the film. Reeves said Pattinson is almost "in every scene". There's going to be plenty of time for him to create an audience connection.

They've bandied about the idea of doing a trilogy. But if Reeves approaches each film from a standalone perspective, which he says he does, what's to say a fourth doesn't eventuate? WB would've pushed Bale and Nolan for another round despite their very deliberate ending. Reeves could decide to leave things more open.

The prospect of this Batman becoming a more seasoned veteran over time with Robin and company seems too good to pass up. Three films may not be enough. Reeves reiterated he's interested in using Batman world characters only, too - which is what most of us here want with his canon.

I just hope I like it, cause I'm loving the aesthetic and overall approach. It's where I thought Nolan would go, but he never did. Everything Reeves is saying is music to my ears. He really understands the lore and characters. He really does.  I dig the cast, and I'm loving the hardlined detective angle, where Batman is front and center. This could end up being my favorite live action Batman movie. All the pieces are there, so I'm hoping for the best. I haven't been this stoked for a Batman since BB or TDK.

I already have tickets for Thursday and Friday. I can't wait for Thursday to get here! Once I see it, I'll be in the spoilers thread talking about it. Stoked!

Does anyone fancy providing a review to place in the site's features?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun, 27 Feb 2022, 02:03 #513 Last Edit: Sun, 27 Feb 2022, 03:51 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 26 Feb  2022, 16:21
I haven't been this stoked for a Batman since BB or TDK.
I'm seeing quite a few people prefacing any reaction relating to The Batman with TDK praise. As if they always need to pay their obligatory respects to The Great One. I've loosened up towards that film now but it's not a sacred cow we all must bow down to. From a pure Batman perspective, Begins is the highlight of the Nolan era. And even then there are various areas for improvement. For some fans and critics, it seem the best any future Batman film (The Batman included) can hope for is 'standing alongside' TDK. Which is simply not true.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sat, 26 Feb  2022, 20:26
Does anyone fancy providing a review to place in the site's features?
SN may want to do that. I'll type my thoughts down in any case.

Reviews are starting to come out. I only watched 2 from some YTrs who I like, and they seemed to love it.

Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 28 Feb  2022, 19:03
Reviews are starting to come out. I only watched 2 from some YTrs who I like, and they seemed to love it.
I'm trying to not read any of them. Will be seeing it tomorrow.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  4 Feb  2022, 17:09My anticipation for this movie isn't dying down. If anything, I'm starting to consider buying a theater ticket.
You know what? I'm full of it. This movie has earned a ticket price from me a thousand times over by now. So yeah, I'm most likely seeing it this weekend.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Mon, 28 Feb  2022, 20:09
Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 28 Feb  2022, 19:03
I'm trying to not read any of them. Will be seeing it tomorrow.
It's getting slam dunk reviews. I'm seeing it tomorrow as well, and will share my thoughts immediately after seeing the movie. I promise there won't be spoilers. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

This thing promises to be Batman with a capital B.

I have seen The Batman and I've been busy digesting my thoughts.

The film has the spirit of Batman but is presented through a very different lens. Nothing in the existing back catalogue feels quite like this. It is very much a slow burn story that requires the full three hours to unravel itself. Prior to sitting down I had seen commentary that the final act was one step too many, and I can't agree. Without the last segment The Riddler's plot would lack ultimate payoff and Batman's character arc would be reduced.

The film has a near perfect balance of Batman having a feared reputation while also being a more visible operator inside the Police Force and on the streets of Gotham. Batman is able to interact with a variety of people while still guarding his emotions and holding on to his privacy. His threat level doesn't feel reduced in any way. A big well done on that - the way it was presented feels like a breakthrough achievement for the franchise.

I'm confident enough to say the relationships with Gordon and Selina are the most fleshed out we've seen so far in live action. While still being early days, Gordon and Batman feel like an established team who have built the foundations of mutual understanding and respect. Batman and Selina clearly have romantic feelings for one another, but Reeves knows how to balance that out. They have similarities but come from different worlds. They work together but ultimately remain individuals. I like where the film leaves them - it feels appropriate.

Pattinson is great as Batman. He has the brooding elements down and I'm excited to see his portrayal expand over the course of the coming films. The suit itself looks incredible in motion (I'd keep it exactly the same, including the Batmobile), as does the world he inhabits. Gotham feels like a real city while not being any one specific city, which I think is an important element to nail. Not to trash the past to justify the future, but n his trilogy Nolan inserted a variety of sight gags and quips that I felt didn't hit the mark. Reeves goes for none of that, and I believe the tone is better for it. We receive full immersion in this very specific atmosphere.

All in all, a very strong start to this new continuity. I see it as the beginning of even greater things to come.

So did you like it? lol

How would you rank it with the other live action movies?