"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 14 Feb  2022, 14:55
He actually said he wants to do the Court of Owls? That's pretty cool.

He also said he's sat down with Reeves and they talked about where they want the character to go in future movies. Maybe they talked about the Owls? What's the full quote on that?
He said it here, and also referenced wanting Calendar Man:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-batman-robert-pattinson-sequel-villains/

My name has been down for wanting the Owls for a long time. It's a modern classic storyline and would be dynamite for a live action translation done in the high quality darkness style of Reeves and Fraser. I think the Owls could keep things feeling fresh going forward. Have your Riddlers, Penguins and Catwomans, Hell, even your Jokers. Because let's face it, they're still who the fans will want to see. But setting them in a world run by the Owls would be the difference, and slightly reduces their focus. Reeves is very big on "shaking Batman to his core".

The Owls also do that not just to him, but the mob and the costumed villains.

I have my ticket, by the way. It's the calm before the storm at the moment, but I get the feeling we're on the cusp of a B89/TDK event of significance. Perhaps not that level of hype, because those two films were truly something else. But in terms of being a good movie that banks a ton of cash, it's shaping up to be something to remember.

Some new footage, some familiar footage, lots of new dialogue tho.

My anticipation for this thing is not diminishing.

That new scene with Batman punching Gordon seems a bit odd to me. I guess he's doing it to disguise his relationship with Gordon within the GCPD, but it was an odd scene to watch.

My copy of Before The Batman arrived. It didn't take long to read, and while it's aimed at younger fans, it felt consistent with what Reeves is depicting in his movie. The crux of the story is that Battinson has lived in Wayne Tower since Wayne Manor became an orphanage, set up shop in the lower basement, experiments with forensics, built/modified the Batmobile himself, and briefly engaged in street racing. The book also presents the first entry of his journal and reveals he has already travelled the world learning various martial arts.

Not essential reading, but it does set the scene. What struck me was how relatable Nashton was as a character. I saw his point of view completely and didn't disagree with him either, despite his perspective being slightly off. If that is translated to the film we'll have a three dimensional villain.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 19 Feb  2022, 21:42
That new scene with Batman punching Gordon seems a bit odd to me. I guess he's doing it to disguise his relationship with Gordon within the GCPD, but it was an odd scene to watch.
Looked fine to me, and I'm sure will make more sense in the normal flow of the film. Really cool to see Batman run away like that at speed. My first thought was the Arkham games - that's how players move through the corridors most of the time. And it's actually what happens when Batman 'disappears' on people.

I can't finish my comment without mentioning Pattinson's voice. He nailed it, as far as I'm concerned. In terms of live action, and without digital distortion, it's up there with Keaton and Kilmer.

About ten days left.

Final trailer. Supposedly.

I have very few criticisms of this movie so far. Honestly, I think the overabundance of TV spots and trailers is my biggest quibble.

And yet, kind of like The Dark Knight, I don't think these trailers and spots are necessarily giving away the store with the movie's storyline. Watch closely and see how many spoilers ARE NOT in them. I value that very highly.

The abundance of TV spots and trailers has been concerning from a spoiler point of view. However, I understand the need to promote a product that the studio clearly has confidence in. There isn't really any way around that. For a three hour movie, the chosen footage for the marketing really consists of the same sequences we've already seen in other clips. I'm happy about that. But indeed, I've seen enough. It's time to release the movie.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 20 Feb  2022, 14:24

I can't finish my comment without mentioning Pattinson's voice. He nailed it, as far as I'm concerned. In terms of live action, and without digital distortion, it's up there with Keaton and Kilmer.

I don't exactly know how I feel about the voice just yet. I can definitely say I don't hate it, but I do need to hear more of it to properly compare. I don't think it'll top Keaton or Conroy for me, but it doesn't sound sloppy like Bale's in TDK or TDKR. It does sound more like Bale from BB, which I always liked.

So we'll see. I'm just glad I don't hate it, cause it seems we'll be seeing Pattinson in the Batsuit more than any other version(aside from West), so I'm sure we'll hear him talk a lot, too.

The full soundtrack released, and while I haven't heard the full album, I did listen to this, and I really like this track a lot. Nice buildup, and the drums come in heavy. Very moody. I like it a lot.

I have the album. The score isn't bad, and I'm sure it will suit the atmosphere of the film. But it's largely what I expected with Giacchino. It's similar to his Spider-Man work in the sense things are fine when the main theme is used (which is really good), but that's minimally. And outside of that the cues are somewhat average. I get the hype side of things with the movie, but I can't pretend this is Elfman or even Zimmer territory, the latter who I grew to appreciate.

These would be my picks so far:

Can't Fight City Halloween
It's Raining Vengeance
Funeral and Far Between
Highway to the Anger Zone
For All Your Pennyworth
A Bat In The Rafters Pt 2
The Bat's True Calling
All's Well That Ends Farewell

I'll revisit my initial comments after I see it paired with the action.

The opening weekend is now on target for $105-$135 million and the screenings have gone well. As someone who championed Pattinson very early on, it's hard to believe I'm seeing the movie in four days. And it's exciting that I really have minimal idea as to definitive plot spoilers. I think it's going to be good, but how good? It's going to be interesting working out film ranking after this.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Feb  2022, 03:25As someone who championed Pattinson very early on, it's hard to believe I'm seeing the movie in four days.
In summary, my early reaction was...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 04:54I suppose the silver lining in this is that the next movie can exist on its own terms without a necessary tie to Batman's arc of redemption under Affleck. There won't be that lingering question in the back of all our minds about connective tissue between a solo Affleck movie and the DCEU. The new movie can simply BE.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jun  2019, 02:03
I reiterate everything I said before about Pattinson. There are tons of worse choices out there. And frankly, there are probably not very many better ones.

This is a casting decision I can live with.

One thing that works for me is the detective angle. I would love for Reeves to really play up that element of the character since audiences haven't seen very much of that in live action.

Either way, I'm definitely interested in this movie now. Yes, Affleck would've been my preference but the role is definitely in good hands with Pattinson.
I have a ton of faith in him. I don't think we'll be disappointed one bit.