"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 20:59
I still haven't seen Halle Berry's Catwoman, lol.

I don't think I've ever actually sat down and watched the entire film in one sitting. I'm sure I've seen all of it in bits and pieces when it's been on TV, but I've never been able to stomach watching the whole thing in one go. Or if I did, I only did it the once.

Maybe we should all share in the misery of revisiting Catwoman '04 this year...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 21:46When people say that, I usually assume the unspoken part is "... since *I* started reading". I don't see loudmouths whining about Batman comics compared to film as often these days tho. That guy is the first one in a long time, honestly.

True. The argument over comic book accuracy seemed to peak during the Nolan era and then die down a bit. But I wouldn't be surprised if it flared up again in 2022, what with there being three live action Batman movies looming and three different Batman actors to compare.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 28 Jan  2022, 15:26
I hope we don't get the white lenses, I just don't think it works in live action. Especially with how amazing Pattinson's eyes look in that cowl. Reeves really knows how to make his eyes pop.

But I do like those contact lenses that can record what he sees. I think that's a good idea. I think something like that was used before in a certain comic/story, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Agree about the white lenses. It works in the comics and animation but I not convinced it does in live action. An actor's eyes enhance the performance. I'm willing to accept occasional use in something like a mech suit, but perhaps not regular use. TDK's sonar eyes are a good example against them.

Which one is your favorite?

The others are okay but posters 1 and 3 from the top row are my choices.

This from Total Film is something special:

Tickets go on sale February 10.

Any box office predictions? The movie had a $100 million budget, so I can't see it not making a profit of some considerable size. Many platforms have it listed as the most anticipated 2022 release. I'm reluctant to say it will reach No away Home's total, but I do foresee it being successful.

It's really hard to predict with the pandemic. I don't think it'll do Spiderman numbers, but I do think it'll be profitable. Its legs will depend on the reception it gets.

I hope it does Spiderman numbers, but we'll see.

Anybody picked up any new merch? I got a Batman McFarlane figure, a HotWheels Batmobile, and a Jada Batmobile is on the way. I'm waiting on that Hot Toys reveal.

The lack of a day and date streaming release will probably benefit the theatrical run.

For better or worse, the Snyderverse is controversial among the general public. TB has less stink on it. But the general public obviously still loves Batman so I think $600 million worldwide is a safe bet. NWH numbers seem highly unlikely, yeah. But then again, NWH numbers are also unnecessary.

The real question will be whether TB is still considered "successful" even after it inevitably fails to gross $1 billion worldwide.

I think the movie ends up with a healthy total, challenging the box office totals of TDK and TDK Rises. I'm happy to eat my hat if it doesn't happen, but I think the one billion mark is possible. But surpassing No Way Home is way too high a barrier. The Spider-Man fanbase is younger than Batman's and more diverse in terms of mainstream appeal.

Either way, The Batman will make a profit thanks to its $100 million budget. I hate the critics as much as anybody, but we're lying to ourselves if we pretend poor reviews don't hurt a film. They certainly smashed The Matrix Resurrections, which had the double hit of the streaming option which just about everyone who saw the film took. If the critical consensus is positive, that confirms pre-existing hype and builds momentum.

Repeat business is how you get huge box office totals.

Here's a positive statistic:

QuoteThe latest Dark Knight flick — starring Robert Pattinson and set to come out on March 4 – looks poised to drive fans to the theater. Of more than 1,000 respondents who said they are interested in seeing The Batman, 61% said they prefer to see it in a movie theater — the highest percentage of any major film coming out in the next few months.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/omicron-surge-impacts-movie-business-with-smaller-theater-audiences/

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  2 Feb  2022, 02:32
Anybody picked up any new merch? I got a Batman McFarlane figure, a HotWheels Batmobile, and a Jada Batmobile is on the way. I'm waiting on that Hot Toys reveal.
I'll pick up the McFarlane Toys Batman figure and the Batcycle. Possibly also their Riddler figure. Not too bothered about getting Catwoman, but we'll see. I will 100% purchase the 1:18 Jada Batmobile, which looks very impressive. I'm waiting for the Making of The Batman book too, which was delayed by a month or so, possibly due to spoiler content being contained within.

Yeah, I'll probably be getting the Making Of book, as well.