"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
And another B66 comparison I didn't even think about, was that gif I posted of Batman running down the building. Kinda reminds me of Adam West:

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 15:12Yeah, it's something I said before, and I know you mentioned it last week. The cowl has similar aesthetic callbacks to Adam West's cowl, along with things like the Batmobile, etc. It would be cool if he incorporates a Batpole going into the Batcave somehow. lol
I find B66 influences, even through a darker lens, to be incredibly exciting because it validates that incarnation as influential and legitimate in terms of DNA.

Thu, 27 Jan 2022, 15:51 #472 Last Edit: Thu, 27 Jan 2022, 21:42 by thecolorsblend
Am I the only one rly digging what we've seen of the fight choreography in this movie? The stuff in this TV spot look awesome, just the sort of thing I've been looking for in a Batman movie.

Oh yeah, the fighting looks great. I think it's the best we've seen in a Batman movie yet. Everything is so brutal.

I'm really digging the Batman '66 comparisons in this thread. A director who respects the sixties TV show is someone I can trust.

Right now I find myself open to reading spoilers for The Flash but not for The Batman. I guess that's because I'm confident The Batman will be a good film, whereas I'm merely hopeful that The Flash will be.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 15:11
Catwoman actually has a whip this time, keeps stray cats, uses disguises and the byplay with Batman seems to have way more meat. It remains to be seen if Kravitz beats Michelle in sheer sex appeal - I think that's a near impossible task - but I foresee this being the best written incarnation on film. I'm personally hoping the film builds up romantic tension between the two but it is never consummated. Batman knows they are walking in different directions and thus can't fully embrace her as a partner. But he's not making her one of his hated enemies.

My ranking of the live action Catwomen, from best to worst, currently looks something like this.

1.   Newmar/Pfeiffer (tie)
2.   Meriwether
3.   Kitt
4.   Hathaway
5.   Berry

I'm doubtful that Kravitz will be able to take the top spot (though it's possible), but I'm expecting her to surpass Berry and Hathaway. If she can approximate the awesomeness of Meriwther or Kitt, both of whom delivered iconic performances IMO, then I'll be very happy. If she can top them, I'll be impressed.

Slightly off topic, but it saddens me that I still occasionally see people calling Pfeiffer's version CINO (Catwoman In Name Only) and claiming she has no basis in the comics. Here, for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/qea61t/why_do_people_act_like_michelle_pfeiffers/

Ten years ago I wrote a site feature specifically to address this criticism: https://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/5/29/comic-analysis-michelle-pfeiffer-catwoman

Other than me misremembering the colour of Selina's dress in her debut story (it was green, not red), the information in that feature is sound. Pfeiffer's Catwoman is faithful to the comics: she's a mixture of the original Earth-Two Catwoman and the Pre-Zero Hour version that was canonical at the time of the film's production. Dismissing her as having "nothing" to do with the comics is plain wrong. But that's the internet for you.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 15:51
Am I the only one rly digging what we've seen of the fight choreography in this movie? The stuff in this TV spots look awesome, just the sort of thing I've been looking for in a Batman movie.

I'm stoked for the fight scenes too. I can't wait to get started on the 'Fighting Style of the Pattinson Batman' thread. ;D

I still haven't seen Halle Berry's Catwoman, lol.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 17:59Slightly off topic, but it saddens me that I still occasionally see people calling Pfeiffer's version CINO (Catwoman In Name Only) and claiming she has no basis in the comics.
When people say that, I usually assume the unspoken part is "... since *I* started reading". I don't see loudmouths whining about Batman comics compared to film as often these days tho. That guy is the first one in a long time, honestly.

The way I describe the past is that it's perfectly legitimate but with room for expansion. That's what I mean with the best written comment. The same is true for the Batman/Gordon relationship. I generally prefer what Burton went for with Keaton and Hingle: meeting minimally, lighting up the signal and letting Batman do his thing. But I do acknowledge more dialogue equals more opportunities for character growth, as was the case with B66 and BTAS.

At the end of the day it really is about what type of portrayal people like. A good actor and performance can be stronger than better writing. I predict Michelle will still have her throne after I see The Batman because her magnetism and accumulated nostalgia is just too strong. Plus the comic accuracy we all know about. But I do think Kravitz will be right up there.

The TV spots reveal Battinson is wearing contact lenses, that presumably record his activities during the night. Specifically crime scenes and fights he becomes involved in. Allowing him to review the footage when he goes back to the cave and theoretically improve his performance. That is a very nice touch, leaning hard into to the gadgetry and obsessiveness aspects.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 23:05
The way I describe the past is that it's perfectly legitimate but with room for expansion. That's what I mean with the best written comment. The same is true for the Batman/Gordon relationship. I generally prefer what Burton went for with Keaton and Hingle: meeting minimally, lighting up the signal and letting Batman do his thing. But I do acknowledge more dialogue equals more opportunities for character growth, as was the case with B66 and BTAS.

At the end of the day it really is about what type of portrayal people like. A good actor and performance can be stronger than better writing. I predict Michelle will still have her throne after I see The Batman because her magnetism and accumulated nostalgia is just too strong. Plus the comic accuracy we all know about. But I do think Kravitz will be right up there.

The TV spots reveal Battinson is wearing contact lenses, that presumably record his activities during the night. Specifically crime scenes and fights he becomes involved in. Allowing him to review the footage when he goes back to the cave and theoretically improve his performance. That is a very nice touch, leaning hard into to the gadgetry and obsessiveness aspects.
I see it as a gateway to FINALLY getting a cowl with lenses over the eyes in live action.

I hope we don't get the white lenses, I just don't think it works in live action. Especially with how amazing Pattinson's eyes look in that cowl. Reeves really knows how to make his eyes pop.

But I do like those contact lenses that can record what he sees. I think that's a good idea. I think something like that was used before in a certain comic/story, but I can't remember off the top of my head.