"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

"A Batman movie without Aquaman (he can control sea life), Cyborg (he's a cyborg) or any of the rest of the corny Justice League characters already sounded like a 100 per cent improvement"

I mean, I get that this is supposed to be a bit of a puff piece to hype up The Batman and everything. But was crap like this necessary?

But otherwise, good little interview.

Yeah, Pattinson's a bit ignorant on this point. Mask of the Phantasm wasn't the only film to deal with the subject of Bruce Wayne not being able to lead a normal life. It's largely the driving point of his relationship with Vicki Vale and even the Nolan films had his desire for a relationship with Rachel Dawes.

Indeed. The vibe of Burton's films indicates Keaton isn't leading a normal life.

Vicki Vale: Some people think you're as dangerous as the Joker.
Batman: He's psychotic.
Vicki Vale: Some people say the same about you.
Batman: What people?
Vicki Vale: Well, face it. You're not exactly normal, are you?
Batman: This isn't exactly a normal world, is it?

Reeves and Pattinson are trending in the right direction with their interview comments in the sense I like what tone they're going for, but not everything they say sticks. You mentioned B89, but Batman Forever also counts. Bruce made peace with his decision to be Batman, but he clearly is a troubled individual throughout the film as evidenced with his numerous flashbacks and psychiatrist visits.

TDK Trilogy focused on Batman being a monster Bruce used to do good, but eventually seeing he inspired copycats and the death of Harvey. Bale hoped to be Batman short term so he could be with Rachel. In the end it was with Selina. Batman as a lifestyle was shown to be a burden.

Alfred: "You used to talk about finishing, about a life beyond that awful cave."

The Batman will push these elements harder but it's not true that past incarnations ignored them completely. I really believe it was a question of tone and balance in the past, rather than them being cowardly. I respect Batman's past too much to let those comments go. But I am ready to see the reclusive loner angle dialled up to 11 now. To really see the darkest knight we've probably had so far.

Reeves also said he treated the Batmobile as a horror figure, appearing out of nowhere and the like. I agree with him that sounds good, but I wonder if he's insinuating it's a new development, because it's not. Snyder especially leaned in to that in BvS and ZSJL. I'll put these comments down to hyping up a new movie. I'm excited about it continuing an already great legacy into the future. I think it will.

This is a scene from one of the new trailers. It's Batman running down a building. Such a cool shot. Reeves really knows how to make Batman look amazing.

He does. Feels very Arkham Origins in terms of energy. Fast, brutal, fantastical but also grounded.

A brief clip shows bats swarming in the underground area being used as the cave, which is under Wayne Tower this time. I think Battinson released Bats into the room - rather them than naturally being there. It seems more likely. Pushing the obesssion/mental illness angle further. We see a caged bat in a room somewhere from a previous TV spot - which again could reference B89 as he did a similar thing, as Vicki saw herself. I've made the 1966 comparison before, but the new base does feel like a modern, darker version of that flat floored aesthetic to me.

There's this new poster too.

I've seen dissatisfaction expressed, but I quite like it. Especially from the perspective it's a throwback to the 1990s Batman movie posters, specifically BR, BF and B&R. I probably still prefer the red rain teaser, but appreciate their bravery in going this direction again.

We live in an era where a movie poster has to look good and eye-catching on social media. COVID put pedal to the metal on that. But it's been that way for a long time.

That poster... isn't what I might've wanted. I liked the red poster better too. Still, this fire poster has a lot of the same design balance as the Batman Begins poster (or DVD cover? I forget which.), the orange hues deepen the similarity and so it's vaguely familiar Batman imagery combined with new takes on the Riddler and the Penguin, both of whom have been MIA from live action for quite some time.

Then there's the mysterious Riddler/Zodiac graffiti that emphasizes who the film's primary antagonist will be.

All in all, I'd say this poster does a good job of attracting attention. Another piece of TB media, another hit, if you ask me. The cast, crew and marketing department are all firing on all cylinders.

Catwoman actually has a whip this time, keeps stray cats, uses disguises and the byplay with Batman seems to have way more meat. It remains to be seen if Kravitz beats Michelle in sheer sex appeal - I think that's a near impossible task - but I foresee this being the best written incarnation on film. I'm personally hoping the film builds up romantic tension between the two but it is never consummated. Batman knows they are walking in different directions and thus can't fully embrace her as a partner. But he's not making her one of his hated enemies.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 27 Jan  2022, 14:47

A brief clip shows bats swarming in the underground area being used as the cave, which is under Wayne Tower this time. I think Battinson released Bats into the room - rather them than naturally being there. It seems more likely. Pushing the obesssion/mental illness angle further. We see a caged bat in a room somewhere from a previous TV spot - which again could reference B89 as he did a similar thing, as Vicki saw herself.

QuoteI've made the 1966 comparison before, but the new base does feel like a modern, darker version of that flat floored aesthetic to me.
Yeah, it's something I said before, and I know you mentioned it last week. The cowl has similar aesthetic callbacks to Adam West's cowl, along with things like the Batmobile, etc. It would be cool if he incorporates a Batpole going into the Batcave somehow. lol

Oh, and I rather like the poster. I think it looks great.  :)