"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Jan  2022, 23:37
I liked the scene. It shows Bruce is really concentrated on the boy who just lost his father. You can tell he feels really bad for the kid. I also like how in the zone he is when he sees Riddler in the rafters, and then he runs and rescues the kid from the vehicle busting through the church. Good stuff.
It just all seems way too convenient that nobody is noticing someone like Bruce Wayne pulling off superhero feats. The City Hall scene was great at portraying that Bruce Wayne can't do Batman things when he's not in costume. Sure he got shot in the arm but it wasn't like they had to draw out the danger of the situation by him saving one of the children that were present in the scene. One of the criticisms of Batman Forever is why Bruce Wayne sneaking around the circus to take out Two-Face's thugs and even heroically jumps onto a rope to take them out. Why didn't anyone acknowledge this? Even the writer of the novelization knew how ridiculous this was and used it as a point for Chase Meridian to conclude that Bruce Wayne and  Batman wear the same person. For a movie that's nearly three hours, I hope the points I've made are acknowledged and addressed because this is a point not to be overlooked. Even in the Nolan films, they were careful not to make Bruce Wayne seem to heroic out of the bat costume.

Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 02:07 #451 Last Edit: Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 03:14 by Travesty
That kind of thing doesn't bug me. What do you want to happen: the kid just gets run over by a car? He just ran and grabbed him. It's what Bruce Wayne should do. It's why I liked the beginning of BvS, where everybody is running away from the destruction going on downtown, and Bruce Wayne is seen running into the danger to help. Normal everyday people can do heroic things. It happens. If Bruce doesn't have his Batsuit nearby, he should still be stepping up to do something.

Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 02:18 #452 Last Edit: Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 02:20 by thecolorsblend
I mean, realistically GCPD, the DA's office and the entire international media would have to be pretty dumb to not figure out that Bruce is Batman in, like, five minutes. I'm willing to look the other way on him not keeping a supposedly tight enough hold on his secret identity.

Also, I would say there's a big difference between Bruce rescuing some kid in public when he has a chance to do so and, for example, Bruce fighting off a hundred ninjas or something in public. Anybody would probably save a life if they could. But not just anybody can fight a hundred ninjas and survive the experience.

Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 24 Jan  2022, 02:07
That kind of thing doesn't bug me. What do you want to happen: the kid just gets run over by a car? He just ran and grabbed him. It's what Bruce Wayne should do. It's why I liked the beginning of BvS, where everybody is running away from the destruction going on downtown, and Bruce Wayne is seen running into the danger to help. Normal everyday people can do heroic things. It happens. If Bruce doesn't have his Batsuit nearby, he should still be stepping up to do something.
I concur. It's heroic, but in this case I wouldn't classify grabbing a child from harms way as a superhero feat, and the fact the room is hysterical with fear helps him to blend in regardless. The Batman Forever sequence is another level of prowess altogether. I'm all for secret identities but when it pushes the hero into being perceived as a buffoon I get uneasy. And the same goes for Clark Kent's klutz routine. I'd rather Bruce be thought of how Keaton's was. A loner who appears every so often, isn't necessarily friendly but doesn't bother anyone.

Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 16:37 #454 Last Edit: Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 16:41 by Kamdan
QuoteWhat do you want to happen: the kid just gets run over by a car?
I want the filmmakers to not convolute a situation like that sorely for that purpose. The first Rami Spider-Man had an annoying part in the Unity Day Festival sequence when they placed a child in danger by having him just stand in place for Spider-Man to save him when there was nothing stopping him from running out of the danger zone. This scene in The Batman was beautiful when he looked and related with the kid over their mutual experience over deaths in the family. It drives home why Batman does what he does. You don't need that extra bit of Wayne happening to save him as the only person who decided to stand directly in the path of the oncoming vehicle.

QuoteIt's why I liked the beginning of BvS, where everybody is running away from the destruction going on downtown, and Bruce Wayne is seen running into the danger to help.

The Batman v. Superman situation was a different scenario that required Bruce Wayne to drop his typical persona to immediately help people trapped in his building. This open situation at the funeral is quite compromising. He is recognized by the cop, so he obviously has a profile that fellow citizens can recognize, something Keaton's Wayne wanted to avoid and Bale's Wayne understood he needed to be stereotypical spoiled rich playboy to allay suspicions.

Again, I hope this act is integral to the plot as Riddler saw it all happen before he left and that's a tell-tale sign who's really The Batman.

QuoteI mean, realistically GCPD, the DA's office and the entire international media would have to be pretty dumb to not figure out that Bruce is Batman in, like, five minutes.
EXACTLY why Wayne detours suspicions like that with his resources and the way he acts in public. This isn't Wonder Woman 1984 where we're lead to believe that no one will reveal the hero's heroic deeds by the hero putting her finger up to her lip and trust it will be kept a secret.

QuoteIt's heroic, but in this case I wouldn't classify grabbing a child from harms way as a superhero feat, and the fact the room is hysterical with fear helps him to blend in regardless.
The distance between the two and how fast Wayne was able to run against a speeding vehicle is definitely a super-heroic feat, especially in this realistic portrayal.

I don't see the problem with it. He just ran over and grabbed a kid. It's not like a threw a smoke bomb, and then grabbed the kid and grappled up to the rooftops.

Saving someone from an oncoming car seems to be a pretty normal human thing to do, if you can do it. I don't perceive it as being extraordinary.

But if you don't like it, then you don't like it. It is what it is.

Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 20:09 #456 Last Edit: Mon, 24 Jan 2022, 20:11 by Kamdan
QuoteSaving someone from an oncoming car seems to be a pretty normal human thing to do, if you can do it. I don't perceive it as being extraordinary.

But if you don't like it, then you don't like it. It is what it is.
Again, this is considered extraordinary when you precieve the distance between the two and how fast that truck was barreling down the aisle. It'd be a different story if Wayne was standing right next to the kid.

Just because I'm offering criticisms on just ONE aspect of an otherwise terrific scene, it doesn't mean I "don't like it." Again, for the third time, I hope this is a detail that will play into the movie and not just be a lame executive's idea of giving the title character something to do besides stand around.

We already know via interviews that Pattinson is blurring the lines with his personas, which angers Alfred. He just doesn't care about having a work life balance, but that will have to change. Keaton's Bruce was probably a year two Batman as well, but seemed to be more of a final product in comparison to Pattinson despite still having strong anti social elements. The circus scene in Forever is going for something else. Kilmer literally shouts out he is Batman but his voice gets drowned out by the crowd. His actions after that could be seen as not even caring who finds out his secret because he deems the situation that serious, and was prepared to end his double life right there anyway.

Also, I found this edit with The Mask of the Phantasm, which is a very nice showcase of Giacchino's music:

https://twitter.com/TheBatmanFilm_/status/1485209973378461697

QuoteThe circus scene in Forever is going for something else. Kilmer literally shouts out he is Batman but his voice gets drowned out by the crowd. His actions after that could be seen as not even caring who finds out his secret because he deems the situation that serious, and was prepared to end his double life right there anyway.
Ooh, yes! You are correct. This is reiterated when Grayson is blaming him for their deaths and he tells him, "If Bruce Wayne could've given his life for your family, he would have."

Here's a quote from Pattinson. I like how he's mentioning MOTP, but I don't think I agree with him here. I thought B89 delved into this, along with parts of Nolan's movies. Unless I'm mixing up what he said here?

-"I sincerely believe that the tone of 'The Batman' has nothing to do (opposed to the previous movies), it feels new. In the comics, Batman is someone more... unstable. If you read between the lines, it's actually very sad. Whereas in the cinema, it is always his heroic side that is put forward. The Batman does the opposite, we capture the inner bubbling of the character. In my opinion, the only other to achieve this is the animated film 'Batman : Mask Of The Phantasm'. When I saw it, it clicked: being Batman is a kind of curse, it's a burden. But hey man, you decided that, right? "No no no, I HAVE to be Batman. I was chosen, not the other way around".