"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
A new trailer just dropped about an hour ago. Almost completely new scenes that we haven't seen before. We can clearly see Gotham getting flooded here, and really good shots of Batman and Catwoman here. You also hear more of The Riddler.

Pattinson looks so good in the Batsuit. I love this suit.

Seems like Reeves wants to move the camera around a lot and give the movie sort of a flashy edge. I'm fine with that, personally. It shows off the city, the production design, the costumes, etc. Plus, when the camera stays stock still (as it does during the car crash bit), it offers a good contrast to the rest of the cinematography.

Again, this thing is shaping up to be great.

The drama of being so focused on crime fighting while neglecting your civilian life brought us arguably the greatest superhero film of all time in Spider-Man 2. I love that The Batman is leaning hard into that. The dynamic between Batman and Catwoman seems great, very much like BTAS and the comics. I can see this dynamic being the best written, even if Michael and Michelle still end up having the most chemistry. But even that is up for debate now. The action is what I want it to be. Same with the detective stuff with the flashlights, and how the film simply looks.

New poster. Man, I love this cowl. And Pattinson's eyes look really good in it.

Good point. The cowl looks like leather or something. A welcome change from all the sculpted rubber or plastic of previous bat costumes.

I approve.

Here's a new article about Matt Reeves. with some quotes from the cast. A good read:

https://www.moviemaker.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-detective-story/

I still prefer the red silhouette in the rain, which I think is one of the best posters in the series. But I like this one also. It feels appropriate to the movie given it's focusing so intimately on the man himself.

The movie itself is pretty much confirmed to be 2 hours 55 minutes long, which I am happy to hear as it means a complete experience. And again, the detective aspect is my most anticipated element. It's a huge part of Batman and it's about time we had it fleshed out on screen.

These quotes from Rob confirm my enthusiasm in that regard:

"In the first meeting, he was saying, we want to lean into the 'world's greatest detective aspect,' and be a detective noir movie. And, you know, normally when directors say that, they just do like a mood board. And it's just about the imagery. But I read the script, and it is. It's a detective movie. It happens all the time in the graphic novels, but it's always kind of on the backburner in the movies."

Reeves himself says this about the detective component:

"The detective aspect occupies a large part of The Batman. And if it has always been an anecdotal element in the other films, the explanation is simple : it's super hard. The big challenge is to explain how and why a guy with a bat suit shows up on a crime scene. Robert told me something that I love: I think you almost have to see him as a shaman in those moments. And the very fact of being masked sets him apart. He doesn't need to think about how he reacts to others, so his senses are sharpened, his awareness is increased. He's someone who has never dealt with his grief and who puts it under the rug by focusing on the details, by connecting the clues...by becoming a great detective. A pure block of neurosis that investigates, Sherlock Holmes style."

Also this quote below excites me - I've always felt Begins Bruce's transition to Batman was too clean. He goes off to train with Ras and more or less comes back as the final product Batman. Pattinson's version takes a longer time during his early years to settle into his personas:

"There's an element in the other iterations of the story where Bruce goes off, does his training, masters himself and then comes back to Gotham as a fully realized character and the delineation between Bruce and Batman the public Bruce, the private Bruce, and the Batman Bruce — are very contained and he can control them more easily," says Pattinson. And in this, the lines have totally blurred. His self as Bruce is sort of disintegrating."

A very special movie has been made. I can feel it.

Yeah, everything I'm reading for this movie sounds great. Reeves is a pretty big fan, and seems to really know his stuff. And Pattinson seems to also love and respect the character. This seems like the first director of a solo movie to be such a huge fan.

I'm also in love with this Batsuit. I think it's my favorite live action suit. I've never bought a HotToys before, but I think I'm gonna get one for this.

The cowl and the Batmobile feel like darker updates of the 1966 TV show, giving a sense of simplicity that feels accessible. It's a subtle form of realism considering the concept of Batman is far from being real.

Burton understood Batman from his own innate love of weird loners who had bad childhoods. And he had the most visual flair. Nolan came with a love of crime drama. Snyder shared Burton's love of visuals, with a specific focus on heightened drama. Reeves does seem to be the biggest pure Batman fan of the lot, and we'll soon see how that translates to the big screen.

This track from the official soundtrack was released:

I personally think Giacchino is inferior to Elfman and Zimmer, but he's proving to be suitable for this film and also Batman. I like that he's providing something more traditional in terms of melody, and his main theme itself is instantly identifiable. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 21 Jan  2022, 08:53
The cowl and the Batmobile feel like darker updates of the 1966 TV show, giving a sense of simplicity that feels accessible. It's a subtle form of realism considering the concept of Batman is far from being real.

Burton understood Batman from his own innate love of weird loners who had bad childhoods. And he had the most visual flair. Nolan came with a love of crime drama. Snyder shared Burton's love of visuals, with a specific focus on heightened drama. Reeves does seem to be the biggest pure Batman fan of the lot, and we'll soon see how that translates to the big screen.

This track from the official soundtrack was released:

I personally think Giacchino is inferior to Elfman and Zimmer, but he's proving to be suitable for this film and also Batman. I like that he's providing something more traditional in terms of melody, and his main theme itself is instantly identifiable. Can't wait to hear the rest.

It sound pretty. Seems like theirs going to be a lot of heart in this movie.