"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 20 Oct  2021, 00:45
The Flash with Affleck/Keaton is giving all the fantasy I'll need for the time being. The Snyderverse having all the other heroes being present increases the fantasy element by default. I want there to be a serious tone with the movies, though. I think that's how things should be, with animation such as Brave and the Bold providing the lighter touch.
Serious and fantasy aren't mutually exclusive though. One thing I'm not looking forward to with this new film is a fresh round of revisionist "well, when you look back, those Tim Burton movies were just the campy TV show set at night" takes from cliquey critics. You can be dark, and take the material seriously, without being relentlessly serious, and without chasing the notion that there's any way for a guy in a bat costume stopping crime to be realistic.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 19 Oct  2021, 20:51
Quote from: zDBZ on Tue, 19 Oct  2021, 14:15
I guess I'll play the killjoy - I've barely followed the news for this film, but my first reaction to the trailer was "oh, look - a movie for people who think Nolan and Snyder didn't let realism and self-seriousness take enough of the fun out of this character." (And I don't mean bad jokes or comic relief by that - I mean embracing the fantasy of this character and his world and taking it all on their terms.)
It's all good. While I think it looks great, I can understand not liking certain things. I also wish they would go in more of the fantasy realm, but it is what it is.

Maybe you'll turn around on it?
To be honest - Batman's always been my favorite superhero, but I think it's more than time for adaptations to get put on pause for a few years. I'm burnt out on franchises altogether, but wave after wave of Batmedia in particular has diluted the impact of any new take on the character for me. But if the new film's good, more power to Matt Reeves.

Quote from: zDBZ on Wed, 20 Oct  2021, 12:38
To be honest - Batman's always been my favorite superhero, but I think it's more than time for adaptations to get put on pause for a few years. I'm burnt out on franchises altogether, but wave after wave of Batmedia in particular has diluted the impact of any new take on the character for me.
Understandable. But Batman is one of the most popular superheroes in the world. And definitely the most popular non-Marvel hero. He's the most bankable commodity in the WME empire so he's the one getting all the focus.

My hunch is that things probably won't change any time soon.

There's no reason for them to slow the train down: https://screenrant.com/batman-fatigue-not-real-dc-comic-sales-up/

I'm well past being worried about Burton critiques, and they mean little now as his universe is currently experiencing as resurgence. It's back in action regardless of what any detractors may say. If anything I've seen remarks of fond reflection about the era and anticipation of Keaton's return.

I really want Pattinson's Batman to be the darkest, meanest mongrel in the character's cinematic history. But the promise of a legitimate noir detective story is the biggest hook I can imagine as a fan. That's been on wishlists for a long time. But it's only ever been paid lip service. Not this time, hopefully.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 20 Oct  2021, 13:15But the promise of a legitimate noir detective story is the biggest hook I can imagine as a fan. That's been on wishlists for a long time. But it's only ever been paid lip service. Not this time, hopefully.
Couldn't agree more. Batman can fit into many genres. Crime noir is definitely one of them and a movie that embraces that genre with both arms will be original and refreshing just by showing up.

Honestly, I'd like to see Batman movies set firmly in other genres at some point. Monster/horror, for example.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 20 Oct  2021, 13:15

I really want Pattinson's Batman to be the darkest, meanest mongrel in the character's cinematic history. But the promise of a legitimate noir detective story is the biggest hook I can imagine as a fan. That's been on wishlists for a long time. But it's only ever been paid lip service. Not this time, hopefully.
Yeah, I wanted a movie to center on Batman, and lean more into the detective side of things, and from what we've heard, Pattinson is in the suit about 75% of the time, and he's on the ground doing detective work. Oh, and the action/fighting actually looks good. Win/win.

But again, zDBZ, please don't feel like you're not welcome here. I love hearing other points of views. It sucks you're not feeling it, but I would love to hear what you have to say. That kind of thing doesn't bother me. If you need to vent about things you don't like, vent away. Trust me, I understand. lol

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 18 Oct  2021, 02:34
Could very well be, as the themes line up with The Riddler: existential art, capturing the alienation and loneliness symptomatic of modern urban life.

In terms of intensity, I think Pattinson is going to leave the others for dead. The guy looks like he's barely slept and needs dark glasses because sunlight is alien to him. I don't think there's going to be much joking around with him. Just the mission. It's a great starting point, especially in terms of an ongoing relationship with Selina.

Seeing this, instantly makes me think of how Bruce Wayne was interpreted by  Lee Bermejo in the "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel" mini series. Where Bruce meets Lex for a chat in a public setting, wearing shades, and clearly disheveled. Passing it off as a result of too much partying the night before or something like that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 21 Oct  2021, 16:38
Seeing this, instantly makes me think of how Bruce Wayne was interpreted by  Lee Bermejo in the "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel" mini series. Where Bruce meets Lex for a chat in a public setting, wearing shades, and clearly disheveled. Passing it off as a result of too much partying the night before or something like that.
Very good pickup. At this point Pattinson Bruce's best bet may be simply staying away from the public eye as much as possible, because he's finding it difficult to switch off the Batman persona, thus raising more questions about who he is. I hope things don't lighten up too quickly, but it would be good to see this Bruce learn to do that a little easier, and perhaps integrate himself more into the community. I think that's where Selina's influence will be.

There's no reason for them to slow the train down: https://screenrant.com/batman-fatigue-not-real-dc-comic-sales-up/
No financial reason for Disney to stop live-action remakes either, but I'm still going to call them travesties of cinema ;D

Quote from: zDBZ on Fri, 22 Oct  2021, 18:32
No financial reason for Disney to stop live-action remakes either, but I'm still going to call them travesties of cinema ;D
If content is good I'm okay with an avalanche, but I'm not on board with it all. The Harley stuff is a waste of time. The main line of Batman comics don't interest me at the moment, nor does anything Jace Fox. I do quite like some of the things they're doing, though. The Detective has been rather fun. I need to catch up on the other issues, but Reptillian caught my attention for the Arkham Asylum styled art alone. B89 is on my radar for obvious reasons, and I liked Earth One Volume 3 and The Three Jokers.

We live in a society where DC and Marvel can scarcely financially afford a presence in San Diego anymore. Hence much cheaper online stuff like Fandome.

Management of DC and Marvel are trying lamf to just stay in business at this point (while talent seems determined to drive them out of business) and I can't fault them for sticking with what works and playing the hits as much as possible.

I don't think we should be surprised that safe stuff like comics based on Burton's Batman or Donner's Superman are getting pushed so heavily now. There was a time when DC fundamentally wouldn't have wanted to publish stuff like that. Because it's not their creation. Their talent would've found it demeaning to publish the further adventures of Burton's Batman when their own Batman was more interesting to them.

But obviously, those days are gone now. And I say let it burn.