"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
I brightened this shot up from the behind the scenes preview:

Looks like Batman standing next to Alfred, going down into a garage full of cars. The last Batman to have a fleet this impressive was Kilmer.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 17 Oct  2021, 00:59
Between Snyder and Reeves, this is exactly how Batman should be fighting in live action. This is the standard now. What I'm excited about is the fact we're getting a Batman movie, not a Bruce Wayne movie. The idea that every waking minute is spent thinking about the mission in a hyper obsessed way, to the point "I don't care what happens to me." Pattinson is going to shoot up my actor rankings very quickly indeed.
I think that's very clever too.  Because it gives the character somewhere to go for a sequel.

All I can say after that trailer is "Oh hell yes." I can't wait.

This Batman feels like Darth Vader charging through the hallway in Rogue One like an unstoppable monster. When iconic characters reboot there is always pressure to keep the legacy going, and in a satisfactory way. Reeves has absolutely gone above and beyond. I'm not worried about the future of Batman movies with this team. Nolan's trilogy feels like a launchpad for something greater.

Bat-Keaton and Baleman were both staggered by close-range handgun fire.

Battinson's tanking close-range rifle fire and he isn't even slowing his gait. I don't know what his armour's made of, but it looks like it's a step above anything we've seen before.

Also, does anyone else think the first shot of the trailer is a tribute to Edward Hopper's 1942 painting 'Nighthawks'?

Could very well be, as the themes line up with The Riddler: existential art, capturing the alienation and loneliness symptomatic of modern urban life.

In terms of intensity, I think Pattinson is going to leave the others for dead. The guy looks like he's barely slept and needs dark glasses because sunlight is alien to him. I don't think there's going to be much joking around with him. Just the mission. It's a great starting point, especially in terms of an ongoing relationship with Selina.

I guess I'll play the killjoy - I've barely followed the news for this film, but my first reaction to the trailer was "oh, look - a movie for people who think Nolan and Snyder didn't let realism and self-seriousness take enough of the fun out of this character." (And I don't mean bad jokes or comic relief by that - I mean embracing the fantasy of this character and his world and taking it all on their terms.)

Quote from: zDBZ on Tue, 19 Oct  2021, 14:15
I guess I'll play the killjoy - I've barely followed the news for this film, but my first reaction to the trailer was "oh, look - a movie for people who think Nolan and Snyder didn't let realism and self-seriousness take enough of the fun out of this character." (And I don't mean bad jokes or comic relief by that - I mean embracing the fantasy of this character and his world and taking it all on their terms.)
I think that's a fair criticism. My ideal version of Batman right now would be a live action version of the Dick Sprang Batman from the Fifties. I think the whole dark and gritty thing has been done quite well by now.

If it helps, a major contributor to my enthusiasm for this movie comes down to the production design and cinematography. A bit of Tim Burton, a bit of Kelley Jones, etc. I enjoy it on that level. It's either a new kind of aesthetic for Batman or, lacking that, something we haven't seen with Batman in a long time. Plus, it looks like everyone in this movie is in it to win it rather than just soak up a paycheck. And that counts for a lot in my book.

Quote from: zDBZ on Tue, 19 Oct  2021, 14:15
It's all good. While I think it looks great, I can understand not liking certain things. I also wish they would go in more of the fantasy realm, but it is what it is.

Maybe you'll turn around on it?

The Flash with Affleck/Keaton is giving all the fantasy I'll need for the time being. The Snyderverse having all the other heroes being present increases the fantasy element by default. I want there to be a serious tone with the movies, though. I think that's how things should be, with animation such as Brave and the Bold providing the lighter touch.