"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
And more. I like the lighting here. You get a really good look at the Batsuit.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 12:45
Some people are a bit confused, but it looks exactly like what was in the trailer, so I'm not surprised. Looks good to me
I'm not in the least bit surprised either. It's a hard departure from Jim Carrey's incarnation, and that would be the point. In fact, it's a hard departure from any prior incarnation of the Riddler. I'm not seeing that as a bad thing because I want the Zodiac factor amped up as much as possible. It's very easy to take the Riddler and make him as terrifying as the Joker in his own way.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 13:41
And more. I like the lighting here. You get a really good look at the Batsuit.

He's looking good.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 19 May  2021, 13:03
Wtf?
This is my reaction as well. At first I thought this was a picture of the Zodiac Killer.

I'm seeing a lot of that, but I don't get it....that's what he looked like in the trailer. What changed for some of you?

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  5 May  2021, 13:36
And lets not forget the comic Batmobile has gone through periods where it's just literally a sports car.

... And that's when Bats gets his wheels stolen.

With Riddler, he looks like a gimp merged with the Zodiac Killer. It's different that's for sure. Different being good, or bad will be entirely up to the reception the movie has. Hell, I remember first laying eyes on Tom Hardy's Bane, and thinking he literally looked like something straight out of Mortal Kombat that lacked any semblance whatsoever of the classic lucha libre mask Bane had always been incorporated with. That wasn't really something I considered a positive in my initial reaction, but eventually got accustomed to it. Now it's probably considered more or less the iconic look for Bane by most of the general public. For better or worse.

With this Riddler, I don't see this decidedly different interpretation overtaking the more classic Gorshin/Carrey Riddler (I'll throw in TAS Riddler for sure) aesthetic in the public consciousness since Riddler is a very well established Bat villain with the public (which was arguable with Bane), but it'll be very distinctive to what the Earth-2 Reevesverse is aiming for.

That's what matters most.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 21 May  2021, 02:58

With Riddler, he looks like a gimp merged with the Zodiac Killer. It's different that's for sure. Different being good, or bad will be entirely up to the reception the movie has. Hell, I remember first laying eyes on Tom Hardy's Bane, and thinking he literally looked like something straight out of Mortal Kombat that lacked any semblance whatsoever of the classic lucha libre mask Bane had always been incorporated with. That wasn't really something I considered a positive in my initial reaction, but eventually got accustomed to it. Now it's probably considered more or less the iconic look for Bane by most of the general public. For better or worse.

I would actually say that winter jacket and mercenary attire are more iconic to the general public. In the comics or games, he still rocks the luchador mask.

Fri, 21 May 2021, 16:03 #356 Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2021, 13:46 by Gotham Knight
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 21 May  2021, 02:58
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  5 May  2021, 13:36
And lets not forget the comic Batmobile has gone through periods where it's just literally a sports car.

... And that's when Bats gets his wheels stolen.

With this Riddler, I don't see this decidedly different interpretation overtaking the more classic Gorshin/Carrey Riddler (I'll throw in TAS Riddler for sure) aesthetic in the public consciousness since Riddler is a very well established Bat villain with the public (which was arguable with Bane), but it'll be very distinctive to what the Earth-2 Reevesverse is aiming for.

That's what matters most.

I think it is worth noting that one reason (among many I'm sure) for such a change and look for the character might be that this version of Riddler is not actually the man we know. It is entirely possible that this man isn't Edward Nygma, hence the full face mask and emphasis on the mystery. The mystery might be a hard sell to the audience if it just ends up being Eddie. I sense (and I could be wrong) that the Riddler is being reformatted to have a really personal connection to Batman. I think someone mentioned Hush as a possible amalgam and it makes sense to tie characters closer together. It is a typical movie trope that is a trope because it works. Comic book adaptations do it a lot, too. Batman as well. Jack Napier and the Demon's Head are a couple of examples. Heck even the Riddler in Batman Forever does this to a great extent. Nygma has a para social relationship with Bruce Wayne. The Batman might be aiming to for a more extensive reconfiguration, one that might not allow for the name Nygma except perhaps as an alias. 

I think it's because movies that are made in this style, what I'll the old style of super hero movies, where universes are finite, every 'big villain of the movie' has to have an arch-nemesis feel. They have to matter, and the easiest way for a villain to matter is to have a literal connection to the hero. In comics and in the MCU style, there is much less need for that because you have a perpetual serial. Villains can be much more expendable or get big by gaining traction in multiple appearances

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 21 May  2021, 13:55
I would actually say that winter jacket and mercenary attire are more iconic to the general public. In the comics or games, he still rocks the luchador mask.

Possibly. Although it sure seems like Bane cosplayers typically go with the Hardy mask over the classic lucha mask 9 times out of 10 at conventions. I would also gage that it's highly likely anyone going as Bane for Halloween is probably going with the Hardy mask over anything remotely like the comic book Bane mask. It's kinda one of those things where the different approach to the look is outside the norm, until it becomes the norm. The Joker, for instance, was 99% of the time depicted fairly clean cut and much like how he was for decades prior to 2008. Post-The Dark Knight, cosplayers and fan art oftentimes had the Joker decidedly influenced by Ledger's Joker where the makeup was messy, longer hair, scars, overall generally unkempt appearance ect ect. Something of which still prevails to this day (Leto's Knightmare Joker decidedly being more Ledgery in appearance).

Gotham Knight: I can see how the Reeves Riddler might not ultimately be revealed as the Edward from the comic books, but that's a risky Mandarin/Trevor move by Reeves if that actually proves to be the case here. However, one that's not without precedent as you say. I still recall reading erroneous rumors about Nolan's Batman back in the day, in that Nolan was going to bypass Harvey Dent appearing, and have Rachel Dawes become a version of Two-Face following Batman Begins. Well, that's one way of changing things up a bit, and that sort of character reconfiguration may have worked well enough within a finite set of films, but how well received something like that would have been is anyone's guess. Personally, I can't imagine it would have gone over any better than the whole Mandarin/Trevor debacle. Especially so with Two-Face being a much more known villain to the public than whatever the Mandarin had ever experienced prior to his (sorta) inclusion with Iron Man 3.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 21 May  2021, 16:03
I think it is worth noting that one reason (among many I'm sure) for such a change and look for the character might be that this version of Riddler is not actually the man we know. It is entirely possible that this man isn't Edward Nygma, hence the full face mask and emphasis on the mystery. The mystery might be a hard sell to the audience if it just ends up being Eddie. I sense (and I could be wrong) that the Riddler is being reformatted to have a really personal connection to Batman.
Even if he's not a known family friend, a connection to the Wayne's seems very likely. Perhaps Bruce's father was a Court of Owls member, and the high profile people Nashton kills are associates. Those associates could have directly or indirectly caused serious pain to Nashton's family. As for the mask, I think the mouth area could be a deliberate design choice in terms of people telling lies, which is what he's obsessed about here. Making a point of undoing those mouth straps before he speaks to people could be interesting.

Looks like his gauntlets are for his grapple gun.