"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 26 Nov  2020, 18:35
Reeves seems to be going to great lengths to ensure a very specific identity for Gotham City in this film. He's shot location footage in three different countries, and now he's filming additional scenes on a studio lot. The final combination of these elements is going to be quite unique. I expect we're in for something special.
At this point, I'm just hoping that somebody from WB doesn't just throw in the towel. This movie is quickly becoming the most interesting movie that we may never see. Pandemics, lockdowns, production starts-stops, etc. This is starting to remind of Gilliam's first attempt at The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

They should complete filming early next year. After the initial shutdown, it hasn't been shut down again.

Gotham could resemble Noel quite a bit with the snow:

Just saying that the movie theater industry is circling the drain. It's not crazy to suggest that WB might be having second thoughts about this film.

True, true...but I think we'll get to see the movie.

As for any sequels, I'm on the Robin Train.

This opinion piece says it pretty well: https://www.gamesradar.com/the-batman-robin-trilogy-robert-pattinson/#comment-jump

Nolan had John Blake, hinting at a future crime fighting career we don't see.
Snyder had the magnificent Robin suit cameo. But it was just that: a cameo.

I think it's time to bring back a living, breathing COSTUMED Robin.

This is a year two Batman, so the time is ripe for something akin to Dark Victory in the sequel/s, especially if they have a time jump of two or three years. I think Dark Victory style approach would suit this Pattinson atmosphere nicely. Keep the detective stories, add in elements of Dick's origin with the circus, and you're set. Robin would especially make sense if those Alfred rumors eventuate.

Oh, and Azrael...this signature of yours is awesome.

With Affleck and now Pattinson, the franchise has accumulated an impressive back catalogue of actors now. I'm ambivalent about Clooney, but generally, they haven't really put a foot wrong with any of the lead actors.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 12:05I think it's time to bring back a living, breathing COSTUMED Robin.

Seriously, this is long overdue. It's now been over 25 years since a filmmaker tackled Robin's origin story in a live action theatrical movie. Since then the tale has been revisited in comics, games and animated formats, but no one's had the nerve to adapt it in a live action film. The story of how Batman and Robin met is one of the greatest chapters in the entire mythology. If the rumours are true about the Court of Owls appearing in Reeves' trilogy, then their connection to Haly's Circus would offer a great entry point for the Robin storyline.

Whatever happens, I've got confidence in Matt Reeves. He knows what he's doing and seems to be thinking along a similar path to many of us fans. I expect there's a good chance Robin will return.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 12:05Oh, and Azrael...this signature of yours is awesome.

With Affleck and now Pattinson, the franchise has accumulated an impressive back catalogue of actors now. I'm ambivalent about Clooney, but generally, they haven't really put a foot wrong with any of the lead actors.

Azrael's always been good at creating manips and digital art. Adding Clooney to that banner would have offset its symmetry, so I think he made the right decision in leaving him out.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 12:05
Oh, and Azrael...this signature of yours is awesome.

Thanks, Dark Knight! Glad you like this collage. Thought about including Clooney, couldn't fit him anywhere.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 16:04

Azrael's always been good at creating manips and digital art. Adding Clooney to that banner would have offset its symmetry, so I think he made the right decision in leaving him out.

Thanks for your words, Silver Nemesis! You said it better than I could, another face (Clooney) would break the symmetry, and a certain "mood" I wanted.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 16:04
Seriously, this is long overdue. It's now been over 25 years since a filmmaker tackled Robin's origin story in a live action theatrical movie. Since then the tale has been revisited in comics, games and animated formats, but no one's had the nerve to adapt it in a live action film. The story of how Batman and Robin met is one of the greatest chapters in the entire mythology. If the rumours are true about the Court of Owls appearing in Reeves' trilogy, then their connection to Haly's Circus would offer a great entry point for the Robin storyline.

Whatever happens, I've got confidence in Matt Reeves. He knows what he's doing and seems to be thinking along a similar path to many of us fans. I expect there's a good chance Robin will return.
Long overdue, and I'm optimistic his time will come. There was a casting call for circus performers, so it's possible a seed is being planted. The Court of Owls allows this universe a ton of different plot trajectories/points of difference.

Robin would work very well with Battinson's projected arc. Learning the ropes and establishing his own career. And then teaching someone else the ropes, imparting the lessons he has learned along the way. It would be a sound way to touch upon Batman's origins without explicitly showing them in grand detail.

They could instead focus on Dick's family, and Bruce simply relates to that pain. No different to Keaton's "his parents. I hope he finds them" comment in Returns.

Bermejo did a great Year One style poster for The Batman. He makes the suit look great here.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 30 Jan  2021, 17:27
Bermejo did a great Year One style poster for The Batman. He makes the suit look great here.

Bermejo is always welcome, esp when it comes to anything Batman-related. Great poster.

He's one of the best artists working today.

The movie should wrap soon and chances are good we'll get some photos, or some other publicity, to mark the occasion. I'm wanting to see how they approach Wayne Manor and Alfred, so something there would be my hope.