"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 13:06
Found this closer shot of the new Batcycle.

I prefer it the Batpod. It has a more obvious bat motif, for one. But it has a boutique, Gotham By Gaslight type vibe that I find appealing.

The single light on the front definitely reminds me of the motorcycle from the Gotham by Gaslight animated film.

It also reminds me of the bike Batman rode at the beginning of The Court of Owls storyline.

Speaking of motorbikes, Colin Farrell has been spotted riding one on location in Chicago. Eyewitnesses say he was filming a scene where Penguin pursues Catwoman.

Quote from: Azrael on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 17:30
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 12:38

Nosferatu?

Or perhaps Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot?

Incidentally, I like your new avatar, Azrael. Very seasonal.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 18 Oct  2020, 13:44
Quote from: Azrael on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 17:30
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 12:38

Nosferatu?

Or perhaps Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot?

Yeah, likely. But his design is maybe inspired by Graf Orlok, right? :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 18 Oct  2020, 13:44
Incidentally, I like your new avatar, Azrael. Very seasonal.

Thanks! One of the all time favourite Tim Burton films, and one of the first that come up this time of the year.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 21 Oct  2020, 23:57
Interesting stuff

Good video. The Superman and Wonder Woman cosplays caught me off guard but I don't think it changes much in the short term. The focus right now is a darker, realistic vibe. Generally speaking I'm a big fan of Easter eggs, and Zack Snyder is the master at them.

Tapping into the mythology makes the world feel lived in, and IMO it will be one of Snyder's biggest legacies to Batman and Superman movies. They exist as a visual treat but also serve as possible groundwork for the future. So with this Halloween night cosplay it suggests Superman and Wonder Woman are OUT THERE...but we won't see them yet. The tone of the Reeves universe could change if it goes beyond three films. They did a similar thing with The Batman (2004) cartoon series.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 24 Oct  2020, 12:30So with this Halloween night cosplay it suggests Superman and Wonder Woman are OUT THERE...but we won't see them yet.
Interesting. See, I went the other way with that. Based on exactly nothing, I assumed that other DC characters don't exist as real people in the Reevesverse, a la Nolan. I thought that the costume party thing was an Easter egg (like the Superman effigy in Watchmen) or perhaps that other DC characters exist as meta-fiction or something. The 1990 Flash TV show implied that Superman, Batman and other characters were meta-fiction in that universe and, in retrospect, I enjoy that.

And frankly, I'd be fine with that approach here. Affleck's Batman exists in a shared universe so that's covered. I rather like the idea of the Reeves Batman living in his own designated space, separate from everyone else.

But you could be right and maybe I'm misreading this.

A look at the exterior of the batcave set:

ScreenRant sums it up here so I'll just quote them:

QuoteThis look at the outside the Batcave seems to contradict a previous theory about what the Batcave would look like in The Batman. Warner Bros previously released a few images and a short trailer for The Batman at DC FanDome to keep fans interested, and every frame has been picked apart for clues. Previous teasers and set photos have shown an underground train depot, which viewers had assumed was the new Batcave. But the tree-covered cliffs seen in these photos imply that the Batcave is actually a naturally occurring cave, not a subway station.

However, it is entirely possible that The Batman's Batcave could actually be both. Gotham is a unique fictional city, and it wouldn't be impossible for the movie's creators to imagine a subway station built into a naturally occurring cave.

Bunch of other set photos here, including an ice rink and buildings:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8981479/The-Batman-crew-build-sprawling-set-including-Batcave-recreate-Gotham-City.html

Among others, I just loved this, can't wait to see how it actually looks in the film. It's a bit like the plan of a circular temple.

So are they doing sets because of Covid? I thought they were doing on-location shooting, but I guess they're switching to sets?

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 25 Nov  2020, 23:05
So are they doing sets because of Covid? I thought they were doing on-location shooting, but I guess they're switching to sets?
From memory, this point on it's mostly set based. Prior filmed on-location content would remain.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever this will be the best Gotham City since B89.

Reeves seems to be going to great lengths to ensure a very specific identity for Gotham City in this film. He's shot location footage in three different countries, and now he's filming additional scenes on a studio lot. The final combination of these elements is going to be quite unique. I expect we're in for something special.