"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Travesty and myself know this rumor doesn't make sense because we have the first two seats reserved at the front of The Pattinson Train. Based on the response to the first trailer, the film is on the right track.

Who knows, there could be tension on set? But that's pure conjecture and even if true it could actually improve the final product, which is meant to be dark and brooding.

And something else:

If they go the Teltale route of the Waynes having a dirty past I'm okay with that. It's new and foreign to the mythos, but if anything I argue it could be even more appropriate for the character in the darker interpretations. Why?

To a small child, your parents are perfect, big people and you look up to them.
Adulthood provides context.
A questionable past gives a grey area rather than golden light.
Bruce is his own man and makes his own decisions, and their murder still compelled him to suit up.

Napier killing the Waynes. The Penguin being a sewer dweller. It's the multiverse and anything is fair game.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri,  9 Oct  2020, 11:07
On a side note: if I offended anybody about talking about Robert Pattinson's size and weight, let me be this first to thoroughly apologize. I, in no way, intended to bodyshame anybody, I once again again apologize for any insensitivities brought on about talking about the news/rumors about Pattinson. And I also apologize about my apologies, and want to make it clear how sorry I am about apologizing. Hope to make that clear that I'm not being super duper insensitive. #Apologies
A good first step. But you're going to have to make this apology every day otherwise it won't count.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  9 Oct  2020, 23:47
Travesty and myself know this rumor doesn't make sense because we have the first two seats reserved at the front of The Pattinson Train.
Yes, I'm full steam ahead on The Pattinson Train.

QuoteWho knows, there could be tension on set? But that's pure conjecture and even if true it could actually improve the final product, which is meant to be dark and brooding.
Apparently it's a mix of Covid stuff and storms in the UK.

QuoteA good first step. But you're going to have to make this apology every day otherwise it won't count.
This is now the burden I bare.  :D

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 10 Oct  2020, 20:38
Yes, I'm full steam ahead on The Pattinson Train.
This Train is an excellent opportunity to flesh out Batman's early years.

A recent opinion piece makes some good points, such as:

What happens when a simple purse snatcher gets his back broken by Batman in a fit of rage?
Or a still-learning hero gets a hunch wrong, and attacks the wrong person?

In terms of an origin story, it makes total sense to show the trials and tribulations the hero endures. A Batman who learns on the job, makes mistakes and adapts. Batman Begins didn't really show that. It has the origin story prologue, but once he suits up he's more or less the final product.

In my opinion, Snyder is the only director who adequately communicated how people felt about Batman and his methods. Reeves can do this, but in reverse: a younger Batman off the chain instead of an older one. So much thematic potential with this movie.

https://screenrant.com/batman-theory-pattinson-year-2-failing-gotham-riddler/

Thoughts about the new set photos:

We have a very handsome and intense Bruce Wayne. I see him being one of the best.

The Penguin looks just about perfect as a mobster. Colin's transformation is amazing.
I wasn't keen on Kravitz but she looks great here in this attire and wig. 

Amalgamating Liverpool, Glasgow and Chicago will be a master stroke.
Riddler supporters are at the funeral protesting. Really good to see him being treated as a serious villain with influence.

I liked how Snyder had BruceFleck driving a black Aston Martin in BvS, and I'm glad Reeves has gone the same route with his vehicle selection. It's very cool. They're more refined versions of their rugged Batmobiles, and a more brazen expressions of who Bruce is, opposed to the Lamborghinis in TDK and TDK Rises.

Thu, 15 Oct 2020, 13:47 #305 Last Edit: Thu, 15 Oct 2020, 13:51 by Silver Nemesis
It's strange for me to see St George's Hall as Gotham City. I used to walk past it every day, and I was inside it just last year. It has some beautiful interiors that would make great filming locations.

St George's Hall is also situated about three or four minute's walk from the comic book store where, long ago, I bought my copy of The Dark Knight Returns. It's also right next to Lime Street railway station, which would have made it very easy for me to go along and watch the filming. Unfortunately the day they resumed the shoot happened to be the exact same day the government announced the new Tier 3 lockdown measures, and Liverpool just happens to be the number one hotspot for COVID-19 infections right now. Typical. ::)

Oh well. Once the film's out on DVD, and these lockdowns are a thing of the past, I'll take my camera along and do a site feature documenting the filming locations and comparing how they look in real life against how they appear in the movie. If they shoot the sequels in Liverpool, as I'm hoping they will, then I'll definitely be there to watch.

Yesterday Batman was seen preparing to leap from the top of the Liver Building.

Obviously they'll have to digitally remove the liver birds (replace them with gargoyles perhaps?), but this shot is going to look amazing when they've added a midnight sky to the background. I wonder if this means Pattinson's Batman will have a cape glider.

Set photos have revealed he has a gun holstered to his leg.

The most likely explanation is that it's his grapple gun. The TDKR Batman also carried his spear gun in a leg holster.

Or it could be a nod to the fact the film takes place during Year Two, in which case it might be Joe Chill's gun.

Comic accurate or not, I really don't like that Batsuit.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 15 Oct  2020, 13:47
Obviously they'll have to digitally remove the liver birds (replace them with gargoyles perhaps?), but this shot is going to look amazing when they've added a midnight sky to the background. I wonder if this means Pattinson's Batman will have a cape glider.

The location work has been getting a lot of local media attention where I live over the past few days. It looks like there won't be any need to digitally alter the sky, since they shot the actual scene at night. The daytime footage must have been a rehearsal before it got dark.

Here's what it looked like at night.

I think the delay in filming will ultimately work to the film's advantage in terms of seasonal ambience. The Glasgow footage was shot in winter, with everything looking very cold and grey. Had they filmed in Liverpool during late March, as originally intended, then it would have been brighter and more spring-like. Instead it's going to have a similar October vibe to the Descent into Mystery scene from the 1989 film, with dry leaves blowing through the streets and warm breath visible on the cold night air. Batman 89 and Batman Forever both took place around Halloween, but this could be the first Batman film to convey a truly strong Halloween atmosphere.

On a related note, extras have been spotted wearing costumes for what appears to be a Halloween party scene shot at night in the city centre.

Thanks for the photos, Silver.

Looks like gliding will be even more more real world than Nolan with the use of a wingsuit, at least at this early point in Batman's career. My bet is they're getting closeups and the rest of the jump will be done via CGI. Can't see why they'd have him in this attire otherwise.

This movie seems to be Battinson's first big test from a supervillain perspective, and he's still evolving in terms of tactics. This jumping stuff might be brand new to him. As such I'm actually envisioning a scene like Peter's first swing in Spider-Man (2002). Batman could take the suit off after the glide and simply continue about his business. A brave choice from Reeves regardless. He's found his niche and he's going all in.

Found this closer shot of the new Batcycle.

I prefer it the Batpod. It has a more obvious bat motif, for one. But it has a boutique, Gotham By Gaslight type vibe that I find appealing.

Yeah, I love they choose locations which look interesting. If they want to keep it real and grounded, the real world (especially Britain which seem convenient for filming) if full of ornate architecture, neoclassical, baroque, gothic revival etc. that could pose as the Gotham City some of us have in our heads, not just boring square structures and glass facades. In Avengers: Infinity War there's a scene shot in Edinburgh which looks more Gotham than half of TDK.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Oct  2020, 12:38

Nosferatu?