"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Here's my guess at deconstructing this scene. Batman inside a GCPD lockup surrounded by Police. He spots a corrupt officer, or someone he has apprehended, and charges through the crowd to get at them.

Gordon intervenes, pushes Batman against the wall and demands he calm down.

I also like this shot - reminiscent of the Begins stairwell scene, but Batman going up and not down.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 01:06
Official link

This looks incredible! I'm especially digging the detective theme in this trailer. We've got Batman visiting crime scenes, examining clues, liaising with Gordon, all of which points towards a proper detective narrative. Bring it on!

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 01:55But I'm not going to lie, it is giving me a Netflix Daredevil vibe, but that's a great thing. I love that show, so no complaints there.

I've seen a lot of comments saying this, and I totally agree. The batsuit, cinematography, lighting, music choice (Nirvana also featured in The Defenders trailer) and overall tone are very reminiscent of Daredevil. They look like they could easily exist in the same universe.

It even looks like Bruce might have an early 'vigilante' suit before he gets his classic costume, just like Matt did.

The scene of Batman pummelling that thug is pure Matt Murdock; Bruce was 'letting the devil out' there. Notice that when Reeves was discussing the Penguin during the panel he said "Oz is not yet the kingpin that he's going to become". Obviously the moniker of 'kingpin' is not exclusive to Wilson Fisk, but it is most strongly associated with that character within the superhero genre. For a while now I've suspected that Daredevil – which I rate as the best superhero adaptation of the previous decade – was going to be a major influence on Reeves, and this trailer further fuels that assumption. As you say, that can only be a good thing.

Presumably Reeves is also drawing from the same cinematic influences as the makers of the Daredevil series: Martin Scorsese films, 1970s crime movies, Korean and Indonesian action cinema. The Se7en vibe is unmistakable too. This is going to be a lot more grounded than most other Batman films, and I think we're going to see Pattinson's Bruce struggle, suffer and get injured more than his predecessors did. I wonder if they'll go full R or keep it PG-13. Either way, I have faith in Reeves to deliver something special. He's been saying all the right things since day one, and so far the movie is coming together nicely.

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 05:20
Screen cap of Colin Ferrell's Penguin.

If that is Farrell, then wow. He's unrecognisable. So much so that I'm wondering if there's digital trickery involved. Or is it all practical makeup effects?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 10:23I also like this shot - reminiscent of the Begins stairwell scene, but Batman going up and not down.

This shot caught my eye as well. Following Nolan's example, it looks like Reeves is using practical effects and real stunt work as much as possible. That makes a big difference when depicting more grounded characters like Batman. I'm hoping they'll also take this approach for Keaton's version, at least insofar as his advancing years will allow.

Do you guys like that this Batman actually puts makeup on around his eyes? In the other films that's just a theatrical effect for the audience.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 19:06
Do you guys like that this Batman actually puts makeup on around his eyes? In the other films that's just a theatrical effect for the audience.
I can go with it either way, but I like it here. He looks good with the motorcycle helmet, and in the cave after he takes the cowl off. He kinda looks like The Winter Soldier, but I like it.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 21:47
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 19:06
I can go with it either way, but I like it here. He looks good with the motorcycle helmet, and in the cave after he takes the cowl off. He kinda looks like The Winter Soldier, but I like it.
I like it too. I think it plays with what Reeves is saying about touching upon past incarnations in terms of familiarity of concept, while also doing new things. Which, believe it or not, was something someone said to me straight after viewing the trailer: "this FEELS like it's doing something new."

The official title font is very reminiscent of JOKER, which I think is deliberate and an indication of what type of film we'll get. I don't think it'll be R rated but the atmosphere will be brooding and claustrophobic. Batman bashes that goon in a brutal way but it's not graphic, which could be the template for the action overall.

There's talk that perhaps Battinson starts out brutal, and manages to become more of a hero in terms of the public's perception of him. Which would invert Batfleck, who became angrier and more brutal in his later years, only to see the light afterwards and change his ways.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Good find, Joker.

The Pattinson Train is now gathering momentum. It's currently the third most upvoted trailer in Reddit history, and has had 22.5 million views so far. That's impressive any way you slice it.

Other comments:
One of the cards Riddler sends features an owl. Integrating the Court of Owls into Gotham's history would be excellent. I hope it happens.
Robert's glare is very focused, and I daresay the stongest from any Bruce actor yet. It's Sith Lord-esque.
Batman being shot in the chest - the emblem being Joe Chill's gun is still a possibility, IMO. Could serve the same function as TDK Returns' yellow oval. 

And I believe this to be a successful merge of a real world and superhero.

This was a good breakdown with potential spoilers, so beware if you're trying to go on blind, but nothing too crazy. Also, it shows who Peter Sarsgaard is, and where he was in the trailer, which was something I didn't notice.

Another catch in the trailer. Also, I didn't know Batman was in cuffs within the GCPD