"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
For some reason, Ray Fisher believes Ben Affleck returning to the cape and cowl is possible, and implies Cavill is still committed to playing Superman.

It's my understanding that it's going to be a younger take on Batman. So that's not to say that our older version of Batman can't show back up.

You know, I loved working with both of them. I haven't spoken to them specifically about what the deal is. First and foremost I'm hoping that everybody is happy and content. That's my major thing.

Source: https://www.inverse.com/article/52934-justice-league-2-cyborg-actor-says-ben-affleck-s-batman-could-return

Fisher seems like a really nice guy, and I admire his support for Zack Snyder. But I see this as wishful thinking on his part. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets screwed over by Warner Butchers.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Been watching BvS clips to reflect on Affleck, and boy, the film really was dynamite.

The action is awesome, but the dialogue and characterization is what hooks me in.

The scene with Bruce brooding in the Manor ruins, contemplating his coming fight with Superman. "They were hunters."
The batcave conversation with Alfred where among other things he says "that son of a bitch brought the war to us."
The opening scene where he says "we're criminals Alfred, we've always been criminals."
His meeting with Diana at the event, "you don't know me, but I've known a few women like you."
The whole meeting with Clark where he pokes fun at freaks dressed like clowns.

I'm confident enough to say BvS Affleck is my number one cinematic incarnation of Batman. Thank God Snyder was able to even get this film made, just as Burton was able to get Batman Returns made.

I guess I'm going to bump this, since we're getting leaked pics from location shooting, and I don't think we need to relegate the talking in the Penguin thread, lol.

So anyways, looks like Pattinson is on a bike, and it looks like an influence from Zero Year.

I had seen conjecture a murder had taken place and Penguin was being questioned, with perhaps Bruce undercover on the bike trying to get access to the crime scene, or simply checking out what's going on. I like the concept of a Bruce outside in daylight hours in any case, showing the war always goes on. I'm liking the filming location they've chosen, too. It seems to have moody character.

After getting heavy TDK Returns vibes in recent films (TDK Rises and BvS), a more prevalent influence of modern material is appealing to me. Scott Snyder, Earth One, Telltale, the Arkham games and whatever else. Mixed in with the general structure of The Long Halloween (a murder mystery involving a bunch of villains). The above comparison indeed does bring Zero Year to mind, sans the cape and cowl.

I'm hoping a batsuit reveal isn't too far away.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  7 Jan  2020, 05:41
I had seen conjecture a murder had taken place and Penguin was being questioned, with perhaps Bruce undercover on the bike trying to get access to the crime scene, or simply checking out what's going on. I like the concept of a Bruce outside in daylight hours in any case, showing the war always goes on. I'm liking the filming location they've chosen, too. It seems to have moody character.

After getting heavy TDK Returns vibes in recent films (TDK Rises and BvS), a more prevalent influence of modern material is appealing to me. Scott Snyder, Earth One, Telltale, the Arkham games and whatever else. Mixed in with the general structure of The Long Halloween (a murder mystery involving a bunch of villains). The above comparison indeed does bring Zero Year to mind, sans the cape and cowl.

I'm hoping a batsuit reveal isn't too far away.
I'm beginning to wonder if this won't be one of those "Don't show the hero in full uniform until near the end" types of things.

That's not exactly an original idea. But it is a surprisingly original idea for a Batman film.

I don't believe that will be the case. I think the Bruce Wayne/Batman dynamic will be similar to the Telltale games, where he must juggle the two personas and the mission is full time. There are many villains but I foresee the story being driven from Bruce's shoulders, with Batman Begins being the closest example. Reeves has said as much. Batman is already established in this film by the time it starts.

I really want to stress this: reflecting the times with the use of modern material is the best thing they could be doing right now. And that modern material is of good quality and in my opinion enjoyed by most fans. Nostalgia creates stagnation and repetition, as the Superman and Star Wars franchises know all too well. Hesitation to push forward is the death knell of any brand as new memories are not created. You're just mimicking memories that went before.

There is great skill in doing the same thing but differently, and the filmmakers have help in that regard. A whole fleet of new Batman games and comics are there, and they should be tapped in to, otherwise the movies skip a generation. Getting these elements on the big screen confirms them in the public consciousness.

Well this is depressing.

On Sunday someone showed me an advertisement asking for extras to appear in a big Hollywood movie that's filming in Liverpool in late March, and my immediate thought was that it might be The Batman. I'm not based in Liverpool, but I live close enough that I could've done it. Except I've got jury duty in the second half of March. I've already had it deferred once due to a combination of root canal surgery and a close relative dying last month, and I can't get it deferred again. Then I see this: https://batman-on-film.com/10643/the-batman-liverpool-shoot-details-emerge/

I'm pretty sure this is the movie the advert was referring to. Sadly the shoot coincides with the first week of my jury duty, otherwise I'd have been able to go along and watch them film. :( One of my cousins has applied to be an extra, so maybe I'll be able to get some insider info from him. Still, I'm disappointed I can't go myself.

The one time they're shooting a Batman movie in my neck of the woods, and it happens to coincide with the fortnight I'm summoned to do jury duty. What're the odds?

I often get eliminated from jury duty by announcing my hatred of and loathing for lawyers. It's not ironic and it's not done to amuse. It's a sincere expression of my personal opinion which could play heavily into my selection for any jury.

Almost backfired one time when a judge apparently liked the cut of my jib and admired my rather negative attitude. So he summoned me into his chambers and offered me a job working for him. How do you tell a guy who just listened to you insult his entire profession that you're not interested in working for him?

As to missing out on the shoot, I understand the cachet of a Batman fan being an extra in a Batman movie. That might be enough to justify the job for a lot of people. But consider: extras get crap pay, work long hours and "exceedingly dull work" doesn't even begin to describe it. I imagine that since The Batman is a foreign production working in your country, your film industry's rules most likely prevail. You probably know more about being an extra than I do. But here in the States, it's not very much fun.

Point being that maybe you got off light.

Then again, you may also have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. But let's try to look at the bright side, yes? :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 28 Feb  2020, 15:42
Well this is depressing.

On Sunday someone showed me an advertisement asking for extras to appear in a big Hollywood movie that's filming in Liverpool in late March, and my immediate thought was that it might be The Batman. I'm not based in Liverpool, but I live close enough that I could've done it. Except I've got jury duty in the second half of March. I've already had it deferred once due to a combination of root canal surgery and a close relative dying last month, and I can't get it deferred again. Then I see this: https://batman-on-film.com/10643/the-batman-liverpool-shoot-details-emerge/

I'm pretty sure this is the movie the advert was referring to. Sadly the shoot coincides with the first week of my jury duty, otherwise I'd have been able to go along and watch them film. :( One of my cousins has applied to be an extra, so maybe I'll be able to get some insider info from him. Still, I'm disappointed I can't go myself.

The one time they're shooting a Batman movie in my neck of the woods, and it happens to coincide with the fortnight I'm summoned to do jury duty. What're the odds?
Well, this sucks. I remember last year I had tickets booked to see The Matrix for the 20th anniversary. Had been anticipating it for months, and the screening was after work. And guess what? About an hour before home time I get tapped on the shoulder, "looks like you'll have to stay back late tonight." I couldn't believe it, and my anger levels were insane. I wanted to kill everyone in the room.

But I decided my job was more important and longer term than one night and a movie. Thankfully I got out just in time and saw the movie. But I can understand your frustration here, Silver. It's rotten luck that's hard to believe, but this stuff happens. In the meantime, ponder all the ways you could get out of it. It does seem possible the Batmobile will appear on the streets soon. And I do hope Robin plays a part in the overall film. The talk of a circus gives me that hope.

I'm actually quite looking forward to doing jury duty. Everyone I know who's done it says it was an enjoyable experience, similar to going to the theatre. Just so long as the case in question isn't too horrible or the evidence too disturbing (e.g. a child abuse case). I've got several lawyers in my family. My own father is a judge and QC, and I almost became a barrister myself at one point. I was accepted to law school but ended up cancelling my place to pursue a different career path. But I've always been a fan of courtroom dramas in literature, film and television, so it should make for an interesting experience.

It's just a pity the timing is so poor. I don't think I would have applied to be an extra in The Batman, as I've no interest in acting, but I might have taken the train to Liverpool to watch them filming at night. Perhaps I still will. I used to hang around in Liverpool comic book stores a lot when I was a teen. I bought my copy of The Dark Knight Returns there. And I remember a friend of mine, who was also an aficionado of the medium, once saying that he thought Liverpool was the real Gotham (as least as far as North West England is concerned). Now it really will be Gotham in the new film, along with Glasgow and London.

Aside from Nolan using London for a few scenes in his trilogy, this is the first time a Batman movie has primarily used British cities to stand in for Gotham. It's going to be interesting seeing how that shapes the visual character of the finished product.

Here are some more location pics that have cropped up online in the past few weeks.

This next image allegedly shows one of the Riddler's murder victims. It might be a bit spoilerish, so if you don't want to see it then don't scroll down.