"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/1090772636206952448

And just like that, I've lost complete interest in the DCEU.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 01:41
Well, Affleck took to twitter, and told everyone he's stepping down. He's officially out.
Deep down we all knew this was coming. I did. So this isn't a shock.  As Batman fans we should be used to this, even though it's still disappointing. Keaton did two films, and Kilmer one. So Affleck joins Keaton (let's face it, SS is barely even a cameo). I would have loved another film or two from him, but that's not happening. BvS cements his legacy for me, in the same way B89 single handedly secures Keaton's.

I suppose the silver lining in this is that the next movie can exist on its own terms without a necessary tie to Batman's arc of redemption under Affleck. There won't be that lingering question in the back of all our minds about connective tissue between a solo Affleck movie and the DCEU. The new movie can simply BE.

Apparently this will be a younger Batman. For better or for worse. But there are comic book influences and aesthetics which haven't really been explored on film before and what we have here is a golden opportunity for something new. A Neal Adams type of iconic crusading Batman, humanistic to the core and a cape that stretches all the way across Manhattan. Or an early Bob Kane urban commando who contends with vampires and monster men. Or, go with me here, a fun and light Dick Sprang Batman who waves hello to passersby from the Batmobile on his way to another meeting with Commissioner Gordon.

I'm to the point where I don't trust Hollywood with just about anything anymore. But I do want good things for the Reeves film. Here's hoping.

Indeed. I've gone through this in my head for a long time now, and I'm at peace. I imagine Affleck is too. The franchise goes on. 2021 gives decent breathing room for the audience, the replacement and the studio to get things in order. I'm hoping for a detective style Batman (using a flashlight ala BTAS) with the same physicality of Affleck. Reeves referred to a rogues gallery appearing too, which sounds appealing.

Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 11:39 #184 Last Edit: Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 12:19 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 04:54
I'm to the point where I don't trust Hollywood with just about anything anymore.

Agreed.

Hollywood has been on borrowed time for a while now, with its unoriginal reboots and remakes, political propaganda and virtue signalling. Let's face it, this has been going for years, even if they've become more aggressive with their agenda nowadays. Apart from John Wick 3, nothing else right now or in the coming years excites me at all. (And yes, I know it sounds a little rich of me to complain about reboots, but I was genuinely curious to see what Snyder would bring to the table, despite my initial skepticism with his take on Superman.)

But this is made even worse with Warner Butchers' mishandling of the DCEU to satisfy hypocritical detractors looking to make news out of nothing. And don't get me started about their lying over Justice League's production again. A lot of fans have petitioned and pleaded to get the real version of Justice League released, with encouragement and support by Jay Oliva who worked on the film. And what do we get? We get Ben Affleck leaving, that weirdo James Gunn getting involved in Suicide Squad and doubts over Henry Cavill's future as Superman (and I heard Amy Adams has expressed uncertainty if her role as Lois will continue). And whatever Snyder had originally planned for post-JL1 was scrapped. Instead of regaining goodwill they lost with the fans, they keep adding more insult to injury.

https://dccomicsnews.com/2018/05/26/snyders-original-5-film-plan-was-meant-to-resolve-our-heroes-story-arcs/?fbclid=IwAR317yrW_pDVnL0iomeXRpEQw0X3Fq8mfam7oawxN3cC5m2IR0MhTwxMoK4

I have no tolerance for that joke of a movie studio anymore. I still haven't seen Aquaman, and most likely, I never will. Likewise, I have no interest in anything Matt Reeves does for his Batman movie. As much as I'm a fan of the character, I just can't see myself supporting anything WB does on film. I realise they're a typically amoral movie studio looking to make money in that cesspool of an industry, but I don't have to tolerate their nonsense. There's no doubt the DCEU's current situation exists because brainded fanboys and shills made sure to run the narrative alive of 'Nolan gets Batman", "MCU is the only one good at a shared universe", by magnifying the flaws of the DCEU while ignoring their beloved franchises' own faults. But the studio pandering to these lowlifes is the final straw.

You might say time heals wounds, and I say bullsh*t. If, and it's very likely at this stage, these detractors turn on Reeves and write slander about the next movie, you can bet your ass WB do the meddling all over again, and we'll be at a crossroads like before. Regardless, I won't be supporting their movies ever again.

As for Affleck's decision to step down? A year ago, I said that I would've lost respect if Affleck were to quit playing Batman because of the false hope he gave in the Comic Con conference in the middle of 2017***. But now, I take back everything I said. The man may be a celebrity, and may have his own skeletons in the closet, but looking at those paparazzi photographs of him looking disheveled and unhappy as he went back to rehab six months or so ago put things in perspective for me. A part of me does think he opted to quit the role as he was dedicated and supportive to what Snyder was going for and leave in solidarity for his firing. But even if that isn't the case, Affleck needs to take care of himself above all. There are FAR more important things in life than movies. Which is something these degenerative, hypocritical mouth breathers who criticise his take on the character don't understand. In other words, I respect his decision.

***EDIT***: Before anyone points it out, yes, I'm aware it was all in PR at the time, and in retrospect, it's not like he had a choice when he had a movie to promote. But it was still frustrating as a fan to experience this.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 04:33
Deep down we all knew this was coming. I did. So this isn't a shock.  As Batman fans we should be used to this, even though it's still disappointing. Keaton did two films, and Kilmer one. So Affleck joins Keaton (let's face it, SS is barely even a cameo). I would have loved another film or two from him, but that's not happening. BvS cements his legacy for me, in the same way B89 single handedly secures Keaton's.

To the so-called "fans", he'll go largely underappreciated.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It definitely hurts that this is coming at a time when the franchise was starting to turn itself around. I firmly believe that Affleck was a solid Batman in spite of the material he was given. But even with critical and financial numbers in the DCEU's favor, it looks like studio meddling was too much for Affleck. One has to wonder all that he went through to walk away from the role of a lifetime

I wonder what Armie Hammer is up to these days...

I think we all knew Affleck was out. I'm pretty sure he quit before Justice League was released. About two years ago I wrote:

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 18 Feb  2017, 21:51But if Affleck really is trying to get out of the franchise, then we should expect WB to announce a delay in the filming of The Batman. According to the most recent reports, filming is meant to commence in spring 2017. I can't see that happening when they still haven't even hired a director yet. So summer seems a more likely bet now. But if WB announces filming is delayed until after Justice League's release, then that's a sure sign the rumours of Affleck quitting have weight to them. WB won't want to announce his departure until after JL comes out in case it impacts the box office, so they'll cite script rewrites, director problems or scheduling conflicts as an excuse. But a significant delay in the filming schedule will most likely betoken Affleck's departure.

And we know how that turned out. So I can't honestly say I'm shocked.

I recollect seeing a comment someone posted on another site back when Affleck was first cast in 2013. They predicted he wouldn't stick around for long because he's always had thin skin and doesn't react well to criticism. Keaton brushed off the negative reaction to his casting in 1988 because he didn't really care, but all the reports indicate Affleck took the backlash to BvS very personally. He once said he'd never don a superhero costume again because he left himself open to ridicule when he played Daredevil. He went back on that pledge when he took the part of Batman, and for a while it seemed as if his attitude might have changed. But then it was reported that he felt humiliated by BvS and was looking to exit the role as early as 2016. It's a shame if he comes away from this experience feeling humiliated. Regardless of what people think of the films he appeared in, the majority of fans acknowledge that he did a good job. He proved his naysayers wrong and acquitted himself. And at least his Batman's storyline had a sense of closure at the end of Justice League, which is more than Keaton got in Batman Returns.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the reboot. I've never been terribly invested in the DCEU to begin with. I realised early on that they were going for a specific vision of Batman, Superman and the DC universe in general that wasn't aimed at people like me, and I could tell that it wasn't going to secure the same kind of longevity as the MCU. At the same time, I appreciate that there are lots of fans who really dug this vision and felt like this was their Batman, the version they'd always wanted to see. So my attitude for the past few years has been to let those fans enjoy the DCEU and hope the next iteration is closer to my own tastes. So far I've liked everything I've heard about Matt Reeves' approach. I've got more confidence in him than I had in Snyder or Whedon and I'm feeling optimistic about the future of the franchise. It's unlikely he'll deliver my dream version of the Dark Knight, but I'm hopeful he'll at least give me something that approximates it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 04:54Apparently this will be a younger Batman. For better or for worse. But there are comic book influences and aesthetics which haven't really been explored on film before and what we have here is a golden opportunity for something new. A Neal Adams type of iconic crusading Batman, humanistic to the core and a cape that stretches all the way across Manhattan. Or an early Bob Kane urban commando who contends with vampires and monster men. Or, go with me here, a fun and light Dick Sprang Batman who waves hello to passersby from the Batmobile on his way to another meeting with Commissioner Gordon.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 07:13I'm hoping for a detective style Batman (using a flashlight ala BTAS) with the same physicality of Affleck. Reeves referred to a rogues gallery appearing too, which sounds appealing.

These ideas all sound awesome to me. The potential here is unlimited. I can't wait to see what Reeves' comes up with.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 31 Jan  2019, 21:16
At the same time, I appreciate that there are lots of fans who really dug this vision and felt like this was their Batman, the version they'd always wanted to see. So my attitude for the past few years has been to let those fans enjoy the DCEU and hope the next iteration is closer to my own tastes.

BvS was very, very close to my Batman. Waking up from vivid nightmares, brooding over dead allies, using guns where appropriate and attacking foes like a scary vampire. Basically, my dream interpretation blends B89 and TDK Returns, which Affleck embodied so well. And let's not forget his Bruce Wayne - a true businessman with charisma and presence. He nailed both aspects of the character. But yeah. As I posted a number of months back:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 27 Nov  2018, 12:17
I get it. It really sucks what they did with JL. I was severely pissed after Raimi was booted from Spider-Man. My anger over the JL situation was like a raging volcano. They should've released the Snyder version. But instead, they lied to our faces and screwed over a misunderstood genius (Snyder). I feel that pain as much as anybody. But one year, five years or even ten years from now, what's the difference? The Batman movie brand is eventually going to continue after this episode. Just as Batman Begins followed Batman and Robin eight years later. The Reeves movie is being made whether we like it or not, and while I am burned, I'm still a Batman fan. I'm open to seeing what he offers. Batman has only ever been my main interest with the DC movie brand. The Aquaman, Flash, etc side of things can bomb for all I care. I liked the dynamic of Batman interacting with them, but those days are over. As for Reeves, I'll wait to see what happens.

And

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 27 Nov  2018, 10:39
The DCEU is a disappointment in the sense the content was all there to be implemented but it was shunned out of studio cowardice. But what's done is done.

The future of the ongoing DCEU will be Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Harley Quinn.

So here's the thing. We can lament the disappointment of Affleck departing the role and get nothing new Batman wise at all (c'mon guys, he's out) or we embrace the possibility of a new prequel trilogy with Reeves.

I'll take the latter, because otherwise, my cinematic Batman needs aren't being met.

There's no waiting around for Affleck to return because I'm sure management have already made the call.

So let's just get in with it. The years will just roll on by with nothing otherwise. The show goes on, and Aquaman and friends just don't do it for me in the same way.

And I stand by those comments now the new direction has been confirmed.

Fri, 1 Feb 2019, 22:03 #189 Last Edit: Fri, 1 Feb 2019, 22:15 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Feb  2019, 13:55
And I stand by those comments now the new direction has been confirmed.

Really? You're going to tolerate Warner Butchers after their despicable conduct? And the likelihood of them potentially continuing their meddling if the next film doesn't satisfy the braindead audience?

Very well, do what you want. At the end of the day, I'm not even frustrated anymore. Even if Affleck stayed on, I wasn't keen on a new movie anyway because I've been so disgusted by WB's deception and their lack of morals. I'm not the biggest Snyder fan despite my show of appreciation for his recent movies as of late, but lying about the circumstances over his departure is unforgivable. I don't want to give my money to a studio that insults its own creators and deceives the fans who do support their films, while desperately trying to appease snakes who write for the entertainment industry like Collider and clickbait sites. Besides, I don't want to be among a hypocritical audience with selective memory. BvS is not a masterpiece by any means, but anybody who is upset and ridicules scenes in that movie while blindly accepting all the mind-numbing nonsense you see in Nolan's movies, has something seriously wrong with them. Same thing goes for MOS. Sounds condescending? Too bad, I call it for what it is.

For me, my way of "getting on with it" is cherishing the movies that already exist and enjoy watching (or like enough to make me forgive the flaws they have), watching Adam West and animated films and TV shows like BTAS, playing video games such as the Arkham series, and exploring more comics I haven't read before. For example, I've been reading more of Scott Snyder's New 52 run and making up for lost time. As you know yourself, they're far more entertaining than most Batman movies Hollywood puts out. I DON'T need a new live action movie, thanks. Batman is a brand with a wealth of content that can keep my interest without seeing any more movies.