"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Dec  2016, 04:36Yes, however we still have Justice League to enjoy. I am positive the same martial arts choreographers will be involved in the solo film, along with Junkie XL and the same sets. Snyder will be missed, at least from my perspective, but the groundwork will still be there. I like Snyder a lot, but I like Batfleck more. I'm hoping for as many films as possible with him. Directors come and go. Batman is forever.
I know. And based on his track record up to now, there's every reason to think Affleck will do just fine with Batman as far as directing goes.

But Snyder basically gave me the exact version of Batman that I want right now and... *sigh*

That's true. However he will be tied with Burton at two films apiece. He'll be in good company.

Quote from: The Hollywood ReporterBen Affleck Hedges on Directing Batman Solo Movie
"If it doesn't come together in a way I think is really great, I'm not going to do it," Affleck said.
Ben Affleck is stepping back into Batman's cape and cowl for November's Justice League movie, but it's possible he won't be stepping behind the camera for the Dark Knight's planned standalone film.

In an interview with The Guardian, Affleck offered an update on the project, tentatively titled The Batman, which he is slated to direct and star in.

"That's the idea. But it's not a set thing and there's no script. If it doesn't come together in a way I think is really great, I'm not going to do it," Affleck told The Guardian.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-batman-movie-will-he-direct-afterall-960207
To be realistic, Affleck is currently expected to write, direct and star in the movie. Guys, that's pretty ambitious. Any one of those gigs is a full-time position unto itself. If he's suddenly fudging on doing all three, I assume it's because he realizes the workload he could be taking on might be too much. Pre-production would surely be a logistical nightmare, and that would be so even if he started working on all three of those things right now.

It might be worthwhile to bring in a director to take some of the burden off... though that raises the question of who might be suitable for this bad boy. And I have no real ideas there.

Fair enough if he doesn't want to tackle all three jobs at once, that's a big ask for anyone.

But what I don't get is the script remark. Awhile ago, Affleck said "We're still finishing up a script, I'm very excited". But now he's saying there is no script. Am I missing something here?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  3 Jan  2017, 07:31Fair enough if he doesn't want to tackle all three jobs at once, that's a big ask for anyone.

But what I don't get is the script remark. Awhile ago, Affleck said "We're still finishing up a script, I'm very excited". But now he's saying there is no script. Am I missing something here?
It's vague. It could mean there is literally no script, not even a draft. Or it could mean the one he's been working on still isn't finished yet. Your guess is as good as mine.

Actually, my guess is probably better because I'm awesome. But you get the idea. :D

Well, it's true you know. You are awesome.

Affleck says he IS directing the next Batman.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

When Affleck announces the script is done and filming is set to commence...you just KNOW this project is going to be sensational. He's a guy who is only satisfied with perfection.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 11 Jan  2017, 11:21
When Affleck announces the script is done and filming is set to commence...you just KNOW this project is going to be sensational. He's a guy who is only satisfied with perfection.

Which is why it seems he's going to be taking his time before filming will begin, judging by these quotes he made in an interview with USA Today.

"Superhero movies get the level of attention that is nothing like any film I've done. You cast the 14th lead in these movies and the Internet goes crazy," Affleck said. "I understand and embrace that. That's part of the pressure that comes with doing it. That's why I am not going to do it, unless I really feel confident about it."

Of course, Affleck is still directing the film, something he confirmed (again) this week on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and despite his acceptance of the attention, he's very well aware what day one of production will entail. "But when that day comes, should that day come, I'm sure that's going to be the most pressure, the most stress I have ever experienced in my professional life. There's no doubt."

One principle change Affleck plans on making will be an overhaul to the Batman costume, specifically to make it easier to get in and out of. "I know what's it's like to be in the suit," said Affleck. "We'll have to modify the suit to make it a little bit easier to put on and take off. When you are in it, you can be sweating, crazy and exhausted, do your part and walk away. But when you're a director, you can't walk away. You have to be there for everybody. Chief among the challenges of doing Batman, will be finding a suit that's more comfortable."

Source: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/ben-affleck-embraces-the-pressure-and-attention-that-comes-with-directing-a148131

His comments about the suit interest me. It's a logistical challenge I hadn't considered... but it's proof that he's considering all the angles here. He knows what he's up against.

How might he change the suit? I suppose he could keep the basic design but add extra zippers or something.

Another possibility though is mo-cap. Seriously, hear me out. The BVS Batman outfit can be replicated easily using computer graphics. Why wear the real thing when you know it'll be uncomfortable as hell and an extra challenge to directing?

Movie costumes like superhero outfits are insanely expensive. You might not think so to look at some of them but they are. The outfit Brandon Routh wore in Singer's movie cost a minimum of $20,000 per costume. Some estimated $30,000 each. If you figure at least twenty costumes might get created for the movie, the costs add up PDQ.

Mo-cap isn't a cheap process but how much more could it possibly cost (not just in terms of money but also in terms of man-hours and production time) than producing 20 or 30 physical costumes? Mo-cap might cost a bit more but allows the director greater logistical flexibility?

Affleck seriously needs to consider mo-capping Batman's suit in his movie.