"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Nov  2016, 22:37I'm thinking the death of Robin will be featured, which is something new to the films but still 'completely familiar', given the character also broods over his parents frequently. I also predict it will be more of a detective thriller merged with action seen in the BvS warehouse.
It does sound intriguing, I'll give you that. The detective thing hasn't been done as often as some of us might like.

Speaking of, one awesome thing about BvS is how it both showed and alluded to Batman fighting plain ol' criminals. Yeah, he contends with supervillains and whatnot but his day-to-day revolves around street crime, drug dealers, kidnappers and all that jazz. I'd love to get more of that type of stuff in the Affleck movie, if you please.

And as before, nothing fancy. Old fashioned butt-kickings where Batman smashes the stuffings out of everybody like he did in BvS is fine by me.

This is gonna be so awesome...

Yes, and also, such a story would explain why the Justice League don't become involved in his solo film. If Deathstroke is the main villain, the rest of the League are happy to say "Batman has this". Even if a lot of rogues are let out of Arkham. Because it's important to remember, Batfleck has been doing this job way before any of them, except of course Wonder Woman. It's not his first rodeo.

Affleck says the script is getting finished and has a lot of enthusiasm to start filming for it. Some rumours suggest it could start next year.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/ben-affleck-now-indicates-that-hell-be-ready-to-shoot-his-solo-batman-a147511
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 15 Dec  2016, 00:21Affleck says the script is getting finished and has a lot of enthusiasm to start filming for it. Some rumours suggest it could start next year.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/ben-affleck-now-indicates-that-hell-be-ready-to-shoot-his-solo-batman-a147511
Sounds great! So probably it'll be geared for release in 2018 then. My hope is Junkie XL comes back to do the score. He created some pretty interesting themes for BVS and he's the logical choice to score The Batman.

Do we know for sure that Affleck is directing? Nevermind, he's directing, just read the news blurb.

Junkie did a great job with the Batman side of things. He doesn't get enough praise.

It's a really broody, atmospheric theme when played at the lower register. It's very reminiscent of the Arkham Asylum video game main titles, which I love. It strikes a balance that Batman needs. It is depressive and reflective but nonetheless heroic in its own way. For reference, listen from 4.47 to 7.14 on 'Men Are Still Good'.

Pure Batman. It speaks to me about Batman's personality. How he feels about his parents murder, being a loner for his adult life and fighting a one man war on crime night after night. I'm sure others feel that when listening to the theme too.

The pure version of the theme in all its glory is great too. 11.20 to 13.54.

It's pure aggression. Those metallic beats never go away and are the backbone of the melody. It speaks to Batman's defiance and refusal to give up. The melody played over the top is nice too. It still has the rising note style theme we have grown to know and love, and the choir at the end is welcomed.

Elements of Junkie's work kind of reminds me of Goldenthal. Not that big bombastic hero theme Goldenthal came up with but the moodier, more brooding parts of his score. The melodic element Goldenthal went for with that horn (or whatever) sound in that 4:47 section of MASG with the melodramatic strings swirling around sounds almost a perfect match for some of the broodier parts of BF's score. I at least can picture Kilmer walking around the shadowy Batcave catching updates about Two Face's crime wave and flashing back to the good old days before Dent was scarred up in court.

That aspect of both composer's work just seems very similar to me and I welcome more from Junkie because of that.

I really love all of MASG because of how perfectly BATMAN it is. That heavy, pounding, relentless, almost industrial mega theme is pure Wagnerian bombast and I love it. You can picture Affleck's Batman kicking criminals' asses, pounding the snot out of them with his clenched fists, his teeth gritted in anger while he works brutally but methodically through all of his adversaries.

To go full fanboy, one thing I've done over the last year or two is fall in love with all the major Batman composers we've had up to now. Elfman, Goldenthal, Zimmer and now Junkie XL, they all bring a different approach and they're all perfect for what they each set out to do. Elfman's work wouldn't hold up for Snyder's Batman and Goldenthal's themes wouldn't play well with Nolan's Batman. But each composer's work is perfect for the films in which they're used and I dig that in a big way.

Junkie also has what I call a horror theme. It goes all quiet and then out of nowhere the score booms as a dark surprise. I can see that coming back in the future because it perfectly fits the silent takedowns Batman performs in combat. So that's three elements of the character he has. The somber side, the horror side, and the full on Batman Mode of the main theme. And we cannot forget the Beautiful Lie track which relates to Bruce's parents. To me that's an instant classic. I was tearing up when that scene played and I don't care who knows. Which is remarkable given we've seen the Wayne's getting killed so many times now.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Dec  2016, 03:44Junkie also has what I call a horror theme. It goes all quiet and then out of nowhere the score booms as a dark surprise. I can see that coming back in the future because it perfectly fits the silent takedowns Batman performs in combat. So that's three elements of the character he has. The somber side, the horror side, and the full on Batman Mode of the main theme. And we cannot forget the Beautiful Lie track which relates to Bruce's parents. To me that's an instant classic. I was tearing up when that scene played and I don't care who knows. Which is remarkable given we've seen the Wayne's getting killed so many times now.
I think the reason that scene works so well is because (with all due respect) it plays to Snyder's strengths as a filmmaker where he can play the action silently with music to serve as the emotional guide. He does that as well as anybody and better than most.

Watching those familiar scenes was like watching a comic book and the BL track perfectly conveys the emotions.

In fact, that's one thing I really enjoy about BVS on rewatches. MOS didn't have Snyder's signature visual style to it. But dammit, BVS did!!! That gorgeous slow-motion, the almost operatic approach to the cinematography, it's just pure Snyder goodness.

My lasting regret is that Snyder won't direct any of the solo Batman films. I know he can't be everywhere and do everything himself but Batman is losing something without Snyder. I'm sure Affleck will do an amazing job but I'll miss Snyder's touch with the material, you know?

Yes, however we still have Justice League to enjoy. I am positive the same martial arts choreographers will be involved in the solo film, along with Junkie XL and the same sets. Snyder will be missed, at least from my perspective, but the groundwork will still be there. I like Snyder a lot, but I like Batfleck more. I'm hoping for as many films as possible with him. Directors come and go. Batman is forever.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Dec  2016, 03:44
Junkie also has what I call a horror theme. It goes all quiet and then out of nowhere the score booms as a dark surprise. I can see that coming back in the future because it perfectly fits the silent takedowns Batman performs in combat. So that's three elements of the character he has. The somber side, the horror side, and the full on Batman Mode of the main theme.

The music during that scene where Batman was hiding from the cops and they discovered he had branded Santos was definitely chilling. It had that horror movie vibe. Batman really evoked fear in that scene, much better than any scene with expository dialogue ever could.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei