"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, if that turns out to be true, they should just get Schumacher and Clooney back.

Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 00:07 #51 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 00:13 by The Dark Knight
I don't believe that Affleck will vacate the role. However everyone is probably waiting to see how JL performs first. I really loved BvS, but endless moaning and ridicule isn't fun. That's hard to take for anyone. Affleck and the company gave something their all, only to get trashed. My confidence would be low as well. Especially when Affleck went through the Daredevil thing. At this point, I don't believe Affleck is going anywhere. There does seem to be a narrative in the media that the DCEU will fold though, (made up rumors that WW is terrible, etc) and hopefully that doesn't become self fulfilling. WB just need to hold their nerve.

Looking at the matter strictly financially, the three DCEU movies up to now don't warrant panic of any kind. Per widget, they're more profitable than Marvel Studios so far.

Isn't Affleck under contract for Batman? He may not have the option of walking away. And it's not like we know everything but one wonders why he would walk away. He was well-received in the role. Most critics either ignored him or else specifically singled him out for praise. The opposition to him in the role was short-lived, and mostly made up of Nolan fanatics anyway.

I guess anything is possible but I don't see the motive in quitting.

Neither. They are banking cash - I think a lot of it is mental. Getting nominated for Razzies and the like. Especially after Affleck's new film got hammered. He's probably not feeling so hot right now. But I continue to have faith. He's awesome as Batman and I like the plot trajectory they've taken.

Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 01:34 #54 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 02:38 by The Laughing Fish
Mark Hughes' rumour makes no sense to me at all. If Affleck were to leave the role, why would he still stay on as co-writer and producer? I'd imagine he'd want to walk away from the DCEU completely. This smells like bullsh*t to me.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  1 Feb  2017, 00:57
Neither. They are banking cash - I think a lot of it is mental. Getting nominated for Razzies and the like. Especially after Affleck's new film got hammered. He's probably not feeling so hot right now. But I continue to have faith. He's awesome as Batman and I like the plot trajectory they've taken.

Wait...did Affleck get nominated for a Razzie?!

EDIT: Never mind, I just learned that he and Cavill both got nominated.

So let me get this straight: Christian Bale gets awarded for Best Actor by the Saturn Awards during his tenure as Batman, despite playing Bruce Wayne in such a wooded manner, and embarasses himself nearly every time he opens his mouth whenever he's in costume...but Ben Affleck gets 'awarded' as Worst Actor at the Razzies?

Brandon Routh also won Best Actor at the Saturn Awards despite he was rather stiff as Clark Kent/Superman...but Henry Cavill gets 'awarded' as Worst Actor at the Razzies?

This planet is such a f***ing joke.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  1 Feb  2017, 00:34Isn't Affleck under contract for Batman?

According to The Hollywood Reporter his contract stipulates just three films – BvS, Justice League and Justice League II:

QuoteIn a Hollywood Reporter interview with WME-IMG's co-CEOs Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, Whitesell reveals how many movies Affleck has currently signed up for when it comes to DC's Caped Crusader.

"He's contracted to do at least Justice League One and Two, so at least three times wearing the cape," he says, adding, "There's a script that he's written that is a really cool [Batman] idea, so that's out there as an option."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-has-written-his-879355

So before he hangs up the cape, Affleck will have starred as Batman in at least three movies, not to mention his cameo in Suicide Squad.

But I still think he'll return for The Batman. While there was an obvious reticence in his latest comments about directing the film, I haven't detected a comparable reluctance when he's discussed starring in it. He still sounds keen. The only way I think he'll quit is if the studio pressures him to move forward with a script he's not happy with. But as long as WB allows him adequate time to develop the screenplay, I'm confident he'll see it through.

^I thought Justice League 2 was canceled, and they're only doing one? So his contract could potentially be up if they dropped JL2.

I think JL2 is still on the cards, but has been delayed until after The Batman (though I might be wrong about this). So I suppose it depends on whether Affleck's contract simply says "three films" or whether it specifies JL2 must be one of them. Either way, if they want him to appear in both The Batman and JL2 then a new contract will need to be negotiated.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  1 Feb  2017, 19:53
^I thought Justice League 2 was canceled, and they're only doing one? So his contract could potentially be up if they dropped JL2.

I don't think it was "cancelled" as much as they just decided it was only going to be a one part movie, originally it was going to be a two parter. That news came out before the stuff with Ben's solo Batman movie got revved up (like during one of the first JL set visits by one of the comic book websites I think?), so maybe it's filling JL Part 2's slot and his contract shifts to that? Or maybe they're still going to do a second JL movie and The Batman is added onto that.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  2 Feb  2017, 01:32
I don't think it was "cancelled" as much as they just decided it was only going to be a one part movie, originally it was going to be a two parter.
This is correct. Justice League II is still a real possibility, but later on. It wouldn't be a direct sequel to the events of the first film.