Batman Returns Theater Display

Started by GoNerdYourself, Tue, 31 Oct 2017, 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic
A lot of memories from the time Batman Returns came out are hazy. I can't quite remember how I found out about the film, though I do remember seeing the trailer on the Curly Sue VHS (a movie I literally remember nothing about other than the title and poster) and some of the TV spots and toy commercials, as well as the McDonalds campaign.

I also have a strong memory of seeing the film at a Showcase Cinemas and as we entered, off to the side, there was this amazing cardboard standee. It was rather large and utilized an image that was reminiscent of the alternate poster I'm sure we're all familiar with, the one that has Batman centered in his fight stance, Catwoman on the right kinda in the air with leg up, and Penguin on the left with his umbrella. However, the standee version was cool because Penquin's umbrella was motorized and spun around. It was hypnotic.

I'm curious, does anyone remember seeing one of these and, if so, are there any pictures of it?

I remember the motorized fan standee. The theater said they usually junked them after the first couple of weeks. I begged my dad to buy it or something but he (correctly) said it wouldn't fit inside my room.

*sigh*

I posted this video in a different part of the Burton forum, but since you asked about the poster here it is in full motorized motion.  I hope you enjoy.

That's amazing! Thank you for the video.

Watching this video was a real time warp. To me, it's evident that even though this was 'only' 25 years ago, it may as well be over 100 years ago. So much has changed in that relatively short space of time. You can *feel* the genuine goodness and warmth from that clip. The reporters devote themselves to the subject with interest, covering all the details in a personable way. They're gentle people connecting with the audience - almost speaking to them directly. The world back then (as I remember it) was a much more laid back place. The world today is not like that. It's very much go go go.