Martha and Bucky dialogue comparisons

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 4 Aug 2018, 08:37

Previous topic - Next topic
As everybody knows in the Martha scene, as soon as Superman pleads Batman to save Martha Kent, this paves the way for a moment of confusion for Batman as he flashes back to the death of his parents, with Martha being the last word his father Thomas ever uttered, and the rest is history. And as everybody knows, lots of people bitched and complained about this scene to unreasonable proportions, with many misunderstanding the scene into thinking Batman and Superman suddenly becoming friends because their mothers shared the same name, while others didn't like how the dialogue and the entire scene was written. Out of these two reasons, only the the latter is logical to me.

The thing is this isn't the first time a character was stumped by somebody mentioning a name. In Captain America: Civil War, Crossbones distracts Cap by mentioning his friend Bucky while trying to commit murder-suicide with a grenade. Afterwards, when Cap tries to comfort Scarlet Witch over the incident in Nigeria, he admitted he should've paid better attention to what Crossbones was doing, and got caught by surprise when "Rumlow said Bucky, and all of a sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again in Brooklyn".

The context of the two scenes are very different, but it speaks how a moment of a mere mention of a name deeply affects Batman and Cap in both movies. BvS has Batman suffering a moment of PTSD where he relives the traumatic childhood moment before finally realising Superman was not a threat, and coming to terms of nearly becoming no different to the man murdered his parents and opens his eyes who the true threat is. Ulimately, it develops his character arc as well as moving the plot along. In CW, Cap's connection to the only last surviving friend and the closest person to a brother he ever had from a time long lost, blinds him in a moment of weakness which inadvertently kickstarted the Sokovia Accords. As far as a character arc is concerned - for better or worse - he stays loyal to his friend and becomes a fugitive in a time when the Avengers are compromised.

I'm not trying compare which is better than the other. I'm only pointing out how both scenes used names to distract the characters for plot convenience.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei