Legends mini-series (1986)

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 20 May 2016, 11:59

Previous topic - Next topic
I spent the last couple of days reading the Legends mini-series - where Darkseid tries to deceive and manipulate the public to turn against superheroes in the hopes of dominating Earth when its defenseless. It's also the Post-Crisis debut of how the modern day Justice League and Suicide Squad is formed to stop the crisis.

Even though the public were being tricked by Glorious Godfrey - who has the power to manipulate people into becoming slaves or angry mobs, I'd describe Legends as a cautionary tale in how propaganda can easily persuade people into blind hatred. Humanity was exploited the worst it has to offer, and how prejudiced and violent when people are in groups; which is something we can familiarise with horrible real life events that have happened in human history.

As I said, Darkseid believed manipulating humanity's destructive nature would render the planet hopeless if every heroic legend is broken and destroyed. The fear mongering by the evangelical Godfrey incites Batman and Robin to be attacked by a blood thirsty mob, despite the Dynamic Duo's efforts in stopping a violent crime moments earlier (by the way, this is the fifth time I've read a comic where Jason Todd was seriously injured before A Death in the Family. If I grew in the eighties, Jason's death in A Death in the Family wouldn't have surprised me).

Darkseid even used the naivete and good-natured ideals against Captain Marvel (or Shazam as DC calls him nowadays), by setting him up to feel guilty over killing a gigantic villain in self-defence, which led to Billy Batson to promising never to become Captain Marvel again. Little did Billy know that the giant he killed was actually a clone in disguise; as Darkseid took advantage of an innocent young boy to break "a legend".

However, the inherent goodness of the heroes to persevere from the crisis and, together with trust of the children that break the vicious violence and restore order, the modern JL swear to continue protecting those who can't be defended. Hence, why they're regarded as Legends I guess the moral of the story involving the children is telling us that kids are innocent, but it's the crazy adults who are wrong. I kind of believe that. ;))

The story definitely feels set in the eighties, just by having President Ronald Reagan declaring an order to ban all costumed heroes till the crisis faded, as well as Black Canary's aerobics-styled outfit.

I liked the story for its themes, and how it shows heroes are legendary for never giving up, no matter how heavily mistrusted or doubted. Because doing good it's the right thing to do. It's simple, but effective.

My favourite scene is Guy Gardner - the self-proclaimed "one and true Green Lantern" - mocking a maniac called Sunspot in the middle of a burning street.  ;D

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've never read LEGENDS, but have some interest in doing so.

Recently checked out INVASION. I think it was one of the very first 'events' in the Post-Crisis DCU, and I thought it was OK for the most part. I might need to read it again, as admittedly, I was kinda speed reading for a good portion of it, but it was alright overall. Nothing exceptionally great and memorable, but not horrid either.

Very vanilla I guess.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I adore Legends. There are too many similarities between it and Smallville's tenth season for me to think someone involved with the show wasn't deeply influenced by it.

Also, the pictures of Guy Gardner there show him battling a character modeled (rather transparently) on Jim Shooter. "New universe" and his appearance are big giveaways. Clearly Byrne had no love for Shooter... not that he's made any secret of that.

Fun story, love it!