Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Started by Catwoman, Sat, 21 May 2016, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

I agree.

Honestly, I think Luke is a great character given his character growth, going from from farm boy to Jedi Knight. He wasn't the chosen one. He was just a teenager minding his own business shooting womb rats and longing for something more with his life. One day everything changes and he's saving a princess and blowing up a space station. We learn along with Luke. Yes, he's whiny at times. But that's the reality of human existence. We grow.

I think TLJ is going to make him an even more interesting character in my opinion - building upon what already existed. I'm a fan of emotionally scarred heroes who walk a fine line between light and dark. And that's Luke. In ROTJ he force choked the Gamorrean guards and wore a black cloak. He asked Jabba to surrender, and when he didn't, he killed his goons and blew up the barge. That sounds fair to me. He also tapped into the dark side to defeat Vader, but realized he went too far. Thus he surrendered to the Emperor's lightning because he'd rather die than repeat his father's mistakes. Same thing when Vader revealed he was his father. He'd rather drop down into oblivion than join the forces of darkness.

Luke had to come to terms with who his father was. Just as Vader had to come to terms with the fact Palpatine tricked him, and he now has to live the rest of his life as a slave....just as he grew up on Tatooine. His mother is dead. Padme is dead. He betrayed all his friends....and so on.

Luke knows darkness is in his blood, but he manages to control it. So when Ben Solo burns down his Jedi Temple and probably massacres all of his padawans...he's going to be hurt. He's going to feel anger and the need to take revenge. But what does he do? Well, it's safe to say he goes into seclusion on Ahch-To. He'd rather remove himself from the situation than succumb to the darkness. Brooding and reflecting on his failures during this time.

As said, I like three dimensional characters with trauma to overcome. Rey finding Luke doesn't automatically mean the universe is saved. That would be boring. Re-energizing Luke gives the man another character arc and most importantly, allows us to see the true rebirth of the Jedi on screen.

That image of Luke really connects him visually to the badass Return of the Jedi Luke.

Only he looks a hundred times more dangerous.

He has a look there that's like;

"You think you know the Force? Let me show you the Force..."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

He looks like he's ready to annihilate some Gungans. With extreme prejudice.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 31 Aug  2017, 19:43
He looks like he's ready to annihilate some Gungans. With extreme prejudice.

Meesa no lookey! Meesa love Jar Jar!

On a serious note I wonder how Luke will interact with Chewie and R2. They went with Rey to Achoo didn't they? I know Chewie did as co-pilot. I hope, weary as he is, that Luke would at least have a little warmth to them. I couldn't take him being rude to R2. I don't think R2 could take it. He would probably short circuit permanently. :(

The poster is okay. I prefer TFA's design, though.

I'm all about that redemption arc, bro. I need Luke to be down in the dumps, scared and insecure in the first few acts of the film. And then at the end he stomps back to shut everything down. I need savage Luke.

Hmmmmm. The trailer does hint a little too much of what's going to happen, for my liking. Looks fairly gloomy compared to TFA, but I'm still open to seeing it.

To go off-topic a bit, I noticed some detractors of the Disney Star Wars franchise are complaining that the focus on women as the main leading characters reeks of SJW propaganda. This is where I think all the SJW stuff can be blurry. Just Star Wars happens to have female characters taking the spotlight, it doesn't mean it's agenda-driven. If these Disney films promoted misandry, then these complaints are justified, but that's not what's going on here.

I can understand the criticism for TFA relying too much on nostalgia, and it may be the same case for TLJ. But I repeat, women as the main characters is not a problem.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The SJW thing... maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. But either way, it's kind of a testament to how politicized entertainment (hell, everything) has become that people can reasonably make this accusation.

I suppose it's a good sign that the accusation is sticking now. Three years ago, the people making the claim would be ridiculed, harassed and mocked. Improvement?

The trailer. Those of you planning to see this movie, I hope you enjoyed this trailer and love the movie.