Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Started by Catwoman, Sat, 21 May 2016, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic
This 17 second clip of Luke coming to terms with Han's death should've been in the final cut. If I only had one choice to replace any of Luke's scenes in the movie with that deleted scene, I'd remove that pointless breast feeding milk moment.

No, it wouldn't have made TLJ any better. But it would've completed the scene where Luke meets Chewbacca and asks "Where's Han?", instead of abruptly cutting off to the next scene.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Adam Driver revealed Kylo Ren's arc was supposed to be the opposite of Darth Vader's, in the sense that he was supposed to be progressively evil instead of redeeming himself at the end of the trilogy.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/star-wars-adam-driver-says-010159765.html

I don't understand why JJ Abrams bothered to direct The Rise of Skywalker if his overall story arc was drastically changed by Rian Johnson.

Speaking of Rian Johnson, I read this post from a disgruntled Star Wars fan saying TLJ was conceived because of a niche group of bloggers influencing Hollywood, and Johnson is connected with these people:

QuoteIf there's one lesson I hope Disney and Lucasfilm learned from this...

It's "Don't hire Twitter trolls to make Star Wars movies."

One of the things that baffles so many of us Star Wars fans is Rian Johnson's open contempt for supporters of George Lucas' vision. How could a guy responsible for directing one of the biggest event films in the last 20 years be such a petty, thin-skinned, permaTweeting bully?

He got it from his best friend.

Before Rian DELETED EVERYTHING, Johnson was part of a very strange, insular, and deeply cruel subculture that called itself Film Twitter. Led by Devin Faraci, formerly of the Alamo Drafthouse and a blog called BirthMoviesDeath, Film Twitter was an army of drinking buddies who would get wasted together and scream at people online all day who disagreed with their hot movie takes. Film Twitter was filled with guys like Devin, Rian, Drew McWeeny, Meredith Borders, Priscilla Page, Jordan Hoffman, Kumail Nanjiani, and Jen Yamato, among many others. They were INSANELY cruel to strangers that they deemed not "woke" enough or had "bad" opinions on movies. Name calling and threats were par for the course, and in fact, they got off not just on harassing fans, but also entertainers whose work they did not enjoy, like the cast of a dumb party movie from 2012 called Project X and the indie filmmaker Joe Swanberg. They really hurt many young artists' careers, and they got off on inflicting pain onto those they saw as enemies or worse, inferior moviemakers.

I personally went to a couple of their meetups. Imagine 20 Comic Book Guys getting hammered, singing Karaoke, and passing around their phones to brag about the strangers they were totally schooling. Just irredeemable and vile sh*t from a sweaty legion of dork alcoholics. Their usual excuses for harassing people would be some nonsensical and completely irrelevant rhetoric about gender or race. Didn't like Force Awakens? Misogyny. Thought one of their buddy's new indie film sucked? Bigotry. These guys spread so much hate, but would immediately retreat into "I'M BEING BULLIED! HARASSMENT!" when their victims dished it back. This is called "crybullying."

Rian Johnson eventually had to delete all of his Twitter references to Devin Faraci after he admitted to sexually assaulting a woman. They are still, however, very close friends. So for all of his posturing, he's a total fraud who hangs out regularly with a creepy criminal. The online toxicity of the TLJ fanbase is a direct reflection of it's director and his social circle.

There are so many talented filmmakers who don't have an active presence on Twitter, and Disney and Lucasfilm are entirely to blame for prioritizing social media zeitgeists over their actual customers and fans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/dheqw9/if_theres_one_lesson_i_hope_disney_and_lucasfilm/

That last sentence easily applies to WB and the DCEU too.

I'm very familiar with Devin Faraci, as he was allegedly the one started this baseless "Zack Snyder is an objectivist" bullsh*t, as well as his exposure to being a sexual deviant. I'll never forget the time when he was called out by a woman who accused him of sexually assaulting her and boasted about it to his friends, and he begged her for forgiveness despite saying he didn't remember. And he had the gall to call himself a feminist. What a degenerate.

If it's true that Johnson is friends with Faraci then that makes my distaste for him increase tenfold.

I am surprised to read that Kumail Nanjiani is one of these people. If that's true then that might explain why he gets roles in the MCU and Star Wars.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That would seem to legitimize Luke's rationale in trying to kill Kylo. I don't think Luke would actually do that. But the thought would cross his mind.