Harley Quinn Spin-Off

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 16 May 2016, 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 13 Dec  2016, 23:59
I'm on board.

Same here.  Those three could really sex up the screen.

Apparently, Birds of Prey is greenlit and is expected to be directed by Cathy Yan, a former journalist for the Wall Street Journal, and Margot Robbie is expected to reprise her role as Harley Quinn. The script is being written by Christina Hodson, who also replaced Joss Whedon for Batgirl. Though it looks like development for Gotham City Sirens has stalled.

In Suicide Squad-related news, there will be a sequel directed by Gavin O'Connor. His only film credit I recognise was the boxing drama Warrior, which was excellent.

Source: https://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-quinn-margot-robbie-cathy-yan-birds-of-prey-warner-bros-dc-entertainment-bat-girl-christina-hodson-1202365866/

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I was really looking forward to Gotham City Sirens, though I guess its for the better since I have some reservations about the direction they would take Catwoman. As for BoP, that should be fun. I didn't watch the show (the opening that killed off Selina Kyle pissed me off enough to never give it a chance lol) but I like the characters. Huntress is overdue to be in a movie. Black Canary too.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens?  Do they both feature Harley Quinn?  And where does Catwoman and Poison Ivy fit into BoP, if at all?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 18 Apr  2018, 18:29
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens?  Do they both feature Harley Quinn?  And where does Catwoman and Poison Ivy fit into BoP, if at all?

Birds of Prey concerns a team of heroes, while Gotham City Sirens focuses on a group of villains. Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy sometimes appear as antagonists in the Birds of Prey stories, but they're the main protagonists in the Gotham City Sirens comics along with Catwoman.

The connection between Catwoman and Birds of Prey is Huntress. The original Huntress (Helena Wayne) first appeared in 'From Each Ending... A New Beginning!' (DC Super-Stars Vol 1 #17, December 1977) and was the daughter of the Earth-Two Batman and Catwoman.

Barbara Joyce played a live-action version of this Huntress alongside Adam West's Batman in Legends of the Superheroes (1979). However there was no reference to them being father and daughter.

Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, a new version of Huntress – Helena Bertinelli – was introduced in 1989, but this incarnation was not related to Bruce Wayne or Selina Kyle. Six years later the first Birds of Prey comic launched in 1995. This originally starred Oracle and Black Canary, while the 2002-2003 Birds of Prey TV series focused on Oracle and Huntress. The Helena Kyle Huntress in the TV show (played by Ashley Scott) was loosely based on the Earth-Two incarnation from the comics and was portrayed as the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

Harley Quinn also appeared in the TV show played by Mia Sara.

In 2003 Gail Simone added the Bertinelli Huntress to the comic book Birds of Prey team, thereby forming the classic trio most people associate with the title. Subsequently DC reintroduced the Helena Wayne Huntress in the 2012 New 52 title Words' Finest Volume 1. And that version, like her Bronze Age counterpart, is the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

Thank you Silver Nemesis.

At a guess, how do you therefore think Harley Quinn will be incorporated into a Birds of Prey movie?  As a villain, a hero, or something else?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Looking forward to Margot Robbie reprising Harley Quinn. I have no idea who Cathy Yan is, so it's a 'whatever' on her. Hopefully she can deliver something worthwhile for Warners and their decision to go with her.

Now Gavin O'Connor directing the Suicide Squad sequel is something that perks my interest. I agree wholeheartedly that "Warrior" was excellent, and can see how his style can work within the tone and style of DCEU's Suicide Squad without being jarringly different. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 16 Feb  2017, 01:27
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 13 Dec  2016, 23:59
I'm on board.

Same here.  Those three could really sex up the screen.
And that's all that matters.

I'm cool with the movie and characters, I'm just not sold on Cathy Yan. I mean, if Ayer couldn't make a competent SS movie, why should I have faith in someone who hasn't made a major motion picture?

This will literally be a wait and see for me. I know nothing about this director.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 18 Apr  2018, 22:23At a guess, how do you therefore think Harley Quinn will be incorporated into a Birds of Prey movie?  As a villain, a hero, or something else?

I would assume as a villain. They already portrayed her as a reluctant anti-hero in Suicide Squad. Doing so again in Birds of Prey would feel like a retread IMO.

For me, the main selling point with a Birds of Prey movie is Huntress. I've always liked that character – both the Helena Wayne and Bertinelli versions – and it's high time she received a decent cinematic treatment. I can see Robbie's Harley Quinn serving as a Joker surrogate to Huntress' Batman.