Harley Quinn Spin-Off

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 16 May 2016, 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Going with a Gotham City Sirens route (Harley, Catwoman, Ivy) would be pretty cool.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

It's reported, although not yet confirmed, that Margot Robbie will produce and star in the spin-off.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/margot-robbie-signs-first-look-928813
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 17 Sep  2016, 01:40
It's reported, although not yet confirmed, that Margot Robbie will produce and star in the spin-off.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/margot-robbie-signs-first-look-928813
Looking forward to this.

I hope we'll at least see Poison Ivy.

Who else should be added?  Batgirl?  Catwoman (or is she too big a character to play second-fiddle to Harley)?

And who should the baddie be?  I think Black Mask would make a great antagonist for the ladies to go up against.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Harley and Joker's relationship in SS made me think about Batman's love life.

Batman has Catwoman and their relationship has warmed in recent times.

After years of Batman withholding his desires, we've had:

Batman and Catwoman getting down on a rooftop during Catwoman #2
Batman and Catwoman getting down on a rooftop during Batman Rebirth
Bruce and Selina getting down in her apartment during the Telltale game
Bruce and Selina retiring together in TDK Rises and getting down for eternity

I like this shift that has taken place over the years. The two characters can remain haunted loners, as Batman Rebirth and the Telltale game recently depicted. But Batman doesn't have to be a celibate priest. Nor do the two have to get married. Hush is another example of relations warming up considerably - and the story still ends on a downbeat mood. Others may not agree, but I don't care. I dig the concept of these two romping around and kicking ass. The alpha male and the alpha female. They can have disagreements like any couple. And because of this, it makes the seperation hurt both of them even more given their more meaningful connection. But they both eventually come back for more and continue playing this game. If Affleck does bring in Catwoman, I'd totally be up for the Hush template.

It's fun, feel good....still haunted and about time.

I dig the concept of Batman having a One True Love but not in a Lois Lane sense. What I think works is the idea of Catwoman as sort of a light at the end of the tunnel. She's somebody who's just as f**ked up as he is and there's a promise that someday, if they can both get their acts together, they can make a life with each other.

Love for Batman is sort of like a reward for a career well done. When Bruce is finally ready to call it a day as Batman, Selina will be there to ride off into the sunset with him.

I view it as Bruce putting people first rather than the city... or maybe rather than The Mission. Once he's finally able to do that, it's inevitable that he'd gravitate toward Selina or someone just like her.

Sat, 11 Feb 2017, 12:35 #28 Last Edit: Sat, 11 Feb 2017, 13:00 by The Dark Knight
Yep. They have a back and forth but never settle down. Only at 'The End'.

Arkham Knight had this bleak ending for the two:

Emotionally cold stuff. However, I'm inclined to think Batman continued his war on crime after the events of the game via Scarecrow's fear gas, becoming "something worse". Which as you say, would mean Batman still isn't ready to call it a day and settle down. But boy, what a powerful 'ending' between the two characters. He's basically saying from now on, consider me dead. Talk about a tragic love story!

But back to my main point: I'm happy for Batman and Catwoman to warm their relations, even though the relationship never becomes a tight family unit ala Lois and Clark. If the DCEU had an older Catwoman to match Affleck it would play perfectly, given he's had a long association with the rogues gallery over the years.

Well, I suppose that feeds into how their relationship would play out after they've both retired from their insane lifestyles. And honestly, anything we say here is total conjecture. I, for one, find it really hard to believe that they'd settle into a normal pattern of domesticity. I could sooner picture some 50 Shades of Grey s**t going on between those two because their respective traumas still exist even if they're not as affected by them as they used to be.

I love the Earth-2 concept of Batman marrying Catwoman and the two of them having a relatively normal marriage and then having Helena Wayne. But in practical terms, I just don't buy that when it comes to a grittier, darker Batman like we've seen in comics since the mid-80's.

Head canon stuff is fun to think about, I'll say that.