Harley Quinn Spin-Off

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 16 May 2016, 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbies-harley-quinn-movie-894486

DC and WB are already planning a spin off of Suicide Squad, with Margot Robbie reprising her role. And she won't be alone.
QuoteBut in an interesting twist, the project is not a Quinn solo movie. Rather, it would focus on several of DC's female heroes and villains.

Details are being closely guarded but names such as Batgirl and Birds of Prey have surfaced, although in what capacity, it's not clear. Warner Bros. isn't commenting.

There is also a scribe penning the script but those details, too, are being kept secret, although it is known that the writer is female.

I have one name of someone who HAS to be in this and hasn't been in the DC Cinematic Universe yet: Poison. Ivy.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This sounds like PR to me. Not that fans wouldn't love a good Birds of Prey movie, but this reeks of Warner Bros projecting a show of confidence in their product to counteract online negativity. They should wait and see how critics and audiences respond to Suicide Squad before making any premature commitments.

You want to talk about premature commitments? WB developed the whole DC Universe slate after Man of Steel, despite it not being a major hit, and had two movies in production as well as Justice League already queued up for shooting before BvS even came out.

Still, given the current circumstances, I think WB is smart to try to play up the "girl power" side of DC for its future slate, with Wonder Woman being an almost universally praised aspect of BvS and Harley being one of the main draws of the Suicide Squad film.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I'd love to see a Birds of Prey movie featuring the Harley, Catwoman and Poison Ivy troika, but it does bother me that WB is rushing to make these team-up movies before sufficiently establishing the various characters.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 16 May  2016, 19:57
You want to talk about premature commitments? WB developed the whole DC Universe slate after Man of Steel, despite it not being a major hit, and had two movies in production as well as Justice League already queued up for shooting before BvS even came out.

I was hoping they'd have learned from that. They need to take into consideration what fans like and dislike and calibrate their plans accordingly. It's no good making commitments based on hype and test screenings, only to discover the fans don't like the direction they're heading in at a point when it's too late to do anything about it.

I like the sound of this. A lot.

I'd rather see Batwoman than Batgirl.  Not really a fan of Batgirl as there's not much to her.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Tue, 17 May  2016, 01:55
I'd rather see Batwoman than Batgirl.  Not really a fan of Batgirl as there's not much to her.
I feel the opposite way.  I can't stand Kathy Kane, whereas I think Barbara Gordon is a fascinating character, both before and after becoming crippled.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

It would be kind of odd to name a super hero film after the villain instead of the hero (though Batman is in suicide squad), I guess Harley will be more of a protagonist role?

I wonder if it is time to make another attempt at a Catwoman film? It's been 12 years since the Halle Berry disaster and I think audiences would be forgiving if it's more faithful to the character; use Selina Kyle in the title role, add some substance rather than sex appeal.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Tue, 17 May  2016, 01:55

???

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 17 May  2016, 16:29
It would be kind of odd to name a super hero film after the villain instead of the hero (though Batman is in suicide squad), I guess Harley will be more of a protagonist role?

I wonder if it is time to make another attempt at a Catwoman film? It's been 12 years since the Halle Berry disaster and I think audiences would be forgiving if it's more faithful to the character; use Selina Kyle in the title role, add some substance rather than sex appeal.

I'm sure she'd be the "protagonist," whether or not she was a good protagonist or a bad one would probably depend on the scene and her mental state at that moment.

And yes, definitely on the second part. I was going to post that myself actually. It's definitely time for her to get a movie and be done right.