Marvel's Punisher

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 29 Apr 2016, 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 15 Jan 2021, 04:20 #50 Last Edit: Tue, 2 Feb 2021, 22:01 by thecolorsblend
Finished season 01.

Honestly... eh. The writers tried way too hard to "humanize" Castle. But that's pointless. He's a killing machine. I think too much humanization dilutes the purity of what the Punisher is supposed to represent.

The season started off strong but I found myself disagreeing with the creative decisions more and more with each passing episode. Great stunts/fights, but man, that writing missed the boat a few times too many.

A general thing, I will say that the Netflix show does solve for one of my major gripes with the Punisher. Specifically, there are no other costumed characters running around. Yeah yeah yeah, Daredevil season 02. But aside from that, the stories feature Castle as basically a solo act.

Now yes, there's too much crying in one's beer going on in Netflix's Punisher for my tastes. But I can still give the show credit for mostly keeping Castle off in his own little corner of the Netflixverse. I've come to understand that one big gripe I have with the 616 Punisher is that he doesn't rly make sense in a shared universe. I might say the same for the X-Men, tbh. But in a universe where you've got Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Blade and other hardasses running around, what makes the Punisher so objectionable? I mean, is anybody srsly going to look me in the eye and claim that the Punisher is somehow more dangerous than Hulk?

What, it's okay for Captain America to take life but not the Punisher? Cap would, y'know. Soldier and all that. So is it okay for the Punisher to be who he is if he operates under SHIELD's auspices? Or, it's cool if Blade kills cuz, hey, they're vampires. But the Punisher is a big meanie even tho he kills non-vampires?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm guilty of that sometimes. But if you ask me, putting the Punisher in a shared universe just plain raises too many stupid ethical debates.

Rosario Dawson has revealed that Punisher is coming back, and it seems Jon Bernthal will return. Dawson's role as Claire Temple might be making a comeback too.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I still haven't finished S2. I think I got about 4ep in, and I never finished. That was years ago.

The best Punisher season we got was Daredevil S2. lol

Dawson has backtracked her previous comments, but the cat's out of the bag, I reckon. The MCU better not goof him up too much.

Quote from: Travesty on Mon,  8 Aug  2022, 14:14
The best Punisher season we got was Daredevil S2. lol

I agree, Punisher's appearances in Daredevil Season Two were brilliant. I'd go far and say he saved the weakest season of the entire Daredevil Netflix show The moral debate he had with Matt on the rooftop and overall conflict was a highlight of that season.

His solo show wasn't too bad, first season was better than the second. But nothing had the same impact as Frank Castle's debut in Daredevil.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei