Marvel's Punisher

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 29 Apr 2016, 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic
People say that Marvel has gone all "SJW" in recent years, but I don't think that applies to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I mention this because a media source teased the new villain John Pilgrim as a "MAGA Trump supporting religious fundamentalist." And after seeing season 2, I can tell you that's simply
intentionally dishonest media at play. It's funny that his religious side is more positive than anything, and leads him away from a life of hate. The idea of religion and redemption is almost comparable to Daredevil, although on the flip side, he justifies acts of violence and murder by twisting Bible verses. The big reveal for the character is that he's a mirror of Frank himself, doing acts of evil for a noble cause.

To nobody's surprise, Netflix has officially cancelled The Punisher. They've also pulled the plug on Jessica Jones.

Quote"Marvel's The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix," Netflix confirmed today to Deadline. "Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come," the streamer added.

"In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel's Jessica Jones," Netflix also made official this President's Day. "We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others".

"We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning."
https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-punisher-jessica-jones-canceled-netflix-marvel-krysten-ritter-jon-bernthal-1202535835/

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri,  1 Feb  2019, 04:59
People say that Marvel has gone all "SJW" in recent years, but I don't think that applies to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I mention this because a media source teased the new villain John Pilgrim as a "MAGA Trump supporting religious fundamentalist." And after seeing season 2, I can tell you that's simply
intentionally dishonest media at play. It's funny that his religious side is more positive than anything, and leads him away from a life of hate. The idea of religion and redemption is almost comparable to Daredevil, although on the flip side, he justifies acts of violence and murder by twisting Bible verses. The big reveal for the character is that he's a mirror of Frank himself, doing acts of evil for a noble cause.
Brie Larson is getting pretty woke these days. It's bad enough that some first weekend box office estimates for Captain Marvel have tumbled by as much as $100 million. At the rate things are going, the movie might barely break even. I'm not predicting anything, you understand. Just saying that the trajectory of the MCU is starting to look like it might follow Star Wars.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 18 Feb  2019, 18:03
To nobody's surprise, Netflix has officially cancelled The Punisher. They've also pulled the plug on Jessica Jones.
Jessica Jones is the one that really hurts. Everybody has always intuitively understood that Daredevil was always a great character even if his live action incarnations didn't really live up to the fullness of the character and his world.

But Netflix put Jessica Jones on the map in a way she never had been before. She got a ton of exposure out of that and is more popular now than she was to begin with. I daresay the character has a brighter future in comics now than she might've had otherwise. As you say, it's not a surprise. But it still hurts a little bit.

Eminem's not happy about the Punisher being cancelled.

He probably misses the good old days when they co-starred in the comics.

I'd rather read the Punisher/Archie crossover again than go anywhere near that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 22 Feb  2019, 04:23I'd rather read the Punisher/Archie crossover again
That's a pretty underrated crossover, in fact. I really dig it.

I never knew Eminem was a comics fan. It's just odd to me for some reason. lol

I'm just disappointed that Uri Geller didn't call out Netflix for cancelling Daredevil.

My memory of it is that I got a few episodes in to season 01 and then abandoned it. I think I was beginning my "I'm fed up with superheroes" thing when that season came out.

Frankly, I'm still not fully out of that phase yet. But the Punisher isn't a superhero in the strictest sense of the word so I've been able to read some Garth Ennis comics.

And now, I'm coming back to the show. And I'm really enjoying it so far. My view has always been that there's not much you can do in terms of character development with Frank Castle. The guy's psychological profile is what it is. The franchise of the Punisher is him swooping in and blowing bad guys into the next life. The show seems to be largely working with that limitation. And it is a limitation, for sure.

Anyway, good show so far.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 12 Jan  2021, 18:23
My memory of it is that I got a few episodes in to season 01 and then abandoned it. I think I was beginning my "I'm fed up with superheroes" thing when that season came out.

Frankly, I'm still not fully out of that phase yet. But the Punisher isn't a superhero in the strictest sense of the word so I've been able to read some Garth Ennis comics.

And now, I'm coming back to the show. And I'm really enjoying it so far. My view has always been that there's not much you can do in terms of character development with Frank Castle. The guy's psychological profile is what it is. The franchise of the Punisher is him swooping in and blowing bad guys into the next life. The show seems to be largely working with that limitation. And it is a limitation, for sure.

Anyway, good show so far.
There are certain comic book runs that are sacred for some people. Lee/Romita on Spider-Man. Lee/Kirby on Fantastic Four. Frank Miller on Daredevil. Numerous others too. For a lot of fans, those runs are sacred.

And that's pretty much where I'm coming from with the Garth Ennis run on the Punisher. Particularly Punisher MAX. The Ennis stuff is sacred to me and I adore the concept of Castle as a Vietnam vet. That's the character's origin and I still think that's what works best. I'm guessing the showrunners cast the relatively young Jon Bernthal because they (understandably) thought their show would have a much longer life than it ultimately had. But knowing what we do, I think I would've appreciated it more if they'd cast someone old enough to have believably served in Vietnam.

An older, more experienced, more gristled Castle like we saw in Punisher MAX would've been right in my wheelhouse. I like Bernthal okay in the role. Easily he's the best there's ever been in live action (which is saying a lot). I just think that things could've been better, that's all. It's unlikely that we'll ever see a MAX-style Punisher in the MCU since everything in the MCU needs to be a Care Bears movie or a comedy or something. But there's always hope, I guess.