RIP Prince

Started by eledoremassis02, Thu, 21 Apr 2016, 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll be listening to the entire Batman album as my way of paying respects.

I pity anybody who doesn't get a chuckle out of the Joker dancing to Partyman at the museum or Trust during the parade. Truely great black comedy moments to the tune of funky music.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Those scenes convinced me Jack Nicholson is the best actor at least of his times, maybe all times. The music accented it so well.

Y'all know I'm a Returns girl first but I love the self contained piece of art that the first one is and the music, Danny Elfman contasting with Prince, paints a wonderful background. So good.

Fri, 22 Apr 2016, 16:02 #12 Last Edit: Fri, 22 Apr 2016, 16:29 by Catwoman
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 22 Apr  2016, 00:52
There have only been three real times where major personalities passing's have affected me to the point where I'm embarrassed to admit I've almost shed tears. The first being Christopher Reeve and the second Harold Ramis. Prince is the third.

Beyond devastated by this. In the Superman franchise we of course have lost faces like Jackie Cooper, Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor over the years but Prince is really the first major person we have now lost from the Batman franchise. He was by all means the single last person I expected to depart first. From here on in things will get worrying.

I never got a chance to see him. I came close all too recently. There were reports of him bringing his Piano and a Microphone tour here to Liverpool but those plans alas seemed to be cancelled after the Paris attacks of last year. Now they will never come to be.

I first saw his image in, of all places, my old Panini Batman movie sticker album. A two page section on him featuring photo's from his then Lovesexy tour. I remember being astounded reading his apparent ability to play all his instruments himself and produce his music. Which I interpreted at him playing guitar, drums and keyboards all at the precise same time! lol Still even at that young age I knew this man had something special about him.

So grateful he was given that film project in 1989. It introduced me to him (at just the age of one) and thrilled my young imagination. As Jack Nicholson memorably tore apart a Gotham art museum it was the magical music of Prince that allowed we, as an audience, to revel in the fun on-screen wickedness of this classic character through the funkiest beat Gotham City will ever hear. A moment that will live in film and music history forever. Thank you for making me happy Prince! The bat signal shines in love and respect for YOU tonight...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-fSOds9AU

First of all never be embarrassed by crying or nearly crying in a moment of sadness. It's not a sign of weakness but a sign of the strength of your love for someone or something. Real men cry, hun. It's ok :)

Second and I know this is a bad time to be contradictory but we've had some loss. Pat Hingle, Michael Gough, the actor who played Eckhart who's name escapes me atm, and Jack Palance. Doesn't make another part passing away at all any easier though.

lol at your thinking that "playing all instruments" meant simultaneously because I thought the same thing! I think it was a John Fogerty album my mom told me about that made me think that. I pictured him using something like you would have seen a who using in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to do them at once! Oh the innocent naivete of childhood.

Michael Keaton has paid his respects:

QuoteMichael Keaton may forever be associated with Prince in some fans' minds because the movie star and the pop star both worked on 1989's "Batman" — the actor starring as the caped crusader and the musician performing the song "Batdance," which became a No. 1 hit.

But that association meant less to Keaton than his pure admiration for Prince at the time of the pop star's death Thursday.

"I put him up there with Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, Miles [Davis] among the true greats," said Keaton. "Some musicians had their moments. He had what seemed like centuries of being great."

Keaton said he was in his car in his driveway in Los Angeles when he heard the news on the radio of a body being discovered at Prince's Minneapolis home. He imagined it had to be a family member, or someone else, anyone but the singer.

"He was one of those people you just assume, 'I am going to be watching what Prince does when he is 80,'" Keaton said. "And it is going to be as good or better, and as innovative, as it is now."

The actor, who will appear later this year in "The Founder" as McDonald's-creator Ray Kroc, said he once spent time on a Trans-Atlantic flight with Prince. "He did it how he wanted to do it, but it never appeared arrogant, to me anyway," Keaton said. "He seemed to have this beautiful, cool, elusive image. And it seemed real. And, if he did use it to market himself, he did that better than anyone else, too."

The two did not work directly together on the Tim Burton-directed "Batman." But the "Birdman" actor said he appreciated Prince before and after the making of the film. He admired the fact that Prince always worked out of his home base. "He was a special person who didn't have to move to New York or Paris or Los Angeles for fame. He stayed right there in Minneapolis. There was no one who did it like Prince did it."
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/prince-dead-michael-keaton-batman-1201758636/

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 22 Apr  2016, 16:02
Second and I know this is a bad time to be contradictory but we've had some loss. Pat Hingle, Michael Gough, the actor who played Eckhart who's name escapes me atm, and Jack Palance. Doesn't make another part passing away at all any easier though.
This is very true.  Jack Palance in particular is a cinematic legend.  I suppose what sets apart the deaths of Hingle, Gough and Palance from say Prince, is that the former were all fairly old when they passed away.

William Hootkins (the guy who played Eckhart) and Vincent Schiavelli (The Organ Grinder in Batman Returns) and the recently departed Jan Hooks (Jen in BR) were however all relatively young when they died.  And let's not forget the first most significant death related to a prestigious member of the 'Batman '89' production team, the Oscar-winning production designer Anton Furst who committed suicide in 1991.  :(

That said, as a HUGE Prince fan his death is the one that has affected me the most of the Batman/Batman Returns alumni. 
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 22 Apr  2016, 16:07
Michael Keaton has paid his respects:

QuoteMichael Keaton may forever be associated with Prince in some fans' minds because the movie star and the pop star both worked on 1989's "Batman" — the actor starring as the caped crusader and the musician performing the song "Batdance," which became a No. 1 hit.

But that association meant less to Keaton than his pure admiration for Prince at the time of the pop star's death Thursday.

"I put him up there with Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, Miles [Davis] among the true greats," said Keaton. "Some musicians had their moments. He had what seemed like centuries of being great."

Keaton said he was in his car in his driveway in Los Angeles when he heard the news on the radio of a body being discovered at Prince's Minneapolis home. He imagined it had to be a family member, or someone else, anyone but the singer.

"He was one of those people you just assume, 'I am going to be watching what Prince does when he is 80,'" Keaton said. "And it is going to be as good or better, and as innovative, as it is now."

The actor, who will appear later this year in "The Founder" as McDonald's-creator Ray Kroc, said he once spent time on a Trans-Atlantic flight with Prince. "He did it how he wanted to do it, but it never appeared arrogant, to me anyway," Keaton said. "He seemed to have this beautiful, cool, elusive image. And it seemed real. And, if he did use it to market himself, he did that better than anyone else, too."

The two did not work directly together on the Tim Burton-directed "Batman." But the "Birdman" actor said he appreciated Prince before and after the making of the film. He admired the fact that Prince always worked out of his home base. "He was a special person who didn't have to move to New York or Paris or Los Angeles for fame. He stayed right there in Minneapolis. There was no one who did it like Prince did it."
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/prince-dead-michael-keaton-batman-1201758636/
Thanks for posting this Silver Nemesis (a poster at the IMDb Batman '89 board also posted this article).  As devastating as Prince's death is, it pleases me to read that his work and legacy is so well regarded by other members of the 'Batman '89' cast and crew.

I particularly like this statement from Keaton: "He did it how he wanted to do it, but it never appeared arrogant, to me anyway"  That completely rings true.  Prince was a self-possessed maverick but that didn't make him conceited or contemptuous of other people's opinions and abilities.  He simply wanted to make and perform music on his own terms, and his incredible discography more than justifies that self-belief and determination to do it 'how he wanted to do it'.  :)

As upsetting as Prince's death is for a fan like me, perhaps it along with Keaton's career comeback, might promote a much deserved reappraisal of (the best Batman film) Batman '89.

I think it would be an appropriate time to discuss our favourite Batman movie album songs by Prince, regardless whether it featured in the actual movie or not.

My favourite song would have to be Trust. It compliments the playful nuttiness of the Joker, as he takes control of the bicentennial parade in the middle of the city and delivers his promise to give everybody in attendance money. Of course in the back of his mind, the Joker looks down at the fools as he plans to murder everybody there.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 23 Apr  2016, 10:11
I think it would be an appropriate time to discuss our favourite Batman movie album songs by Prince, regardless whether it featured in the actual movie or not.

My favourite song would have to be Trust. It compliments the playful nuttiness of the Joker, as he takes control of the bicentennial parade in the middle of the city and delivers his promise to give everybody in attendance money. Of course in the back of his mind, the Joker looks down at the fools as he plans to murder everybody there.

That's mine too

Loved his music for Batman. Not the biggest fan of pop music, but I love Partyman and Trust, and how they are used in the film. Requiescat in pace.