Who should be the villain in Affleck's solo Batman film?

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think should be the main villain in Affleck's forthcoming solo Batman movie?

I've allowed you to change votes, so it would be great if some of you could offer a explanation as to your choice so we can get an idea what the general feeling is.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I've chosen Black Mask, mainly because he's one of the most interesting, and nastiest, of the Batman rogues we've yet to see on the big-screen, and I think a character who starts off as a contemporary/school-peer/rival businessman to Bruce Wayne would make for a fascinating dynamic, especially if a similarly handsome and charismatic actor to Affleck was chosen for the part (imagine how awesome Matt Damon would be as Roman Sionis!)

That said, I'd also want to see Catwoman incorporated into any story featuring Black Mask, and although I'd disagree, some people might feel that it was too early to introduce a new big-screen Catwoman after 2012's TDKR.  Personally, I'd love to see Olga Kurylenko or Affleck's rumoured current girl-friend, Charlize Theron, play Catwoman, as they're both only a few years younger than Affleck, and more than capable of playing a feisty and ultra-athletic anti-heroine.

I'd like to see them follow up on Robin's 'death' and bring Red Hood into the mix at some point. And I also like the idea of exploring some of the more outlandish characters who were excluded from Nolan's trilogy: Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat, the Court of Owls, etc.

However, if I could only pick one villain I think it would have to be... the Riddler. For several reasons. Firstly, there's never been a dark cinematic version of Nygma before now. Secondly, it's been over 20 years since we last saw him on the big screen. And thirdly, it would make a nice payoff for the Riddler Easter egg in Batman v Superman.

I know it's trendy at the moment to stuff these films with as many characters as possible, but I prefer the idea of a more focused, streamlined narrative where Batman faces just one main opponent. We haven't seen that since Batman 89. I don't mind a lesser known adversary like Amygdala or Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Killer Croc providing some extra muscle for Batman to fight, but only in a minor supporting role. As far as the main antagonist goes, I think there should just be one. And Riddler's the perfect candidate.

I want Clayface so bad, but I know we'll get The Joker.

I have a feeling we're only getting one solo movie out of Affleck.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 13 Apr  2016, 17:11I have a feeling we're only getting one solo movie out of Affleck.
Me too.  :(  But I'm sure if it's as good as we hope/expect, and it makes a ton of money, WB will do practically anything to keep him for a follow-up/follow-ups.

At age 44 Affleck is already the oldest actor to play Batman (Keaton was second at age 41) so it depends how long he can handle the physicality.

Hoping for no joker, catwoman, two face, or bane as we've seen them all at least twice. I'd prefer to see a villain never portrayed live before, my choice would be the mad hatter.

The solo film will be the end of his run, probably. But that would've been five appearances, more than any other live action Batman.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Apr  2016, 00:00
The solo film will be the end of his run, probably. But that would've been five appearances, more than any other live action Batman.
I think Affleck's Batman deserves to be seen in some really good movies so I'm hoping that he'll make more than one solo movie.  He isn't that old, and he's most likely in better shape than most men half his age.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Apr  2016, 00:00
Yeah, I know, but when you see someone like RDJ with Iron Man, he had a full trilogy, and then he'll be in 5 different teamup movies. So overall, he has a prominent role in 8 MCU movies.

I was just hoping we would get a trilogy, but I just have that feeling like the solo will be it. But who knows, maybe that will change if the solo movie is a success.

I'd be cool if we held off from seeing Scarecrow or Ra's for awhile after how prominent they were in the previous trilogy.

We know from the trailers that Joker and Harley will encounter Batman. Hope we'll see Affleck's Batman face off against Deadshot and Killer Croc too (and maybe even encounter Katana), either in Suicide Squad or in a later film.

As for new villains, maybe it's from watching Gotham lately but I'd love to see Penguin, Riddler, or Hugo Strange up against Affleck's Batman. While Robin Lord Taylor has an interesting take on Penguin, we haven't had a traditional Penguin onscreen since Burgess Meredith. SN is right that we haven't seen a cinematic "dark" Riddler. Corey Michael Smith on Gotham is the closest though I personally think they went a little too far with the serial killer angle. And Hugo Strange has never been on the big screen before (though BD Wong is doing an excellent job playing him and I'm having trouble thinking of another actor who could take it on right now).

Would also love to see Selina since that ties into Bruce's "I've known a few women like you" line from BvS (and they should actually call her Catwoman this time :))
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...