Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Wed, 25 May  2016, 13:58
Spider-man has so many villains I prefer having the Kingpin as a daredevil foe; I guess spidey is an underdog of sorts too but I think daredevil has had better battles; Kingpin corrupts the legal system Matt Murdock spends his days upholding and Murdock has his own legal system. The fact that he's not superpowered makes Kingpin a better physical adversary for Daredevil than Spidey as well. And of course tying the Kingpin to Jack Murdocks death adds meat there.

Kingpin's involvement in Jack Murdock's death was exclusive to the 2003 film, where they basically copied the plot twist from Batman 89 about the Joker killing the Waynes. But in the comics and the Netflix show, Kingpin wasn't actually involved in Jack's death.

Much as I'd love the MCU films to acknowledge the TV content – and I think they might finally do so with the Infinity Wars movies – I'm not sure Kingpin would be a good fit for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Imagine if some kid went to see the film and then Googled Kingpin, only to find this:

I'd love to see Charlie Cox show up as Matt Murdock, but it might be better if he didn't appear in costume. I don't think parents would react well to their kids seeing Daredevil ground-and-pound some drug dealer's face into a bloody pulp.

I haven't seen all of "Daredevil" yet, but I find it hard to believe anything could be as stomach-churning as that scene where The Kingpin decapitates a Russian lackey's head by smashing a door against his head/neck.  :o
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wait until you reach season 2...

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 25 May  2016, 13:58
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 25 May  2016, 11:15
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 24 May  2016, 14:26
Once things I love is that the MCU isn't pretentious and doesn't tell audiences what they should enjoy, they are looking for ways to make their sequels better.

The best thing about the MCU over the years is it has become so rich that you can turn to the more serious and grim Netflix shows i.e. Daredevil and Jessica Jones if you don't like the mainstream movies. One way or the other, there's an outlet for somebody to appreciate in this mega franchise.

There was a little rumour that Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin would appear in the new Spider-Man but unsurprisingly he confirmed it's not happening. It makes sense because I strongly doubt the movies and the R-Rated Netflix universe will ever cross over.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/spider-man/news/a795232/spider-man-homecoming-vincent-donofrio-denies-wilson-fisk-rumours/
When Joss Whedon was running the MCU the rule he came up with is that the television shows have to consider the films to be canon but the movies don't need to consider the shows canon. So for example in the films we are to assume Coulson is dead and had Agent Carter continued, they could not contradict continuity from Winter soldier or civil war (for instance since we know the eventual fates of Peggy Carter and Howard Stark, agent carter had to ensure they did not contradict future continuity)

That's true, Daredevil and Jessica Jones made references to the Avengers at various points. JJ had an episode where the main character became the subject of revenge by two angry survivors who blamed the Avengers and all superhumans for losing everything in the Battle of New York. Which - and forgive me for digressing by the way - I find it a bit rich nobody is complaining about ordinary people demonising the heroes in the MCU, but whined about Wallace Keefe's hatred over Superman in BvS.

But I don't expect the movies to return the favour for the shows. Civil War had actress Alfre Woodard playing a secretary who blamed Tony Stark for causing her son's death in Sokovia, but she's playing a totally different character in the Luke Cage TV show.

As for news that Michael Keaton is likely becoming the new Spider-Man villain? Let's put it this way: I was holding on (very) faint hope that he would've played Hugo Strange in a future Batfleck movie. It would've been ironic if an actor who played Batman from a bygone era ended up returning to the franchise as a villain who is obsessed with Batman.  ;D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 26 May  2016, 13:57

As for news that Michael Keaton is likely becoming the new Spider-Man villain? Let's put it this way: I was holding on (very) faint hope that he would've played Hugo Strange in a future Batfleck movie. It would've been ironic if an actor who played Batman from a bygone era ended up returning to the franchise as a villain who is obsessed with Batman.  ;D

In the days of so many sequels and remakes I can't think of a single case where an actor who played a protagonist later plays an antagonist.

In the longest yard remake, two characters from the original made appearances; Burt Reynolds who is still a good guy, and the warden who plays a friend of the new warden.

John Wesley Shipp played the Flash and later father of the Flash.

As far as I know, no major actors in any of the live action Batman universes have reprised roles (I believe one of the scientists from Batman and Robin was also in the dark knight). Adam West as offered to play Bruce Waynes father in the 1989 film but declined.

Christopher Reeve played a character in smallville (on the same side as Clark Kent).

The only thing I'd worry about with Keaton as a Batman villain is would it get in the way of the actual story? It would be cool at first but it could turn out like Superman Returns with endless homages to previous films. I'm hoping the filmmakers put more efforts into making a good film than simply getting a beloved actor to play a role and reminding us of a classic film from the 80's

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 30 May  2016, 20:41
As far as I know, no major actors in any of the live action Batman universes have reprised roles (I believe one of the scientists from Batman and Robin was also in the dark knight). Adam West as offered to play Bruce Waynes father in the 1989 film but declined.

No major actors that I can think of, though another supporting actor to have appeared in more than one film is Vincent Wong. He played a crime lord in Batman 89...

...and one of Bruce Wayne's fellow prisoners in Batman Begins.

And of course Paul Reubens played the Penguin's dad in both Batman Returns and Gotham.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 31 May  2016, 20:28
And of course Paul Reubens played the Penguin's dad in both Batman Returns and Gotham.
Indeed, and contrary to riddler's comment 'In the days of so many sequels and remakes I can't think of a single case where an actor who played a protagonist later plays an antagonist', one could argue that Reubens was a villain in Batman Returns but a real sweetie in "Gotham" (shame the latter came to an untimely end  :( ).

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 31 May  2016, 20:55
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 31 May  2016, 20:28
Indeed, and contrary to riddler's comment 'In the days of so many sequels and remakes I can't think of a single case where an actor who played a protagonist later plays an antagonist', one could argue that Reubens was a villain in Batman Returns but a real sweetie in "Gotham" (shame the latter came to an untimely end  :( ).

Would his character be a villain in returns? He was a bad father to the villain so essentially he was a villain to the villain. Does that make him a protagonist?

I'm not caught up on Gotham BTW so my previous post is not including anyone who may have shown up in season 2

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  1 Jun  2016, 13:45
Would his character be a villain in returns? He was a bad father to the villain so essentially he was a villain to the villain. Does that make him a protagonist?

I'm not caught up on Gotham BTW so my previous post is not including anyone who may have shown up in season 2
To be fair, I was rather overstretching the point.

I was simply noting the striking difference between the parental philosophies of Daddy Cobblepot in 'Batman Returns' and in "Gotham" (although they're both played by Paul Reubens, and both men are wealthy aristocratic types).

I do also think it's fair to describe Tucker and Esther Cobblepots as villains of sorts in 'Batman Returns' seeing how their actions (i.e. dumping Oswald into the sewer) contributed to making him a monster.

I wonder if this movie could bag $1+ billion worldwide. Based on the performance of the Webb movies, I'd think it more likely to end up in the $800-900 million range. But you never know. Raimi's movies came close to a billion, and that was without 3D ticket revenue. If Homecoming did gross over a billion, it'd be Downey's fifth consecutive appearance as Stark to do so. And it'd be Michael Keaton's third movie to reach ten figures after Toy Story 3 and Minions.

At present, the total WW gross of each Batman actor's filmography (according to boxofficemojo.com) is as follows:

1.   Clooney - $4,599.5 million
2.   Affleck - $4,461.9 million
3.   Bale - $4,383.3 million
4.   Keaton - $4,054.4 million
5.   Kilmer - $1,734.4 million

If Homecoming does make over a billion, it should bump Keaton up a place or two. Unless of course the other actors appear in equally lucrative films over the next 12 months. And since Affleck's got Suicide Squad and Justice League coming up, I'm guessing he's going to take the top spot from Clooney.